Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I’m new here and I am desperate for some guidance. =(

I am a 26 year old female ISTJ, and since graduating with my B.S. in Computer Science two years ago, I have been working as a software engineer. Numerous career counselors have administered career aptitude and personalitytests to me over the years – all of which mostly tell me I should be working with computers. However, I’m miserable at my job. I’m surrounded with people and I have to work side by side with people all day long – something that makes me very unhappy. As ISTJs, we know that we would prefer not to be around people, and this is something I struggle with daily. Additionally, I’m not a problem solver. I do this constantly at work and I hate it. Engineering is NOT an ISTJ career!!!

Additionally, I always have had a deep passion for animals. I love to learn about them, be around them, and try to figure them out. I feel a special bond with them, which, as I have gathered from my readings on here, is common for ISTJs. I can’t go through life without embarking on an animal-related career. I just don’t know what to do! I definitely know that I don’t want to be in a medical scenario or any situation where animals are in pain and/or dying.

Are there any ISTJs out there with animal-career experience? Does anybody have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!I really, REALLY appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely wouldn't be opposed to going back to school - especially if I could do it online. I wouldn't be interested in anything in the medical field because (1) I'm squeamish and (2) I couldn't deal with animals dying/bring in pain all day - I'd be a basket case!!!

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Huh, well that's unfortunate. I'm about to graduate with a Master's degree in biomedical engineering. :shocked: I hope I'm not miserable in my future jobs.

Though I am not as fond of animals as you are. Are you sure you are ISTJ?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Huh, well that's unfortunate. I'm about to graduate with a Master's degree in biomedical engineering. :shocked: I hope I'm not miserable in my future jobs.

Ahh yes, the age-old question that seems to throw 1/4 of all appeals for help into the confusion loop that results from us ISTJs scratching our heads and wondering why the shoe doesn't fit. Let's make sure we lay the proper factual foundation by determining that OP is indeed an ISTJ. Then we can engage in a discussion using the proper tools.

"Engineering" is very much like "medicine." It's a catch-all term that describes a wide number of fields that are often times vastly different and in many cases, unrelated. Putting aside the question of whether an ISTJ would excel and be happy in engineering for just a moment, I think we need to first accept that we're best off not referring to "engineering" as a single monolithic field. After all, sanitation engineers (i.e. "Garbage collectors) are in a literal sense involved in engineering.

I would think ISTJs would perform quite nicely in certain engineering fields with their attention to detail.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Is there a zoo in your city? Maybe they have a summer camp - a weeklong experience volunteering there, which will give you a taste of what it's like to work there?

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm an ISTJ whose life's dream is to collect all the cats on the planet and live with them on a huge farm surrounded by a very high fence, where they (and I) would be safe and happy and love each other.

My school has a program for training guide dogs. See if there's something like that in your area.

Work in a doggy day care? Get experience, and then open your own?

My friend has a home/pet sitter business.

Just a few ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I have taken many tests and they all say that I am ISTJ.
SoftBoiledLife is correct in that there are many types of engineering. Have you actually worked in the field yet? I know that if I had I would have changed my education path immediately. I wish you lots of luck in your career!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a zoo in your city? Maybe they have a summer camp - a weeklong experience volunteering there, which will give you a taste of what it's like to work there?

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm an ISTJ whose life's dream is to collect all the cats on the planet and live with them on a huge farm surrounded by a very high fence, where they (and I) would be safe and happy and love each other.

My school has a program for training guide dogs. See if there's something like that in your area.

Work in a doggy day care? Get experience, and then open your own?

My friend has a home/pet sitter business.

Just a few ideas.
Thank you DaisyChain for your ideas! I have actually looked into some of them :)

May I ask what you do for work as an ISTJ and an animal lover? I just wonder what type of career would satisfy our love for animals and our personalities.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thank you DaisyChain for your ideas! I have actually looked into some of them :)

May I ask what you do for work as an ISTJ and an animal lover? I just wonder what type of career would satisfy our love for animals and our personalities.
You are welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't think of more.

I'm a scientist, but I don't work with animals more evolved than creepy crawlers. My conscience couldn't take it.

All I can do is feed and love cats.

·
Registered
470 Posts
you mean like this?

a 1928 children's book Millions of Cats by author and illlustrator Wanda Gag

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
you mean like this?

a 1928 children's book Millions of Cats by author and illlustrator Wanda Gag
Thank you thank you thank you!!!! This looks fantastic! I must find me a copy of this book.

You know those stick figures people put on their cars, which describe their family? You should see my husband's. It's a "man's man" kind of work van, and I got him the stick figures for his birthday. They show a man with a tool belt (him), a woman with books (me), and four cats in a row (our girls). His buddies make fun of him, but he's proud to display the stick figures. He says lots of women drivers smile at him after they see the row of cats. He's retired, so he takes care of the cats during the day while I'm at work. He tells people that he's a "stay at home dad" - can I pick 'em or what! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't think of more.

I'm a scientist, but I don't work with animals more evolved than creepy crawlers. My conscience couldn't take it.

All I can do is feed and love cats.
Totally understand. During my Computer Science undergrad I contacted a biology professor who did work in animal behavior. I wanted to work with him until I found out that he did 100% of his research in his lab, with live birds in cages. Horrible =(

Have you ever thought about a career working more closely with animals? My passion is so strong that I don't feel I can possibly go through life happily without dedicating my life's work to animals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts