Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have you ever go into ISTJ mode? At home I always test as INFP. At school I took a test for a course and even though I redid the test I scored ISTJ both times. At school I find I am more organized and structured. I also care about following school rules and protocols. I tend to be more logical and show my emotions less than in my personal life. I feel more ISTJ like at school as well more "okay let's do this task"or "well that's just how it is". At school I am even considered pretty responsible and mature a lot of the time. It's like a switch flips. I tend to just do things without thinking about the 72 philosophical implications more. I tend to be pretty on task and not think randomly as much. I am feeling tired right now so I'm struggling to describe it a bit. Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
INFP's shadow is ESTJ, I believe? So that could factor into things (though shadows tend to appear more under stress). I will say I have a different level of determinedness and focus outside the home vs within it. I went away for a leadership retreat once, and I tested as an ESTJ, not an INFP. I remember my parents fiercely denying I was an ESTJ (we all discuss personality a lot), and I knew they were right, but at the same time the test revealed that I am often a different person when I'm out of my comfort zone! I would say I'm more on autopilot during the day. It's not until I'm winding down that the thousands of thoughts flood my head and start criticizing decisions / analyzing behavior / wondering about the next day. Frankly, I would probably drive myself crazy if I was a full INFP for 24 hours. I need some time away from her franticness. :wink:

TL;DR: Yes, I relate! With an ESTJ mode. :)

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,657 Posts
I used to test as borderline ISxJ—but lemme tell you, I was not happy about that!

At school, I was/am very organized, almost never forget to do assignments, almost never forget to bring important things to class, always bring excess things everywhere, and I'm always on time. Because if I don't do these things, I feel like I might die of explosion. An ESTP in my class's favorite thing to say about me is "ButIHaveNoFear always has her book! She's always prepared!!" And I generally roll my eyes! :laughing:

It's hard to bring that stupid book to class too! I hate carrying objects and wearing bags and bringing things anywhere—but I always carry 10-20 extra pounds of things on my person at all times during school. I hate it. Interestingly, my motivation for bringing all that stuff is because someone else might need that book or that extra pen or that paper. I don't want them to be left out. "He ain't heavy; he's my brother." Also, I have to think long and hard to plan what I need for the day and when I need it. It's much easier to keep everything in one stupid backpack and just remember to take it with me.

Concerning school rules and protocols, when I was younger I loved it when teachers would tell us what not to do! It was always for the other kids, not for me. People knew I was a good kid, and every teacher loved me since I listened to instructions and followed them. I knew that rules and procedures only reaffirmed what I already knew to be the right thing to do, so I didn't worry about following them to the letter.

I might occasionally look like an ISxJ, but try to ask me what time my next class is! "Uhhh....."

Reactions: twirler

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Hahah yes!

I test as ISTJ particularly when I'm stressed about school and I come across exactly as how you mentioned: organized, decisive, hard working, rule-abiding, responsible, etc. Had nearly prfect attendance almost every year and I'd do all of my assignments. At school my emotions were/are strongly held in check and I come across like I just want to get the job done rather than fool around with other stuff. I'm also quite punctual when it comes to being on class on time and not stopping in the halls to talk to people.

I wish I had more control over when I go into ISTJ mode though, because it would be great to be like that when it comes to stuff I'm passionate about... I'd get so much done!

·
Premium Member
15,291 Posts
:proud: I don't think there is one cell in my body, that screams "T!" An I and a S and a J, sure.... but T?

ROTF

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmm, kind of. Everyone at work is adamant I am INTx so that is how I come across in that setting. I would say I am usually organized, on-time, meticulously detailed at work but my home life is a complete disaster, which is how I like it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes.

Many were surprised to find out I had a F in my soul. I think that is our Si and Te coming to play when we are supposed to get stuff done.

Cognitive function stack for

INFP: Fi, Ne, Si, Te
ISTJ: Si, Te, Fi, Ne

So in an environment with rules and hierarchy one is to follow; traditionalist, detail-oriented Si absorbs the rules, and realistic, rational Te spits out the results. Our ISTJ part of us stops us from causing a wave in the system, I suppose. But we all know when we zone out, that's when our INFP thoughts and feelings fly everywhere.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
"ButIHaveNoFear always has her book! She's always prepared!!" And I generally roll my eyes! :laughing:
I always get that! But, for me, it's because of ANXIETY PREVENTION! I have to be early, I have to be prepared, I can't not be prepared because then I'll be even more anxious. It kind of annoys other people too. My ISTP is always like, "Why are you always trying to beat me?" Of course he would see it as competition. Ridic.

Reactions: ButIHaveNoFear

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hmm, kind of. Everyone at work is adamant I am INTx so that is how I come across in that setting. I would say I am usually organized, on-time, meticulously detailed at work but my home life is a complete disaster, which is how I like it.
Ya, I tell them my home life is disaster. They don't believe me though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is an interesting topic.

Sometimes, when it comes to romance and love, I am rather like an INTJ.
When I think about love and all, I'm still a hopleless romantic (INFP trait), but I like to think carefully
and see if the person meet the requirements to be my partner. If I'm interested in them and I find out
that they do not meet some values that are very important to me, I stop crushing on them (at least try to).

So when I have a crush on someone....
It's extensive stalk research time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At school basically I think I was pretty much seen as a stick in the mud. I always wanted to follow the school rules, even if everyone was all like "it's no big deal dreaming herogirl, come on". I usually got all my assignments turned in on time. I remember once I didn't and lied about it, but I felt bad afterwards, so decided to be more studious from then on. I usually got good grades as well too. Not the best in the class but good. In grade 8/9 I kinda just quit though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys have you ever go into ISTJ mode? At home I always test as INFP. At school I took a test for a course and even though I redid the test I scored ISTJ both times. At school I find I am more organized and structured. I also care about following school rules and protocols. I tend to be more logical and show my emotions less than in my personal life. I feel more ISTJ like at school as well more "okay let's do this task"or "well that's just how it is". At school I am even considered pretty responsible and mature a lot of the time. It's like a switch flips. I tend to just do things without thinking about the 72 philosophical implications more. I tend to be pretty on task and not think randomly as much. I am feeling tired right now so I'm struggling to describe it a bit. Can anyone relate?

The first time I took the MBTI test was after hours at the office. I remember using the office environment as a frame for understandning the questions in the test, and I experience much the same STJ mode as you describe at work: Each day I go through large amounts of information, perform annoying administrative tasks, and I make detailed project plans for weeks and months ahead, often involving many other people. The result was that I was typed as ISTJ. It was only when I started reading about funtion stacks I realised my mistake:

To many I may look like a structured, well prepared ISTJ, with a good eye for detail. But it is my ability to use Ne to connect the dots, create categories and sort unimport details from more important facts that makes my good at what I do. Responding to all those tedious administrative demands is a huge energy drain and I hate following my own plans. I have, however, realised that without planning ahead, writing that boring email or whatever, it will be diffucult to complete any task that of relevance. So I have accepted that dealing with STJ demands is the price for having a meaningful job.

I wish that accepting this would make makes it easier to deal with the more boring tasks. Unfortunately, that has not been the case, they are still tedious and a energy drain.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Oh.. nononono. I'm the worst ISTJ in the world.

I also took a test in college for MBTI. I didn't care about it at first; it was for a blow-off class to find career direction. I got INTP; should have been a technical writer apparently.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's hard to be an ISTJ, but it would help for work. Basically when I check and recheck things it's like an ISTJ, but really they do it better. This is because they can just check it once and remember so their efficiency and accuracy go through the roof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts