Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum and since doing a lot of online personality tests 9 times out of 10 I come up as an ISTJ which describes me to a t. Although I don't with the ISTJ description as in we think we are always right all the time because I can easily (most of the time) admit when I am in the wrong.

I am definately reserved and quiet most of the time people have always pointed it out how I was reserved in social situations hinting having "Autistic tendencies". One teacher in college joked I was "Clint Eastwood", just about in every school and college report people seem to comment how quiet I am. It seems ISTJ's have a zen like state of calm and they are quite unemotional. For example I am quiet and not very expessive emotionally but I do talk to others and ask about them, try to get to know them with a cool demeanour. I feel unemotional most of the time unless a good joke, a humourous situation triggers a feeling.

I am wondering how other ISTJ's do socially. I am social, I try to be social and I often do talk and mingle with others say at a party (which I rarely go to) but I suck at maintaining friendships and I never found it easy tp make and keep "real" friends. I am also not the best at conversation and I am typically more of a listener than a talker. I used to have a lot of anxiety and I was shy in my teenage years which I kind of out grew of yet I still remain cool, calm, quiet and somewhat aloof so I think it's just part of my personality. I am definately a loner I like time alone and think nothing about going out to eat, going to a movie by myself, in fact I rather enjoy being by myself for long periods and I think this is why I feel (especially growing up) that I could relate to fictional loners (eg Bruce Wayne, Fox Mulder, James Bond etc) being with others socially even my own family can be enjoyable but it does get draining after a while. For example If I am away abroad and with my family all the time after a week or so I can't wait to get back home and be alone. I love my family of course but I definately do feel a need to be alone. I think because ISTJ's have loner behaviours that is why I have been fine single for so many years and somewhat content with any female partner.

Can anyone relate and because of our naturally quiet and introvetered personality has anyone wondered (maybe even yourself) whether you could be somewhat Autistic? I do feel odd or different to others which people have pointed out over the years but perhaps introverts aren't so common?

·
Registered
106 Posts
First off, welcome!

The thought of autism never crossed my mind. I've always been quiet, reserved (Avatar) and shy. Just me. Social situations really fry me. However, I can become a "chatty Cathy" if a subject is brought up I know a lot about.

I would suggest lurking around here for a while. You'll see other ISTJ's think and do things just like you. It's helped me. I don't get the feeling "it's just me" anymore :happy:

·
Registered
324 Posts
One teacher in college joked I was "Clint Eastwood", just about in every school and college report people seem to comment how quiet I am.
I too got the same reacting form teachers and those who would see me as in school. People can be draining so i see your point about needing time to yourself. Sooner or later you will come to terms if this part of your personality and take it as it is. You don't have to be social all the time.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I am quiet when around others because I don't care to stand out too often, like to hear where others come from and analyze their opinions, and there is a low social drive in me. Who cares to make a circle of 20 friends? I spend ALOT of time working on my career or long term goal. Give me a close friend I can spend time with twice a week and everyone else doesn't matter.

You just feel odd because everyone else puts an over emphasis on socializing, and not enough on working. Ever heard the life students in China live when in school? They treat school like a full time job and not a social venue till 18, and are slowly but surely creating a better nation than us(in the United States). Your on the right track, lets just focus on responsibilities and mental maturity.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
It seems ISTJ's have a zen like state of calm and they are quite unemotional.
If I'm at work, yes. If I'm running about doing errands/interacting with the general public, yes.
If I'm in an argument with someone I'm close to? I can overshout anyone (to my later embarassment).

I try to be social and I often do talk and mingle with others say at a party (which I rarely go to) but I suck at maintaining friendships and I never found it easy tp make and keep "real" friends. I am also not the best at conversation
I hate mingling at parties. I enjoy the *idea* of going to a party, but then when I'm actually there, I seek out people I know and try to stay within earshot of those certain people. Making small talk is fairly difficult for me. The whole friendship thing is difficult, as well. Usually ends up that people are too flaky, and they end up falling off the radar (although there was one particular instance of an ex-ENTJ friend that ended up ending very, very badly after several years of being friends).

and think nothing about going out to eat, going to a movie by myself
I abhor the idea of dining alone or going to the movies alone (although I like the idea of peace and quiet, what prevents me from acting on that is the whole "Look at me! I'm by myself because I couldn't find one single person that wanted to come along with me!" thing. Ugh. And so I usually just get take-out and watch a movie online.) :angry:

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Hi I am new to the forum and since doing a lot of online personality tests 9 times out of 10 I come up as an ISTJ which describes me to a t. Although I don't with the ISTJ description as in we think we are always right all the time because I can easily (most of the time) admit when I am in the wrong.

I am definately reserved and quiet most of the time people have always pointed it out how I was reserved in social situations hinting having "Autistic tendencies". One teacher in college joked I was "Clint Eastwood", just about in every school and college report people seem to comment how quiet I am. It seems ISTJ's have a zen like state of calm and they are quite unemotional. For example I am quiet and not very expessive emotionally but I do talk to others and ask about them, try to get to know them with a cool demeanour. I feel unemotional most of the time unless a good joke, a humourous situation triggers a feeling.

I am wondering how other ISTJ's do socially. I am social, I try to be social and I often do talk and mingle with others say at a party (which I rarely go to) but I suck at maintaining friendships and I never found it easy tp make and keep "real" friends. I am also not the best at conversation and I am typically more of a listener than a talker. I used to have a lot of anxiety and I was shy in my teenage years which I kind of out grew of yet I still remain cool, calm, quiet and somewhat aloof so I think it's just part of my personality. I am definately a loner I like time alone and think nothing about going out to eat, going to a movie by myself, in fact I rather enjoy being by myself for long periods and I think this is why I feel (especially growing up) that I could relate to fictional loners (eg Bruce Wayne, Fox Mulder, James Bond etc) being with others socially even my own family can be enjoyable but it does get draining after a while. For example If I am away abroad and with my family all the time after a week or so I can't wait to get back home and be alone. I love my family of course but I definately do feel a need to be alone. I think because ISTJ's have loner behaviours that is why I have been fine single for so many years and somewhat content with any female partner.

Can anyone relate and because of our naturally quiet and introvetered personality has anyone wondered (maybe even yourself) whether you could be somewhat Autistic? I do feel odd or different to others which people have pointed out over the years but perhaps introverts aren't so common?
i dont make efforts to make friends. im am ALWAYS alone. there are people who try to make it into my social gratitude, namely because of the way ic arry myself in class. but i am most of the time alone. i read and study by myself, and i would spend most of my time between classes roaming the halls. but now i have a laptop, so i can do assignments in between classes. i like the autism thing. sometimes people would come up to me and talk to me like i was retarded. in highschool i was between classes and had nowhere to go, and i knew i couldt show up to my next class early, i had to wait for everyone to leave, so i stood on the stairwell and looked at the portable, waiting for the people to come out and the principal came and asked me if i knew where i was. i can laugh at it now, but was offended then. on my own time i researched autism after reading the term "absolute terror field" whilst researching neon genesis evangelion. while reading about autistic people i thought "gee that sounds alot like me". funny.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
I am quiet when around others because I don't care to stand out too often, like to hear where others come from and analyze their opinions, and there is a low social drive in me. Who cares to make a circle of 20 friends? I spend ALOT of time working on my career or long term goal. Give me a close friend I can spend time with twice a week and everyone else doesn't matter.

You just feel odd because everyone else puts an over emphasis on socializing, and not enough on working. Ever heard the life students in China live when in school? They treat school like a full time job and not a social venue till 18, and are slowly but surely creating a better nation than us(in the United States). Your on the right track, lets just focus on responsibilities and mental maturity.
thats so true, and thats how i should have seen school in my time. its almost like my parents bred me for failure. if i didnt come across the literature i did, when i did, i'd still be in the rut those assholes put me in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, welcome!

The thought of autism never crossed my mind. I've always been quiet, reserved (Avatar) and shy. Just me. Social situations really fry me. However, I can become a "chatty Cathy" if a subject is brought up I know a lot about.
I agree I am often quiet and reserved but I can talk a lot more when a subject of interest comes up like hobbies (mine or their interests). Thanks for the welcome.

I hate mingling at parties. I enjoy the *idea* of going to a party, but then when I'm actually there, I seek out people I know and try to stay within earshot of those certain people. Making small talk is fairly difficult for me. The whole friendship thing is difficult, as well. Usually ends up that people are too flaky, and they end up falling off the radar (although there was one particular instance of an ex-ENTJ friend that ended up ending very, very badly after several years of being friends).
I try and be social and friendly if I am out however I rarely ever go to parties or get invinted to them. Usually I talk to others for a bit and soon enough I can't think what else to talk about, so there will be a long silence. Then I just chat now and again to people I know (which is usually vey few) and I typically just remain quiet and observe everything. I find I usually just have aquaitances people I know a bit but don't actually hang out with them and they're not really friends either. Even when I was younger I only had a small amount of friends growing up and often we got on well because we enjoyed playing videogames and play them together and that's all would do.

I abhor the idea of dining alone or going to the movies alone (although I like the idea of peace and quiet, what prevents me from acting on that is the whole "Look at me! I'm by myself because I couldn't find one single person that wanted to come along with me!" thing. Ugh. And so I usually just get take-out and watch a movie online.) :angry
You see I don't think or feel that way at all I even enjoy solitude more than being with others most of the time. I used to go to the cinema a lot on my own, if the cinema was empty even better (less people talking during the film). When I first started college I never had proper friends and difficulty making them (nothing new there) and often I would go out of the college and eat lunch alone, go for a long walk alone even I was with others during the break I looked forward to time alone. I don't care what other people think if they see me out by myself but maybe I am just weird, perhaps a bit Autistic like I said before. Even as kid growing up I always visualized myself being alone, the idea of marriage and kids never appealed to me and I doubt I will ever get married. I feel I don't get as lonley as most people and I can go weeks without seeing or speaking to anyone even family members.

i like the autism thing. sometimes people would come up to me and talk to me like i was retarded. in highschool i was between classes and had nowhere to go, and i knew i couldt show up to my next class early, i had to wait for everyone to leave, so i stood on the stairwell and looked at the portable, waiting for the people to come out and the principal came and asked me if i knew where i was. i can laugh at it now, but was offended then. on my own time i researched autism after reading the term "absolute terror field" whilst researching neon genesis evangelion. while reading about autistic people i thought "gee that sounds alot like me". funny.
Same here I have looked into Autism and I find I have many traits but I don't think I am Autistic and it would of been picked up on years ago. I was diagnosed with mild learning difficulties as a kid. My mother who even works with special needs and Autistic kids says I have traits for example:

I apparntly used to line up my toys, and cars as a child and now I am aware of it I sometimes find myself lining objects up and as a kid I do think I lacked imagination playing with my toys.

I am often quite quiet and introverted

Being a loner and prefer being own my own

I sometimes have obsessions about things like certain movies, videogames etc and I can be totally absored in them like it's all I care about. which I do think is probably immature and odd compared to most people my age.

I tend to take things too litterally at times (which I heard is a ISTJ trait also) and sometimes don't get if people are joking or not.

I don't understanding most jokes like most people do (I realized this growing up when I was in college) or it takes me a while to get them even if they are explained to me. I was usually the last to get the point of the joke in the group. However I do get sarcasm for the most part and I have been told I have a very dry sense of humour. Perhaps it's because the way I think is more litteral and dry humour almost points out the obvious in things yet others find it funny.

Like I have said previously I do find it hard to make and keep friends even though I am social and talk to others and try to connect with them, ask about them etc.

strange usually authistic people are extroverted
I don't think that is true because I know of a few people with Autism who ar qujte introverted.

Anyway thanks for the replies this is great website it seems though even amongst other ISTJ's I am not completely normal.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Not autistic, because someone who is autistic cannot learn to overcome their problems.

