Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your gift-giving style? Also, what kinds of gifts do you like to receive, and how do you tend to react to a gift that you like versus one that you dislike?

I am doing this for all the types...eventually...

Anyway, I have a few thoughts on the ISTJ based on functions, but I am interested in feedback from actual ISTJs. Please add your own thoughts along the way, as my description is certainly not meant to be definitive.

ISTJs are traditional givers. Likely the kind to do much of their Christmas shopping far in advance. Will use previous reactions from recipients to help decide what to give in the future; this can be problematic, especially when gifting to children. The aunt who keeps buying babydolls for her niece long after the child has outgrown them, might be an ISTJ.

Reactions: Rhee

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
What is your gift-giving style? Also, what kinds of gifts do you like to receive, and how do you tend to react to a gift that you like versus one that you dislike?

I am doing this for all the types...eventually...

Anyway, I have a few thoughts on the ISTJ based on functions, but I am interested in feedback from actual ISTJs. Please add your own thoughts along the way, as my description is certainly not meant to be definitive.

ISTJs are traditional givers. Likely the kind to do much of their Christmas shopping far in advance. Will use previous reactions from recipients to help decide what to give in the future; this can be problematic, especially when gifting to children. The aunt who keeps buying babydolls for her niece long after the child has outgrown them, might be an ISTJ.
I think you are going to find that this is more closely tied to love languages and gender than it is to personality type. Although personality type will have an impact.

I dislike giving and receiving gifts. You always gotta worry about size, color, or will he/she like it, or whatever. It's just not worth it. As a result, I love Thanksgiving (family all there, great food and great company), but I hate Christmas (get together with family that you only see once or twice a year, giving gifts that you are not sure they like and receiving gifts that you didn't ask for and really don't want).

I have a check book. I buy what I want. I am very specific in my desires. If I am shopping for a device, I can tell you the serial number of the one I want.:crazy: I don't make do in most instances--I buy what I want. There is no way someone can pick out gifts for me unless they can crawl inside my head. So I settle for handkerchiefs, neckties, t-shirts, and other similar items.

When buying for others, I put it off until the last possible moment. I hate doing it, so I procrastinate. I'm the guy buying whatever I see and think SWMBO will like on Christmas Eve. Fortunately, she is easy to please. Mainly because she is so cheap she won't buy any good stuff for herself. So I walk into Foley's or Dillard's and walk through the store picking out an armful of stuff in her colors and textures and have them gift wrap it.

You want to give me something I want? Spend time with me. Do something together and I'll be yours for life.:happy:

My daughter is an ENTJ. Now she is what you are thinking about. She already has at least half of Christmas bought and probably some of it wrapped and labeled. She loves gifts and giving/receiving gifts. It's her love language. This is the type of person that will sink their teeth into a holiday like Christmas and really enjoy it.

HTH

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I dislike giving and receiving gifts. You always gotta worry about size, color, or will he/she like it, or whatever. It's just not worth it. As a result, I love Thanksgiving (family all there, great food and great company), but I hate Christmas (get together with family that you only see once or twice a year, giving gifts that you are not sure they like and receiving gifts that you didn't ask for and really don't want).

I have a check book. I buy what I want. I am very specific in my desires. If I am shopping for a device, I can tell you the serial number of the one I want.:crazy: I don't make do in most instances--I buy what I want. There is no way someone can pick out gifts for me unless they can crawl inside my head. So I settle for handkerchiefs, neckties, t-shirts, and other similar items.
Haha! That sounds like my sister (who is also ISTJ, if you remember :happy:). I never try to guess what she wants, because she buys everything she wants when she wants it. I just ask her, what do you want? She'll answer me very specifically, I write it down, pick it up, wrap it (usually) and everyone is happy! She hates shopping for me, because I never know what I want!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't particularly enjoy giving gifts, but I often find myself finding the perfect gifts for certain people in my life. A lot of my friends say that I am particularly good at gift giving- I think it is because I listen to people's little details. Usually it's an old movie that they loved watching with their mom or dad when they were little, or something really sentimental like that. If it's not, then usually it's something practical- something that they will be able to actually use (I've made tons of blankets- I've actually seen my friends use them very frequently over the years). When I know I need to give a gift- I often do a lot of research and observing of the receiver before I choose anything to buy.
Since I grew up with my mother doing TONS of gift-giving, I've inherited her sense for beautiful gift displays. A lot of people say that the wrapping/ribbon/gift-hiding-item looks so beautiful, that they don't want to open it. I love making gifts look amazing, because an amazing gift wrapped badly is just not right. The display is almost just as important to me as the gift inside.

