Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new to PerC. I introduced myself in the generic Introductions thread, but I kept it simple. I did not find an ISTJ-specific intro thread, so I made one!

I am an ISTJ female. I am perceived as outgoing and confident, but this is from practicing small talk. My Feeling side is developing from life experiences, but I am definitely still Thinking. My room is messy, but I can find what I'm looking for. (My work area is super organized, though.) Anyone else have their ISTJ-exceptions?

Greetings to any other new ISTJ's! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just noticed a thread called "[ISTJ] Breaking stereotypes of ISTJ". Whoops! Perhaps the ISTJ-exceptions conversation can be moved there. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Welcome! I'm glad you started this thread. My bf is possibly an ISTJ or ESTJ, I can't figure out which but I'm leaning toward ISTJ. He is also outgoing, never says no to a party, and enjoys socializing, but he's also somewhat "silent", only talking when he has to.

He keeps some things like the contents of his bags organized, he's fastidious about what he wears, and he likes to be well-groomed and clean, but he's not an obsessive cleaner and he allows his environment to get a bit messy.

His feeling side is also well-developed. He can be very cuddly and facially expressive! He knows how to comfort people and be generally sensitive. :)

His intuitive side is ok enough to be able to take something away from 'deep' conversations I impose on him :).

I hope you share more about yourself in this forum! :peace:

Reactions: cyhtmt

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Hi everyone! I am new to PerC. I introduced myself in the generic Introductions thread, but I kept it simple. I did not find an ISTJ-specific intro thread, so I made one!

I am an ISTJ female. I am perceived as outgoing and confident, but this is from practicing small talk. My Feeling side is developing from life experiences, but I am definitely still Thinking. My room is messy, but I can find what I'm looking for. (My work area is super organized, though.) Anyone else have their ISTJ-exceptions?

Greetings to any other new ISTJ's! :)
Hello! =) Heh. By default I only organize what I "live inside" in my external environment. Then if other people are involved and if the objective needs it, I will enforce organization for them too. If the objective doesn't need it then no. My F side got dropped a long time ago and am developing it again. And I'm not perceived as an extravert in social contexts at all but when I take charge I could pass as one, lol, or when with my best friends (very few of these people).

Welcome! I'm glad you started this thread. My bf is possibly an ISTJ or ESTJ, I can't figure out which but I'm leaning toward ISTJ. He is also outgoing, never says no to a party, and enjoys socializing, but he's also somewhat "silent", only talking when he has to.
Sounds like an extravert if he never says no to a party. T types don't necessarily want to talk much even if they are extraverts. So this added to the other thing I saw in your other post, I'm going to guess ESTJ for your bf. Of course I don't know him so just a little input here =)

He keeps some things like the contents of his bags organized, he's fastidious about what he wears, and he likes to be well-groomed and clean, but he's not an obsessive cleaner and he allows his environment to get a bit messy.
Yep, yep. (I mean, I relate)

His feeling side is also well-developed. He can be very cuddly and facially expressive! He knows how to comfort people and be generally sensitive. :)
I can't relate to the last sentence o_O I'm anything but sensitive in that way.

Reactions: Seamaid

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well, I mean... his comforting skills aren't like some therapist's level or anything... coming from my last relationship with an ISTP who had a baffling lack of empathy and thought making inappropriate (albeit funny) jokes were the best way to comfort me, my STJ's ability to respond with a genuine "Aww.. I'm sorry to hear that!" and "I don't want you to be sad!" is just music to my ears.

It's not that hard to comfort others. All you have to do is mirror them, but the difference between a psychopath and a non-psychopath is that the mirroring comes from an authentic effort to step in someone else's shoes. It's the effort, not how well the shoes fit, that counts.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Well, I mean... his comforting skills aren't like some therapist's level or anything... coming from my last relationship with an ISTP who had a baffling lack of empathy and thought making inappropriate (albeit funny) jokes were the best way to comfort me, my STJ's ability to respond with a genuine "Aww.. I'm sorry to hear that!" and "I don't want you to be sad!" is just music to my ears.
I can do the former exclamation too.

I don't know what's type related about this but I do find ISTPs baffling with their certain brand of insensitivity. I have my own brand of it too but what they have is... entirely different. Like they completely fail to consider other people, or actually, they don't even care to. Make sense?

It's not that hard to comfort others. All you have to do is mirror them, but the difference between a psychopath and a non-psychopath is that the mirroring comes from an authentic effort to step in someone else's shoes. It's the effort, not how well the shoes fit, that counts.
I don't really try to step in other people's shoes by default. I'm ok with paying attention to whatever emotional reaction I see but I can't and won't try to imagine what it would feel like if I were in their place if the person is that oversensitive type that I definitely am not. I simply would not be able to imagine it. So then I just try to help based on what emotional reaction I'm seeing but that's not the sensitive kind of comforting.

Reactions: Seamaid
1 - 6 of 6 Posts