Personality Cafe banner

ISTJ humor

[ISTJ] 
21K views 100 replies 45 participants last post by  niss 
#1 ·
When you're with other people, what type of jokes make you laugh?

#2 ·
Mostly the funny ones.:wink:

To be funny, it needs to have a grain of truth, be appropriate for the setting, not rude, crude, or socially unacceptable, and witty. Dry humor is appreciated. Especially appreciated is a well thought out, humorously delivered statement that points out a double standard or some other problem in a logical discussion. "Zingers" if you will.

#5 ·
Especially appreciated is a well thought out, humorously delivered statement that points out a double standard or some other problem in a logical discussion.
^ This. I don't hear nearly enough of it!
Intelligent humour, dry humour, and here's a shameful secret: I like puns. :crying:
I don't like crude humour, discriminatory humour or humour that plays on stereotypes. Not because it offends me, but because it just doesn't compute.
Basically, I like having to think for my laughs. I don't appreciate mindless mainstream LOLs.

I also don't laugh, as such. I grin often, "huff" occasionally and chuckle rarely.

#9 ·
I take something someone said normally and in my head put it out of context. I find the bible hilarious, seriously, one day you will see a comedy film made/written by me that shows you what goes through my head when I read the bible.

#13 ·
That movie The Other Guys was supposed to be in that category of dry and I didn't find it funny at all, but from what I remember most movies which were of the dry humor were pretty good.

I actually sat through an hour and a half of that god awful movie. Had I walked out in the first hour I think I could have demanded my money back:angry: but I failed. For future reference the reasoning to go to a movie is "because it has to be funny Will Ferrel is in it" should not be good enough, and maybe more of a reason NOT to see it.

#15 ·
We started the new 8-week module of classes today. One of the requirements was that we create a "webpage" on the college website, complete with an avatar or a picture (most people use pictures of themselves, but of course yours truly refuses to do so). LAST module, I used my "find x" avatar that I use here. However, given the grief that I endured with my group project members, who, by the way, are in THIS module also, I decided to use a different avatar. I doubt that they'll get the not-so-subtle "up yours", but I had to put it out there anyway. The avatar is a black background with white text. The text says, "I hate the fact that people don't salute me." Personally, I think it's hilarious.

#17 ·
OMG you seriously made me laugh. You ARE correct, however, in that I DO need to slow it down at times (if you all haven't noticed already, I tend to be a perfectionist). Thanks for the laugh and the great advice.
Having said that, I'm going to make the attempt to take at least one day off per week from work AND school (and by that I mean one day off from both at the same time).

#18 ·
#25 ·
Personally, I find This is a link--> Hipster Hitler<--This is a link. HILARIOUS. You have to know what hipsters are to fully get the humor.

Urban Dictionary defines it at
Referring to young people of around 18-30 years of age, who drink cheap beer (most often Pabst Blue Ribbon), smoke Parliaments, Lucky Strikes or hard to obtain foreign cigarettes (such as Gauloises) and take recreational drugs, coke being the most popular. Use a great deal of sarcasm, claim to be ironic. Are usually less than 5% body fat, drink copious amounts of coffee and eat children's cereal. Listen to Indie Rock, rely heavily on Pitchfork Media to tell them what's cool. Don't dance at concerts. Wear a mixture of thrifted clothing and items bought at American Apparel (commonly Tri-blend v-necks) and Urban Outfitters. Extremely tight jeans worn by both sexes, pairing these with either a band or b-movie t shirt and a plaid shirt/v-neck and a cardigan along with Nike hi-tops/Vans/Keds. Females often wear retro style dresses and racerback tank tops without bras. Eschew public transport and instead choose to ride fixed-break bikes. Often claim to know about literature and film - will have googled a good deal of Vonnegut and French New Wave cinema.
Here's what one typically looks like:

#36 ·
Someone mentioned somewhere in here, that they hardly ever laugh. That reminds me, the ISTJ I know, and possibly another, hardly ever laugh either. He usually makes kind of an air blowing out of his nose kind of noise.

Although I've noticed, ISTJs still have the Ne smile, but it's a lot more faint then with, say, ENPs.

#37 ·
I'd never 'labelled' my 'silent through the nose' laugh but now that you mention it I do that more than actual laughing out loud. I smile quite a lot though sometimes it's just part of my polite mask. What do you mean by the Ne smile?

I found the movie Slither hilarious (Slither (2006) - IMDb). I also cracked up in The Grudge when the guy stepped off the roof (maybe because it was so illogical?).

As for actual verbal jokes that make me laugh I don't really hear many of them. I find it amusing to listen to and 'participate' in 'imaginary' random stories e.g. flying cows etc.

As for the type of humour that I use, it's mainly irony and I find it funny when others use it too. I differentiate irony from sarcasm in that for both, people say the opposite of what they mean BUT sarcasm is when it is said in a way to convey insult/scorn. (I used to interchange the words sarcasm and irony but now I've learnt ^^)

#39 ·
Political jokes and life jokes. An example of the latter is shown below

... I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenteritis, to make an
appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy
showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears
to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through
Minneapolis . Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a
thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I
didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking,
quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'
I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a
prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box
large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in
detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to
fall into the hands of America 's enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being
nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my
preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any
solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically
water, only with less flavor. Then, in the evening, I took the
MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter
plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those
unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then
you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because
MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat
spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a
great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery
bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you
jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here,
but: Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much
the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined
to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And
then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink
another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your
bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you
have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next
morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only
was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return
bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?'How do you
apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be
enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood
and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they
led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little
curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those
hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you
put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually
naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left
hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I
was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their
MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but
then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to
make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire
Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room,
where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not
see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there
somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll
over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something
up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and
I realized that the song was , I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' has to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha
ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for
more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to
tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was
yelling 'Dancing Queen, Feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next
moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.
Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt
excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was
all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have
never been prouder of an internal organ.

#46 ·
I love humour based around the 'stupidity' of people, even if it's something stupid that I may have done myself. Observational stuff.

I've also noticed that if I find something really funny, I seem to laugh about it for a really long time, and when I look around at the people who were also laughing, they aren't even smiling, never mind laughing about it anymore. :blushed:

#48 ·
Thank you for thinking that the joke was funny i thought the same when i first hear it so i posted it here.

Reactions: niss
#51 ·
Bumping. :laughing:

So, I'm curious. Do any ISTJs here think that America's Funniest Home Videos is particularly funny? That almost never does it for me. I dislike seeing people get hurt. It's just not funny. It's painful. Also, I met this INFP (supposedly) guy who really got a kick out of disgusting humor having to do with bodily excretions, etc. I was at a loss for words. He also showed me this video, which I didn't find funny at all:

So freakin' creepy and weird!

So the humor I do like involves irony or sarcasm. I appreciate puns, even if they don't make me die of laughter. Basically it is best when people say clever things that are unexpected, that's when I end up laughing the hardest.

#57 ·
So the humor I do like involves irony or sarcasm. I appreciate puns, even if they don't make me die of laughter. Basically it is best when people say clever things that are unexpected, that's when I end up laughing the hardest.
I don't find AFHV funny at all. The quote above rings true for me, too.

I love sarcasm and dry humor, but find British humor highly obnoxious (sorry, Brits :tongue:). I also enjoy humor that's not "trying" to be funny. If it feels forced, it's not funny.
British Humour can be hysterical to me. I adore several British panel shows for this very reason. I do agree that humor that feels forced isn't funny.

Both the above ring true for me. I need to point out though, I do enjoy a joke that exposes stereotypes for how ridiculous they are.
+1. Despite my amazing depth and maturity *snicker*, I find my sense of humor can be quite juvenile at times. I admit it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.