I do not like receiving gifts. A lot of people tell me that I'm hard to buy for, and I completely understand that. I will not constantly babble to my friends about all of the things that I want, whenever I get the urge to buy something. That just does NOT happen. I like getting cash as a gift- because I can spend it however I want. I like buying things for myself, because it makes me feel like a more able, independent person. I usually research for MONTHS before I buy anything, but I enjoy that process.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Usually I ask people upfront what they want/need. Like madhatter I get it down on paper, then pick up the exact model for them. I believe this is the most efficient way of getting people precisely what they want, thus making them happy, and me happy. I honour birthdays/holidays, and always give when gift-giving is required.

The only exception is with my girlfriend. I make an effort to be, er romantic (squirm), so I spend time observing, collecting and memorizing details: the items she already favours, the items that are getting old/that she's running low on, the items she's admired from outside a shop window. Then I surprise her. She's the only one that I give random little gifts to, too, even without the presence of any specific 'occasions'.

As a receiver, I'm told that I'm very easy to please. I get touched by the fact that the other person made the gesture and brought something for me, and I make sure I let them know. I rarely 'dislike' anything that I get, but even if it's not to my exact taste I will never let that show.

I like getting practical gifts, i.e. reading material, food, computer accessories.
What I prefer less are clothes and cosmetic products, since I'm picky about those. There are certain stuff that I will NOT wear/use.

PS. Got some pretty good gift ideas from the previous posts, so thanks all *g*

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm probably very difficult to buy a present for, for the reasons listed above (very specific, picky etc).

I really love buying for people I care about though. Not presents as such (it's difficult when it's a birthday, because if people aren't specific, I never know what they want. I hate when I'm told "surprise me!" :angry: ), but I love to buy little things for people, just whenever, for no reason.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
If the person is close to me, I prefer giving something that I've "made" myself. For instance, if it's a female friend, I usually make them a necklace or a bracelet (in my spare [???] time, I make jewelry out of semi-precious beads and stones). If it's a male friend, I try to find out what they like (in one case, I diligently taped a particular anime show on VHS tapes and presented the tapes to him. I had taped the entire series so this took me quite some time to accomplish).

Having said that, I'm not above going out on Christmas Eve and doing the mad dash to get something. As much as I dislike being in such close proximity to so many other people, I have a mission and therefore am very direct and quick in my movements (in other words, I don't dilly-dally. I get in and out as quickly as possible).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think you are going to find that this is more closely tied to love languages and gender than it is to personality type. Although personality type will have an impact.

When buying for others, I put it off until the last possible moment. I hate doing it, so I procrastinate. I'm the guy buying whatever I see and think SWMBO will like on Christmas Eve. Fortunately, she is easy to please. Mainly because she is so cheap she won't buy any good stuff for herself. So I walk into Foley's or Dillard's and walk through the store picking out an armful of stuff in her colors and textures and have them gift wrap it.

You want to give me something I want? Spend time with me. Do something together and I'll be yours for life.:happy:

My daughter is an ENTJ. Now she is what you are thinking about. She already has at least half of Christmas bought and probably some of it wrapped and labeled. She loves gifts and giving/receiving gifts. It's her love language. This is the type of person that will sink their teeth into a holiday like Christmas and really enjoy it.

HTH
considering this what do you think of wedding registries? last I knew you took a pretty dim view of them, but they give you the serial number, and a list of the color, texture, everything they want.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I gift give if it is family or really good friends. I don't give to just anyone. In the case of really good friends, it's because most people like having gifts and in my mind, it's my duty to try and continue being friends with them, although I do have my limits. I'm cheap, so it's usually cheap stuff for everyone. I'm pretty consistent with knowing what people I know well want anyways. It really is a double-edged sword.

When it comes to receiving, I only keep it if it's something that I know I will use. I hate having a million candy canes and chocolates because I don't eat that stuff that much. It usually gets thrown in the trash because I simply don't want it. When it is something that interests me, I will keep it because it's something I like.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
considering this what do you think of wedding registries? last I knew you took a pretty dim view of them, but they give you the serial number, and a list of the color, texture, everything they want.
Gifts are bleh. And wedding registries create a whole subset of bleh by trying to circumvent the normal problems in gift giving. So now, we have a check off list of things wanted to make sure there are no duplicate gifts, which eliminates the whole "I love you, you're my bestie, and I am giving you this gift because I'm so happy for you on your special day." *suppresses gag reflex*

Yeah, wedding registries are dumb. Mo' bettah just to give cash.

