Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I do. As some of you may know, I am in college, living with some roommates. What's so frustrating is that some of them do not clean up after themselves. Some cook food, eat, then leave the dishes on the counter or in the sink for days. The ones that do clean up (including me) think that they will clean up later. But the pile builds up bigger and bigger, and they still do not clean up. I don't want to bring it up, because those girls are hypersensitive; man, I do not want to deal with that drama!:rolleyes: And I know we're going to have an apartment meeting soon where my roommate is going to speak up about it.:ninja:

Anyways, done with my rant. Lol.

I like to get everything cleaned up before going to bed! If not, it has to be set into piles or somehow organized. I can live with the mess, but I like things done now!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know I do. As some of you may know, I am in college, living with some roommates. What's so frustrating is that some of them do not clean up after themselves. Some cook food, eat, then leave the dishes on the counter or in the sink for days. The ones that do clean up (including me) think that they will clean up later. But the pile builds up bigger and bigger, and they still do not clean up. I don't want to bring it up, because those girls are hypersensitive; man, I do not want to deal with that drama!:rolleyes: And I know we're going to have an apartment meeting soon where my roommate is going to speak up about it.:ninja:
Threaten to put their dirty dishes in their beds if they don't clean them. When they fail to clean them, then put them in their beds. They'll learn not to do that again.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dishes should definitely be done the same day; other chores, like trimming trees, waxing the cupboards, or washing windows can be split over multiple days.
I completely agree!! Some chores are meant to do daily and others are meant to do over consistent periods of time!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Dishes should definitely be done the same day[.]
Seconded. That was the first lesson I learned when I began living on my own.

I heated up some milk for my coffee one morning, left the pan in the sink then went out for class. I was totally freaked out by the decidedly greenish tinge the milk film was sporting when I got back home. The fact that it was a hot summer day didn't make the mysterious growth any less offensive. :/

@rawr_sheila:
Your roommates should co-operate in keeping the kitchen spotlessly clean at all times. Crack the whip over their heads if you have to. Things spoil fast, and you're voicing a valid concern over health risks from poor sanitation.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Actually, I do them after I go to bed. Being asleep makes them much less boring.

I have chores all day and somehow most of them for that day get done before bedtime. Chores are fun when it is work I like then it doesn`t seem like work at all.

Now,I hate doing dishes and want a How to tutorial about doing dishes while you sleep...and I don`t have a dishwasher. :]

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Yeah...I leave dishes out for a few days. Although if it helps, when I do decide to finally clean, I do EVERYBODY'S dishes (it doesn't feel right to do half the dishes and still leave some in the sink).

I had a roommate in college who never cleaned despite agreeing to a cleaning schedule we had set up and signed upon during our move in. When she blew us off for telling her to clean the kitchen, I created a series of giant posterboards saying "MARIA, DON'T BE A LAZE. CLEAN THE KITCHEN" and posted them in the dorm hallways for the entire floor to see. Needless to say, she cleaned the next time she came in.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I do my chores in the morning. My brother is completely incompetent and doesn't understand what a 'garbage can' or 'sink' is, so my work is a little more extensive than it should have to be, but hey, it is what it is. I hate doing my chores before I go to bed because everyone is still up and moving around, I cannot do housework when there are people watching me, or even in the same room. It's weird, I know, but luckily no one is ever awake when I get up, so it all works out.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I hate doing my chores before I go to bed because everyone is still up and moving around, I cannot do housework when there are people watching me, or even in the same room. It's weird, I know, but luckily no one is ever awake when I get up, so it all works out.
I don't think it's that weird. I sometimes clean when nobody is awake (or they're out) because I can get things done more quickly without distraction. I was talking to another INTJ co-worker and her husband going on trips meant she could finally get things done, and liked that time alone to get things in order or finished.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
I've actually thrown dishes away before because other people couldn't be bothered to wash their own dirty dishes. I've mentioned this before. It was at work, many years ago. Posted notes that other staff should do up their dishes, threatened to throw them out, and finally made good on my threat. Never been a problem since.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I do my chores in the morning. My brother is completely incompetent and doesn't understand what a 'garbage can' or 'sink' is, so my work is a little more extensive than it should have to be, but hey, it is what it is. I hate doing my chores before I go to bed because everyone is still up and moving around, I cannot do housework when there are people watching me, or even in the same room. It's weird, I know, but luckily no one is ever awake when I get up, so it all works out.
I also don't like people watching me do housework. I find it rather creepy.

While I admire people who are prompt/efficient with chores, I get very irritated with people who speed-eat and then can't wait to clean up the kitchen. Dinner is supposed to be leisurely, or at least a time where people get together to talk. It's hard to relax when people are pushing me to finish eating so they can wash my plate.

Seriously, I'll have made myself food, will be eating it and my OCD housemate will wash the pan I used and then act like a martyr.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Depends on the chore, some I like to get out of the way right away, others I don't mind leaving for a more convenient time. My rule is the grosser it is the more quickly I want it gone. That said sometimes I have a chore that I just have to get out of the way or I can't relax.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not really too anal about getting the chores done. As long as I know I have more than enough time to do them tomorrow, I'll leave them. I usually just get all of my stuff done during the day so I don't really have to worry about it at night.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.