What you are describing sounds very familliar to me as I used to be like that as a young man. However, unlike the autistic an ISTJ can do a lot to improve their lot. You need to work on your social skills and self confidence. Becoming a more social, outgoing, self assured person is something that can be learned, as they are skills. For me a big help in becoming more outgoing and comfortable with people-even enjoying the company of others- was my guitar playing and musical skills- playing in bands etc and sometimes gigs in front of thousands of people.

One just has to decide to develop one's people skills and go out and develop them!

I am still an introvert, still an ISTJ but consider myself an outgoing social introvert. Good social skills bring a lot of benefits in life, and no down sides. I think that if I can develop these skills then so can all of you and no need to resign yourselves to saying "I'm autistic" or "it's because I'm an ISTJ".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have got over a lot of my shyness (even extroverts can be shy as well) but I think I just have a more introverted personality and a few Autistic traits but I am not Autistic. ISTJ's I think are more of the reserved personality types.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
i found this test on the web, it gives a score which indicates a persons inclination towards aspergers syndrome.
i found alot of the questions would be aimed towards ISTJ's.

my score was 123/200 for autistic traits and 68/200 for non autistic traits. apairently i most likely have aspergers.

RDOS operating system and the Neanderthal theory

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have always been so curious about autism and Asperger's syndrome.
I took the test that Mercer posted, and got 130/220 for autistic traits, and 73/200 for non-autistic traits. I most likely have Asperger's. I also found the traits to be very ISTJ.
I have been reading up on it, and I definitely had many more of the traits when I was a child.
I also read somewhere (I honestly forget- so frustrating) that everyone is autistic to some degree. It's more of a spectrum than a black and white thing.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
I have always been so curious about autism and Asperger's syndrome.
I took the test that Mercer posted, and got 130/220 for autistic traits, and 73/200 for non-autistic traits. I most likely have Asperger's. I also found the traits to be very ISTJ.
I have been reading up on it, and I definitely had many more of the traits when I was a child.
I also read somewhere (I honestly forget- so frustrating) that everyone is autistic to some degree. It's more of a spectrum than a black and white thing.
yeah i know that, and thanks for th einfo, i think you are only disabled if it is to the point where it compromises your education or employment. i also looked and found several forums of istjs, intjs and infjs posting their scores, and many of them were 160-200. and on the sight i found this on, there was a message board where the people who tested positive scored 140-200. so i guess 123 and 130 aren't that bad. i guess the istj personality, or something about our combination of functions, is possibly neurologically similar to the criteria for aspergers. again, like OCD, its a spectrum and everyone has it.

Reactions: niss

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I also found the traits to be very ISTJ.
I agree with what nosilla has posted. It's when we don't grow out of these traits at particular developmental levels that we attract notice and people begin searching for reasons why.

I had some of these traits as a child, as did SWMBO and one of my sons. But we all grew out of them--and I think most people do. Unstable home environments can inhibit normal growth and development, making these traits more prominent.

I dislike the trendiness, or how certain psychological labels become chic. For a while it was ADD, then ADHD, and now we discover Asperger's. It's not that individuals don't have these problems...I know individuals that fit into each of these categories. But it is very different for a formal psychological diagnosis to occur than it is for people to read about it on the net and assume the mantle of the newest disability. I also believe that some times doctors of psychology tend to follow current trends themselves, lumping all borderline cases into groups, finding it easier to go with the flow rather than row against the current. This is made easier by the subjectivity of the diagnosis.

Personally, I avoid labels of this type unless it becomes a clear cut case of a personality disorder. I believe labels in borderline cases can do more harm than good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i found this test on the web, it gives a score which indicates a persons inclination towards aspergers syndrome.
i found alot of the questions would be aimed towards ISTJ's.

my score was 123/200 for autistic traits and 68/200 for non autistic traits. apairently i most likely have aspergers.

RDOS operating system and the Neanderthal theory
I did that test and my results were;

Your Aspie score: 107 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 98 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits.

Interesting stuff, thx for link.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts