Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked a lot about the INTJ girlfriend I have, but I'd like some other opinions on how/whether these two types get along - not just as partners, but also as friends. Do you think it's a sublime logical compatibility, or a sub-zero logical impasse? I'm aware that "any two types can get along if they try", but what is your experience?

If you have any comments or stories, post them! I especially welcome posts from IxTJs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a former friend who is an INTJ. I got along with him until today. We would have a laugh.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I get along with the INTJ's I know well enough. To put it extremely simplistically: Different thought processes to arrive at the same/similar end result. Both parties keeping this in mind can potentially avoid the "WTF are you crazy?!" moments in the relationship/friendship.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just found out that my coworker that I get along with best is an INTJ. We talk to each other more than we talk to our fellow techs. His thought process just amazes me. That should have been my first clue that he is an INTJ. When we are left to our own devices with no supervisors around we stand on our desks to talk over our cubicles and/or throw random shit at each other. Act like children basically but we still get our work done and never miss a phone call.

Then there is my INTJ girlfriend who we have discussed before.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I've only heard good things being said about the ISTJ-INTJ pairing (either as friends or in a relationship). But not so much with ISFJs and INTJs.

But I think most people are easy to get along with anyhow (get along with doesn't imply being friends though).

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I've got a friend in the USA that is a Mensa - I'm fairly sure is an INTJ. Very logical and smart guy, yet we can laugh our asses off at the stupidest stuff.

And I like it when I go wandering into the INTJ forums. <_<

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
One of my best friends is an INTJ. In our case it's also true, different thought processes but often same result. We do get in plenty of arguments, but unlike what happened with an INTJ friend of his, we don't stop talking to each other. If the argument gets to strenuous, we change the subject to something we both agree on. He's extremely funny and we can talk for a long time (we've gone on road trips before on our way home from college and we never get bored).

My brother's also an INTJ. I don't see him very often because we live in different time zones and he's way older than me, but we can immediately jump into an intellectual conversation when we talk. One of the recent conversations we had was actually about the MBTI and the Enneagram!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have many, many friends of many, many types, but my friend (and former co-worker) John who's INTJ gets me in a way no one else does! Plus we have very similar interests and senses of humor.

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Of the 3 people I'd consider closest to me/get along with the best, 2 are INTJ (I'm married to an INTJ) and one is ISTJ. And yes, I get the "same conclusion, different thought process" occurrence a lot with INTJs. Besides my brother (who last tested as INFJ), these the ones I would bend over backwards for and who would do the same for me.

I wish I knew what some of my closer friends in college would have tested as, though one I'm pretty certain was an NTJ.

Reactions: NIHM and Sela

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know an INTJ that's one of my personal heroes. She is about 15 years older than I am, but we have great conversations on almost any topic.

I've also worked with an INTJ and we didn't always get along. She would often ignore me or act like I didn't know which end was up. She generally had a disdainful attitude at work, so I tried not to take it personally. The following thread expresses some of the struggles we had relating to each other:

http://personalitycafe.com/intj-forum-scientists/17014-intj-istj-compatibility.html

Reactions: Rhee

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A song for every occasion...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have two INTJ friends: one guy and one girl. I'm not close to them, but I like them!!! And I would like more INTJ friends!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
INTJs are great, as long as you're on their good side. I know a couple and we get along real well, we seem to get each other's sense of humor.

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
I've talked a lot about the INTJ girlfriend I have, but I'd like some other opinions on how/whether these two types get along - not just as partners, but also as friends. Do you think it's a sublime logical compatibility, or a sub-zero logical impasse? I'm aware that "any two types can get along if they try", but what is your experience?

If you have any comments or stories, post them! I especially welcome posts from IxTJs.
My longest-running friendship is with an ISTJ. He doesn't grasp my sarcasm (or, more likely, doesn't find it amusing) but we both find the same films/shows amusing and we both have zero tolerance for stupidity and illogical behavior. We both bitch about people who make our jobs more difficult and identify with each other's anger and frustration.

I suspect a marriage (INTJ) to an ISTJ would be somewhat dull, to both partners. We make decisions based on logic but the data we use to arrive at our decisions is worlds apart. Plus where an Si user is more inclined to enjoy traditions/ceremony, the Ni/Se user is more inclined to think they're stupid and want to avoid them.

I hate all holidays and passionately hate the holiday season. I love Thanksgiving...only because I get to stuff my face. I also hate birthdays and REALLY hate when other people expect me to care about theirs.

There are lots of other conflicts between Si and Se (like the Se, even inferior Se, user's need to EXPERIENCE things).

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts

Well. They sure can get along. Although the INTJ girl that I knew in HS was my secret enemy since she transferred to my school and all of a sudden I wasn't the smartest. :tongue: Other than that, I don't really know any INTJs. (Oh wait, my cousin is one. Sure, we get along great. But his ENFJ wife is always mediating. :wink:)

Although @WamphyriThrall and I get along pretty good. I try to answer his endless questions about type, but I feel like my answers are not as far-reaching and in depth as he'd like.

Also, I kinda believe in enneagram more than MBTI for compatibility atm.

INTJs are very commonly 5s (tied with 1 and 8). So if she is indeed a 5, and you are indeed a 1, no wonder you get along. :wink: Look here.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
@MBTI Enthusiast (D: can't make lowercase) interesting. I don't know if I could handle a 1, though. A 1 would probably think I'm a slacker.

But maybe it makes sense. I tend to be more interested in wimminz that aren't into super girly things like The Notebook and shopping, and gossiping and general drama causing. Hmmmmm. How interesting.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts