Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you could please tell me about your style.

1. What kinds of colors do you like? Bright, muted, warm, cool, vibrant, neutrals ?

2. What about patterns? Which are your favourite(s)?

3. Post pictures of things that represent your style.

^These apply to any kind of style--clothing, home decor, whatever. Anywhere where your style preferences would be shown.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I tend to favor darker colors now that I'm older versus more vibrant colors. My overall favorite color is blue because Leonardo from TMNT was and still is my favorite Ninja Turtle simply because he was more or less the leader of the four and he carries swords

Patterns I guess for me to answer would require further detail.

This is me in real life with my brand new Jeep

My clothing style is I think practical for Alaska where I live. Since I enjoy the outdoors I like to have lots of pockets to organize anything I might carry on my person. I try to be as independent as I can and like to be prepared for anything.

The Jeep to me represents freedom and the rugged capability of the Jeep is what drew me to it. It can get me places many other vehicles cannot. Nothing excites me more than going places where there aren't many people around!

I named the Jeep Niobe based on the Greek mythology queen whose kids were killed. She wept for a long time and turned to stone but its said her tears are still flowing. A fitting name for my pessimistic nature/outlook on life. Plus blues music expresses worry and hardship and Niobe is blue!

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. What kinds of colors do you like? Bright, muted, warm, cool, vibrant, neutrals ?

Clothing: I tend to stick with neutrals and muted primary colours - I wear a lot of grey, brown, and blue, in various shades - primarily because it makes it easier to both put together outfits and to do the laundry. I do like to wear colourful or 'silly' socks, though, which range from Marvel superhero ones to bright pink ones. (I like to wear them as my sock collection is 90% comprised of silly gifts from my mum, so they make me smile to wear them.)

Interior design: Off-whites, metal, and various wood shades are what I tend to lean towards. I like a colourful touch with cushions and quilts, usually hand-made (by my mum, not me!). Balance and simplicity are what I like in rooms, although this is rather ruined by how messy I am.

Not really a pattern person, in all honesty - I prefer block colours and clean lines. When I do go for patterns, they tend to be stripes.

Haven't got any to hand, sorry!

Other notes:
- Uniformity is something I usually strive for as it makes it so much easier to get dressed in the morning. I just wear variations on the exact same thing: dark grey cargo trousers, black boots, a plain t-shirt (often navy/brown/grey), a hoodie (again, grey or blue) or a woollen jumper (maroon, olive, blue), and then a brown-and-navy military-style jacket over the top. Sometimes I'll wear a button-down as well, depending on the temperature, but most of the time I stick with this. It's practical for all weather and activities, is comfortable whether I'm running somewhere or sitting in a three-hour lecture, and as I'm a university student the informality doesn't matter.
- I like to have a lot of pockets. My cargos and jacket have a lot of pockets which are all designated for certain things - planner, keys, cards, spare change, pens, phone, headphones, painkillers, plasters, tissues, chewing gum, spoon, snack bars, etc. I like to carry a lot of stuff on my actual body so I can avoid using a bag where possible. The only time I take a bag is when I have class that requires a lot of books or my laptop, or I'm cycling somewhere (as I have a puncture repair kit in my backpack).
- If I like an item of clothing, I'll usually buy more than one of it - I have two pairs of cargo trousers that are exactly the same, for example, and multiple plain navy t-shirts. I used to worry that people would think I was wearing the same (unwashed!) items of clothing all the time, but eventually practicality won out.
- Whilst I'm naturally a bit of a cheap-skate, my parents have taught me the importance of buying good-quality items in order to save money in the long run and to project professionalism, so my belongings tend to be sturdy and well-made. I also like to take good care of my clothing and will wear the same things until they wear out, so I like to keep my boots cleaned and polished and I'll sew/repair/darn any items of clothing as necessary - again, taught to me by my parents.
- I like colourful and creative notes! I use a black biro and a load of fineliners and highlighters - people are always really surprised by how colourful/creative/visual my notes are, but I've learned that it's how I retain information best. When I'm writing essays, however, I use a fountain pen and like things to look uniform and neat.
- I do also have an embarrassing amount of Marvel things, such as mugs/tshirts/pj bottoms/cushions/posters - predominantly Captain America. My kid sister is actually more into Marvel than I am, but around my birthday last year I was really into the latest Captain America film and so about half my presents were Captain America themed...