An' don't you come in heah startin' trouble, girlie.

Just sayin'
:crazy::laughing:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Gah! I hate receiving gifts for special things

I've been a scoutmaster for a medium sized troop of 50-75 boys for 7 years. Prior to that I was an assistant scoutmaster for 5 years. I announced at a committee meeting about 2 weeks ago that I was submitting my resignation and that as of January 1, 2011, I would no longer be the scoutmaster.

Now, I know as scoutmaster, I am very involved in these families lives. Sometimes it almost feels like a small church--you can really get close. Some of these folks are my very best friends and I am closer to them than all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, mom, dad, etc.

Today, a good friend comes by my shop and tells me that I need to go the local gun show and pick out a pistol. I look at him quizzically and he informs me that at the December camp out I will be receiving an engraved pistol from the troop leadership and it would be best if it is something I really like and would use. IOW, like it or not, it's happening, so you'd better pick out what you'd like.

Ugh. I hate, hate, hate, hate this. I don't like being made over and I for sure don't like more formal social settings where people give you expensive gifts out of appreciation and you are obligated to try to find the right thing to say.

So I question SWMBO (the clairvoyant ENFP) about this, trying to work an angle to where I can graciously decline the gift and just fade into the sunset without much fanfare. She's good at social stuff, so she will help me figure out a way to avoid the whole scenario.

She tells me I need to graciously accept the gift, be genuine, and thank them--and now for the bombshell--because they are giving the gift for themselves, not for me! WHAT?!?!? She goes on to say that this gives them closure, allows them to feel that they've done their duty in appreciating their old scoutmaster, and that it provides for the closing of a chapter and the opening of a new chapter.

I'm flabbergasted and feel like I've been hit between the eyes with a 2X4. Is my bride onto something or is she off her rocker? (I still want to avoid this...):unsure:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
So I question SWMBO (the clairvoyant ENFP) about this, trying to work an angle to where I can graciously decline the gift and just fade into the sunset without much fanfare. She's good at social stuff, so she will help me figure out a way to avoid the whole scenario.

She tells me I need to graciously accept the gift, be genuine, and thank them--and now for the bombshell--because they are giving the gift for themselves, not for me! WHAT?!?!? She goes on to say that this gives them closure, allows them to feel that they've done their duty in appreciating their old scoutmaster, and that it provides for the closing of a chapter and the opening of a new chapter.

I'm flabbergasted and feel like I've been hit between the eyes with a 2X4. Is my bride onto something or is she off her rocker? (I still want to avoid this...):unsure:
I think she may be onto something here. Giving gifts is half the fun! I love giving people gifts and seeing their reaction. And I can understand having a physical representation of their appreciation...although my first pick would not be a pistol.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I think she may be onto something here. Giving gifts is half the fun! I love giving people gifts and seeing their reaction. And I can understand having a physical representation of their appreciation...although my first pick would not be a pistol.
The problem is that I hate having a reaction to the gift. The pistol makes sense from the viewpoint that we do a lot of shooting sports.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The problem is that I hate having a reaction to the gift.
Maybe you already do this, but could you "practice" your emotional reaction?

I know my mom HATES when she walks into an emotional situation without knowing what to expect. It's like it blind-sides her and she freezes up (and then later eviscerates herself for not handling the situation better).

Maybe you could think through what you might possibly feel in that moment: gratitude, embarrassment, etc. Just being able to identify the emotions you will feel during your reaction to the gift might help.

I dunno. Just a thought.

@OP: My mom is a great gift giver. She always gave my brother and I a new toothbrush and fun socks in our stockings at Christmas (in addition to candy and little trinkets). She does the same now for her grandkids. I think it's sweet. :proud: Although when it comes to her grandkids, she spares no expense. Toys, clothes, shoes, books, bedspreads, you name it. My kids love horses. She once asked me if we could keep a horse on our property and what I thought about her paying for half of it. :mellow: That is not the same woman who raised me. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
watch case for ISTJ

I am thinking of getting a watch case as a birthday present for an ISTJ friend who has quite a few watches, but I don't know whether an ISTJ would appreciate such present? can any ISTJ advise me on this? thanks :)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
No. Just give it and watch the reaction.

Reactions: Sela
1 - 20 of 22 Posts