Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
No, I'm not. (If I were good at handling money, I wouldn't have 160 pairs of shoes)... so I must fall into the minority category.

Seriously though, I don't run up huge debts, but I also don't manage to invest and grow my money like I probably should.

I know an ENTP who is very accomplished when it comes to financial matters, though.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I spend much time which others spend playing, making money, so my discipline in creating it is exceptional. I force my household to take up wholesale buying in order to discipline them to more worthy purchasing. I have not eaten a $5 meal on a regular basis for more than 9 months. I only splurge on necessities and even then I get my money's worth as they're operational for many years to come, as I'm not so sure the cheap brand would do the same. You make your own success, and you make your own failure. Money is something I can control and will be my weakness in life.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Is it true that a majority of ISTJ's are good to the point of exceptional when it comes to handling financial matters?
well, im certainly good at saving money in that im very stingy. i've never done anyones taxes or anything. i also olan alot into the future.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
Money? What's that? :crazy:
Seriously, though ... while I never have enough, I still always manage to pay my bills every month, on time, every time.
However, I don't deny myself something if I want it; I raised a daughter to adulthood and made sacrifices for many, many years. Now that she's out of the house, I've allow myself to get some things that I want. While I would never waste the money on the "newest gadget" (like the newest cell phones - too expensive!) I DO treat myself to a new outfit every now and then (if it's on sale, of course, haha!) or some new body jewelry.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'd like to think so. I save more than half of what I make per month unless I'm splurging on something like new computer parts or something to increase the enjoyability of gaming. I have expensive taste, but I'll usually think about buying something for so long that I'll talk myself out of it or tell myself I can't purchase it until I save up for a month or so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd like to think so. I save more than half of what I make per month unless I'm splurging on something like new computer parts or something to increase the enjoyability of gaming. I have expensive taste, but I'll usually think about buying something for so long that I'll talk myself out of it or tell myself I can't purchase it until I save up for a month or so.
I have a friend who I believe is also an ISTJ, or at least IXTJ, and he is exactly like this. He pinches pennies like crazy until he's set his mind on something he really wants. However, he doesn't usually talk himself out of it, unless he honestly thinks something better will be available soon.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Is it true that a majority of ISTJ's are good to the point of exceptional when it comes to handling financial matters?
I'm as exceptional with money as I want to be. If I have a goal in mind, then I can pinch a penny until you can see the tears in Lincoln's eyes. OTOH, I want what I want and I will do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal. I spend the extra money to buy only once, making sure I purchase what I really want.

·
Registered
826 Posts
my istj friend is really"good" with money. he is not cheap, but he knows what he wants and this results in some great stuff(i could never buy a motorcycle). he is very quality oriented in anything he buys. however in mattes that don't interest him, he is pretty lame with his spending if he spends anything at all (clothes). unlike him, i always waste a lot of money on small things like films, books, funny glasses, food, plastic swords, i mean, if i enter a shop i usually feel the urge to buy something, be it a book shop or a toy store. i suppose judgers need to know what they are buying and what to do with it afterwards to feel comfortable.

but the problem with alot of istjs and others as i see it, is that they often spend too little from what they earn, often resulting in too much money in the bank. to me, unless they have a goal with it, it is counter productive. usually their argument is that they want to have something for a rainy day. however, to most people, rainy days aren't that expensive and usually they don't come at all. of course a little money saved is reasonable, but i'm talking about spending vs income. as all know, money today is less worth than money tomorrow, and everything you buy is an investment, even the stupid stuff has some kind of value. money itself has near no value and is just a collective mental construct, much like words. pretty useless unless spent.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
To the above poster:
Retirement = rainy day.
One of these days I'll actually make enough money at a job to realize this.
However, you are correct about one thing; if it doesn't interest me, I don't care how "cool" it is ... I'm not going to buy it.
Having said that, however, I'm also human and not a robot, and this week have probably blown through more cash than I have in the past month (part of it was necessary - vet and grocery costs ... a small part was "want" instead of "need" - I got a haircut, ordered some boxers from Old Navy, and *gasp* bought a lip gloss).

·
Registered
701 Posts
So bringing back an old thread what about credit cards i.e. buying on credit, is that something that you do or (try to) avoid?

Don't worry I'm not trying to scam anyone *Monty Burns hand motions*

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm only 19 so the amount of money I've dealt with in my lifetime is pretty small. I absolutely hate spending money though and will usually buy only one thing a month at most. Most of my money goes to college though, so I can't afford to waste it on things I actually want.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My husband is an ISTJ and he's very good with money. Since we are DINKS (Double Income No Kids), we tend to spend more freely than other couples who make less and/or have children. The fact that we have both graduated college, have two cars, have done home repairs, and don't have any debt (except a mortgage) is a testament of my ISTJ husband's great money making and managing skills.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
So bringing back an old thread what about credit cards i.e. buying on credit, is that something that you do or (try to) avoid?

Don't worry I'm not trying to scam anyone *Monty Burns hand motions*
Avoid credit as much as possible.

Reactions: Adesi
1 - 20 of 40 Posts