·
Registered
452 Posts

^These apply to any kind of style--clothing, home decor, whatever. Anywhere where your style preferences would be shown.
How about this:

We are pragmatists. We tend to think of things in terms of functionality.

If our purpose requires our clothes to be bright, it will be bright. If pale, then pale. In general, we would prefer not to stand out in public, unless we have to.

One quite pragmatic concern is washing clothes and the possibility of clothes stains. For that reason, I prefer not to wear white clothes because they stain easily.

This quote is especially relevant.

- Uniformity is something I usually strive for as it makes it so much easier to get dressed in the morning. I just wear variations on the exact same thing: dark grey cargo trousers, black boots, a plain t-shirt (often navy/brown/grey), a hoodie (again, grey or blue) or a woollen jumper (maroon, olive, blue), and then a brown-and-navy military-style jacket over the top. Sometimes I'll wear a button-down as well, depending on the temperature, but most of the time I stick with this. It's practical for all weather and activities, is comfortable whether I'm running somewhere or sitting in a three-hour lecture, and as I'm a university student the informality doesn't matter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about this:

We are pragmatists. We tend to think of things in terms of functionality.

If our purpose requires our clothes to be bright, it will be bright. If pale, then pale. In general, we would prefer not to stand out in public, unless we have to.

One quite pragmatic concern is washing clothes and the possibility of clothes stains. For that reason, I prefer not to wear white clothes because they stain easily.
I would definitely be inclined to agree. I admit that I also prefer the look of clothes that are "practical" in appearance (e.g. utility clothing, military wear, anything with pockets or that looks sturdy) as a general rule, because practical = good in my mind. However, if it's not actually practical for me personally - I love the look of hiking rucksacks, for example, but I would never use one myself - then it loses its appeal. If I'm wearing 'old-fashioned' clothing, it's because it serves some specific purpose or was cheap in a charity store, rather than because I'm aiming for some particular aesthetic.

Furthermore, I do wear things that might appear more frivolous; for example, my boots are wingtips because that eliminates the need for a smart pair of shoes. I wear neon running shirts for extra visible when out running, especially at dawn/dusk; my running shoes are bright blue/green/white because they were the best style for my gait. I have neon orange plastic crockery as a back-up to my standard ceramic white crockery, which people always say is rather unexpected for me but it's practical as it's cheap, easy to wash, easy to see if it's been hidden somewhere, unlikely to be nicked by somebody as it's tacky as hell, and is seriously difficult to break - great for entertaining fellow uni students!

My general checklist when buying things consists of:
- is it good quality for money?
- does it serve more than one purpose, and does it do them well?
- how likely am I to use it regularly?
- how easy is it to take care of/clean?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
We have style?

I like neutrals, yes. I'm a quilter, so I buy too much fabric, and I've noticed that I gravitate most to browns, golds, stripes, and large florals. But that's for quilts, not clothing. Clothing is blue, gray, black, and beige usually. I guess I like the conservative corporate look.

As far as choices in home décor, we don't buy much because we already have all the furniture and pictures we can handle. We buy a new sheet/comforter set once a year for the bedroom, and we always select "Maxwell-colored sheets", to match our cat. See photo. Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Kitten Carnivore

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
We have style?

I like neutrals, yes. I'm a quilter, so I buy too much fabric, and I've noticed that I gravitate most to browns, golds, stripes, and large florals. But that's for quilts, not clothing. Clothing is blue, gray, black, and beige usually. I guess I like the conservative corporate look.

As far as choices in home décor, we don't buy much because we already have all the furniture and pictures we can handle. We buy a new sheet/comforter set once a year for the bedroom, and we always select "Maxwell-colored sheets", to match our cat. See photo. View attachment 320138
*sees cats* Aaahwww :3

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wouldn't call the colours I wear as vibrant or muted.. they vary alot.
My favourite shirts are a mustard-y yellow polo shirt and a "hawaiian" shirt (blue with white leaf designs). Besides those, I have a number of darer coloured clothes (greys, browns, etc) as well as blues & creams/whites.

This is about the closest i can find colour wise to my favourite polo.

I have a number of other hawaiian style shirts that I wear regularly, as well as varying t-shirts with random prints that I liked (one has Animal from the muppets, another has a number of geeky/youtube references)

Work clothes are more plain, I have a couple colourful check shirts and the rest are plain single colours of blue or brown.

Generally, when selecting clothing there are two questions for me, which usually result in loose fitting, lightweight clothes.
1 - Do I like it
2 - Is it comfortable to wear

See above questions.. nothing is out-of-bounds or always favourited.

I frequently get hassled by family and workmates about my clothes, for being so far out of style that it's back in style, it's a great source of amusement for me. Case in point was the corduroy trousers I was wearing until 2 years ago, and I only stopped because it was going to cost more to fix them than it was to replace them.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Generally, when selecting clothing there are two questions for me, which usually result in loose fitting, lightweight clothes.
1 - Do I like it
So interesting that you didn't mention
3. Price
4. Fit
5. Materials
6. Fair trade/organic vs generic
7. second-hand vs new
8. whether it looks good on you or not
9. quality

Reactions: Deamo

·
Registered
860 Posts
3. Price
4. Fit
5. Materials
7. second-hand vs new
9. quality
With the exception of price (which only gets looked at if it fits the first two questions), it's because those literally do not matter to me. I don't give a rats arse if something looks good on me or not. If I like it, and it's comfortable, i'll wear it.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the exception of price (which only gets looked at if it fits the first two questions), it's because those literally do not matter to me. I don't give a rats arse if something looks good on me or not. If I like it, and it's comfortable, i'll wear it.
I think this is a fundamental difference between Si and Se. You are purely concerned with the sensation that you, the subject, receive from an object, whereas Se is much more interested in the objective sensation.

Reactions: Deamo and Sela

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
1 - Do I like it
3. Price
4. Fit
5. Materials
7. second-hand vs new
9. quality
Agree with Deamo. For me, 4, 5 & 9 are the key elements of #1. First and foremost it has to fit comfortably. I'm a big guy, so that's not always easy. For materials, I pretty much stick to cotton or blends that are at least 60% cotton. I despise the thin, flimsy, sweaty/sticky/clingy feel of synthetics... Yuuckkk. Quality means it's gonna last a while. It doesn't necessarily mean any particular brand (I actually avoid trendy brands like the plague)... it means a product that by experience, trusted recommendation or first hand examination at least has the appearance of a well-made product. Those are the very practical determinants of whether I like something.

As far as the others...

3 - I can't say that price doesn't matter at all, but I will certainly pay more for something that meets the criteria that are important to me. Price is more a determinant of WHERE I buy rather than WHAT I buy. I first determine what it is I want, then shop for the best price on that very specific item. If the specific item I want is priced beyond my means, I will generally do without it rather buy a lesser alternative just to say I own something, because I KNOW I will never be satisfied with the alternate item. I never regret spending money on what I really want. I always regret spending money on something I "settled" for.

6 - Sorry, but I really don't give a flying crap. My decisions are made on the tangible characteristics of the product itself. Those things only come into play as tie-breakers when all else is equal (which rarely is the case). Yeah, I'm a terrible human being.

7 - No issue with second hand if other criteria are met.

8 - Don't care. My only concern relative to appearance is that it not stand out in the environment in which it will be worn. I will generally stay as casual as absolutely possible for the given situation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Colours: Ideally, NONE! Black, my favourite for clothing, is a shade, not a colour. I also love grey. As for white, NOPE NOPE NOPE. It will stain/get dirty too easily. If I have to wear a colour, it will be electric or navy blue.

Patterns: I prefer solid colours, but when there must be a pattern I prefer it to be stripes or plaid. Preferably black background with white stripes, not the other way around.

Price: I shop at stores that sell discounted designer clothing, so that I can get the nice brands/quality/style but not pay full price for them.

Also, I hate how almost everything sold to women in the way of exercise clothing/shoes has some obnoxiously bright shade of pink on it. Blech.

I know I'm adding a bit, but as for hairstyles: I have a policy of not spending more than 5-10 minutes on it, so usually I throw it into a braid or a low bun, or leave it down if it's not messy.

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
I think this is a fundamental difference between Si and Se. You are purely concerned with the sensation that you, the subject, receive from an object, whereas Se is much more interested in the objective sensation.
If I'm comfortable in it, then it automatically looks good on me. If I'm not comfortable in it, it doesn't matter if the outfit cost a million bucks; it's going to look terrible on me.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I dislike when the word "organic" is used to mean anything except "contains carbon atoms".

Mr. DaisyChain, a Vietnam veteran, has a cap that says "Vietnam Veteran, U.S. Army". The cap was made in Vietnam. Your moment of Zen.

·
Registered
427 Posts

About clothes:

1. I don't like wearing orange or yellow. Generally I wear cold colours: gray (my favorite one), blue, green. Since most of my trousers have neutral colours (black or gray) or are jeans, I combine them with warm-coloured polo-shirts or t-shirts.

2. I'm not a big fan of patterns, but I like some of them on jackets, sweaters or shirts: argyle, fil-à-fil, Persian brocade. Basically, I like patterns that are classic and not particularly striking in their combination of colours.

3. (Note: No way I can fill a shirt like the guys in the pictures. XD)

Cool Clothing Blue Pattern Sleeve Clothing White Sleeve Shoulder Purple Clothing Jeans Standing Footwear Neck

Reactions: aendern

·
Registered
SLI, ISTJ, 1w9, 164
2,087 Posts
I like muted and cool colours and shades. Mostly black, white, deep gray, dark blue and green, some shades of indigo, carmine sometimes. Almost no yellow for me.

I have difficult relationships with shopping for clothes. I totally loath this thing and tend to go shopping only when I absolutely have to, since I have literally nothing to wear.

What I choose quality-wise depends greatly on how much I can spend on clothes. I prefer to buy one or two things that could be pricey but would stood a good deal of wear, so I could avoid going shopping for as long as possible :p

If my finances are low, I'll buy more pieces of clothes of lower quality. They will wear out quicker, but as there are more of them, I'll be able to change them and in total they could last as long as more pricey items.
And, in any case I wouldn't buy anything that I visually dislike.

The most important criteria for clothes are: I like them, they are comfortable, they fit me, they aren't expensive.

I like solid colours.
I don't mind patterns, but don't have any particular preference in them. As long as it's not something garish and noisy I'm fine with it.

Casual every-day style.

As for home decor - I prefer rooms with minimalist style, where I have all the things needed ready at hand.

Can't find proper example where everything I need is combined together, but I imagine it to be the mixture of the first picture below with the working area of the second one.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I wear all colors. The colors depend on the style (casual, semi-formal, formal etc.).

Mainly solid colors

I like classic menswear and formal wear. I wore this last week (photo has been edited).

Clothing Outerwear Suit Jacket Blazer

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I like muted and cool colours and shades. Mostly black, white, deep gray, dark blue and green, some shades of indigo, carmine sometimes. Almost no yellow for me.

I have difficult relationships with shopping for clothes. I totally loath this thing and tend to go shopping only when I absolutely have to, since I have literally nothing to wear.

What I choose quality-wise depends greatly on how much I can spend on clothes. I prefer to buy one or two things that could be pricey but would stood a good deal of wear, so I could avoid going shopping for as long as possible :p

If my finances are low, I'll buy more pieces of clothes of lower quality. They will wear out quicker, but as there are more of them, I'll be able to change them and in total they could last as long as more pricey items.
And, in any case I wouldn't buy anything that I visually dislike.

The most important criteria for clothes are: I like them, they are comfortable, they fit me, they aren't expensive.

I like solid colours.
I don't mind patterns, but don't have any particular preference in them. As long as it's not something garish and noisy I'm fine with it.

Casual every-day style.

As for home decor - I prefer rooms with minimalist style, where I have all the things needed ready at hand.

Can't find proper example where everything I need is combined together, but I imagine it to be the mixture of the first picture below with the working area of the second one.

Damn, you have some fine tastes!
That bedroom looks perfect: clean, modern and has plenty of wood (it makes everything better).

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far a clothes go, I'd say black is the best way to go. Lack clothes go well with any color you stick them together with, you can't really tell when they've gotten dirty, and black is also slimming. The only downside is that if it's really sunny where you are, it gets really hot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts