Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! :)

I'm very much new to all of this and would greatly appreciate some help.

I've taken a few personality tests but I have had two different results. This was using the same test, so clearly I've answered the questions differently. The problem I have is that I find it difficult to answer some of the questions; and I'm not sure whether the answer I am giving is an accurate representation of what I actually think. It's not that I'm being dishonest, rather I'm just not sure.

OK, so the two results I have had are ISTJ and INTJ. I believe that the description of ISTJ is a more accurate description of my personality but I'm not sure. Of course, both could also be wrong. From the description I have read of ISTJ I would agree with pretty much all of it... but then a lot of the description of INTJ seems to apply also so it's confusing.

How do I determine which one is more accurate? I believe it's ISTJ, but clearly my judgement isn't 100% otherwise I wouldn't have had different results.

Thank you in advance,

Genuine

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Hi all! :)

I'm very much new to all of this and would greatly appreciate some help.

I've taken a few personality tests but I have had two different results. This was using the same test, so clearly I've answered the questions differently. The problem I have is that I find it difficult to answer some of the questions; and I'm not sure whether the answer I am giving is an accurate representation of what I actually think. It's not that I'm being dishonest, rather I'm just not sure.

OK, so the two results I have had are ISTJ and INTJ. I believe that the description of ISTJ is a more accurate description of my personality but I'm not sure. Of course, both could also be wrong. From the description I have read of ISTJ I would agree with pretty much all of it... but then a lot of the description of INTJ seems to apply also so it's confusing.

How do I determine which one is more accurate? I believe it's ISTJ, but clearly my judgement isn't 100% otherwise I wouldn't have had different results.

Thank you in advance,

Genuine
Well, if you are interested in an in-depth look then this is a good book: Really Me
The difference between ISTJs and INTJs is however quite large on the less obvious levels (having an ISTJ father then I know how similar we can seem to each other, so similar that we don't understand why the other person doesn't understand which ofc. has to do with our completely different ways to perceive the world).

Thing with both ISJs and ESPs is that they prefer to take things for what they are and not make a too big deal out of them so to speak. Intuition is about making connections between things and that is the weakest point of both ESPs and ISJs, just like both ENPs and INJs have large problems with details and instead can see hidden motives where there are none.
What I am saying is that one thinks with details and one with contexts, but they are both relatively bad at the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. So what are some questions I can ask myself in order to figure out whether I am one or the other? Can you give me an example of what you mean by taking things for what they are and not making a big deal out of them?

Sent from my GT-N7000

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Thank you for your response. So what are some questions I can ask myself in order to figure out whether I am one or the other? Can you give me an example of what you mean by taking things for what they are and not making a big deal out of them?

Sent from my GT-N7000
Well, if anything you can ask yourself if when approaching things you look at the context, how it all connects or if you look at the task itself and its details.
You can ask yourself if sensations for you are objective and unfiltered or if they are subjective and have meaning to you.
You can ask yourself if you tend to discuss with people your ideas or connections or if you prefer to have them in your head until they are refined.

But mostly I suggest reading. :)

An example of the detail vs context thinking would be when my mother (ISFP) pointed out that I didn't cry when our cat died.
For her, that was all she pointed out and and had no particular intention, but as I think in terms of context then I imminently assumed that she claimed I was a cold person.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When approaching things do I look at the context, or the details... well that surely must depend on what it is I'm trying to accomplish; I don't feel I can answer that with certainty.

The situation with your mum is also complicated. If you have reason to believe your mum had bad intent, then your reaction would be justified. But even if you didn't, it's a strange thing to ask that doesn't really make sense; and so I too would have similar thoughts.

Anyway, guess this isn't as simple as I initially thought. I'll keep reading the forum; I'm sure I'll figure it out in the end.

Thank you :)

Sent from my GT-N7000

1 - 5 of 5 Posts