Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi fellow ISTJs!

I'm an INFJ woman with a health science background. I recently had a hunch that there might be physiologic differences between the (4) personality types (SPs, SJs, NTs and NFs). One of them may be respiratory rate.

Can you please tell me your respiratory rate at rest (i.e., while sitting and are not engaged in activity)? You just have to count the number of breaths for 30 seconds and then multiply this number by (2) for breaths/minute.

Thanks!
Sun18 :eek:)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think mine's somewhere around 10-15/minute. It's hard to count my breaths when I'm actively thinking about them.

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think mine's somewhere around 10-15/minute. It's hard to count my breaths when I'm actively thinking about them.
Hi lightwing,

Thanks for participating in my thread and answering my question!

Yes, it's true that whenever we focus on a bodily function, we tend to become self-conscious and the data may be less accurate. But we can still get an approximate number.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If I try to monitor it myself I always come up with a low 8 per minute, but I think being conscious of it slows it down. I know nurses have measured it at 10 per minute.

I also know that my respiratory volume is unusually large (and forceful). I don't recall the numbers, just that I broke the spirometer when I underwent allergy testing at age 25... the nurse just laughed and made a notation of "not asthmatic".

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I try to monitor it myself I always come up with a low 8 per minute, but I think being conscious of it slows it down. I know nurses have measured it at 10 per minute.

I also know that my respiratory volume is unusually large (and forceful). I don't recall the numbers, just that I broke the spirometer when I underwent allergy testing at age 25... the nurse just laughed and made a notation of "not asthmatic".
Hi jcal,

Thanks for participating in my thread.

Breaking the spirometer at age 25... quite unusual! :eek:)

So 8-10 breaths/minute may be your respiratory rate range.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Hi jcal,

Thanks for participating in my thread.

Breaking the spirometer at age 25... quite unusual! :eek:)

So 8-10 breaths/minute may be your respiratory rate range.

Is it more usual at another age? The doctor told me he had only seen it happen one other time but didn't elaborate on the circumstance.

I probably could not still do that (break the spirometer), but I did blow out ALL of the candles on my last birthday cake with one quick blow... I had turned 58 so there was a good number of candles on there. My family just chalks it up to being "full of hot air", which is funny because I'm the one that never talks much.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it more usual at another age? The doctor told me he had only seen it happen one other time but didn't elaborate on the circumstance.

I probably could not still do that (break the spirometer), but I did blow out ALL of the candles on my last birthday cake with one quick blow... I had turned 58 so there was a good number of candles on there. My family just chalks it up to being "full of hot air", which is funny because I'm the one that never talks much.
Hi jcal,

My guess is that tall, very fit, young adult males may have the greatest lung capacity.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Hi jcal,

My guess is that tall, very fit, young adult males may have the greatest lung capacity.

At the time, I was 6'1", 225lbs and at least fit (probably not "very" fit). The "very fit" probably ended with my high school football days... "fit" was maintained for about 15 years via weekly basketball games and bicycle riding. Unfortunately, "fit" no longer applies... just walking is often an issue due to hip problems.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I got 14 the first time over 30 seconds x 2 (i.e. counted 7).

Then I did it again for the full minute, bit more relaxed, and got 12. So somewhere around there :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I counted 14 breaths per minute.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got 24 breaths per minute. I do tend to breathe in a shallow and quick way (which I am trying to work on, but it is hard when I am concentrating, which is always!)

What are some things you've noticed about the respiratory rate of other types?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got 24 breaths per minute. I do tend to breathe in a shallow and quick way (which I am trying to work on, but it is hard when I am concentrating, which is always!)

What are some things you've noticed about the respiratory rate of other types?
Hi polliwog,

Thanks for participating in my thread and answering my question!

On Saturday October 25th in the evening, I will post the results that I've collected from the 16 personality types. I will explain in detail why I asked for people's respiratory rates, and how it may help us better identify to which temperament we truly belong to. So you only have to wait another day to know the pattern that emerged from my very short survey.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My respiratory rate is around 11 per minute, to answer your question.

I'm not in the biomedical field, would not know all the right questions to ask, but based on some simple logic, I find the basis of your study puzzling in that:

- Age groups and genders are not asked for.
- Pre-existing conditions are not asked for.
- Other conditions that could affect breathing rates are not asked for.

These physiological factors would definitely affect your breathing rate. Besides, there is:

- Sample size is very small.
- a lack of standardisation in MBTI profiling, since scores are self reported.

If these are not known, I'm curious to know, what sort of conclusion are you trying to draw from the data collected and how do you intend to generalise it into a pattern?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My respiratory rate is around 11 per minute, to answer your question.

I'm not in the biomedical field, would not know all the right questions to ask, but based on some simple logic, I find the basis of your study puzzling in that:

- Age groups and genders are not asked for.
- Pre-existing conditions are not asked for.
- Other conditions that could affect breathing rates are not asked for.

These physiological factors would definitely affect your breathing rate. Besides, there is:

- Sample size is very small.
- a lack of standardisation in MBTI profiling, since scores are self reported.

If these are not known, I'm curious to know, what sort of conclusion are you trying to draw from the data collected and how do you intend to generalise it into a pattern?
Hi Epicyclic,

Thanks for participating in my thread and answering my question.

Your points are all valid. I will explain myself in detail tomorrow (October 25th) in the evening, and I trust that your questions will be answered to your satisfaction. I wanted to collect about 100 responses from the (16) personality types to identify a trend between the (4) main groups. I posted the exact same O.P. in every (16) personality forum within the past 3 days.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.