Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
ESTP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. It's been a looong time since I've set foot on this site, but I'd thought I'd talk about some things.

What is your relationship with writing? Are you interested in it? How good are you at writing? Do you ever write fictional stories or journal in a diary? I try to write every single day despite it being a pain in the butt to do, but I do it because I enjoy it. I also want to ask do you have any favorite writers or authors or even genres? I've been reading quite a lot of Franz Kafka lately, a rather surreal yet pessimistic German writer.

Let me know what you think about writing, I'm interested to hear what y'all have to say.

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
955 Posts
Hi.

Ignore the INTP label. I figured I'm actually a sensor but I don't feel like changing it just yet.

I have a love-hate relationship with writing. I'm considered a good writer and like to write, but I have such high standards for my writing that it's rare that I finish anything unless I have to (for school or work). Editing is a unique form of torture.

My favorite genres: literary nonsense and satire. I guess it's because I find life absurd and don't like to take it seriously. I don't actually read books very much these days though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What is your relationship with writing?
Love it and hate it. Hate the tedious process of doing it, but I love coming back to the thoughts and ideas I've written down that I probably would have forgotten if I didn't have it on paper/Docs.

Are you interested in it? How good are you at writing?
Interested enough to take a Creative Writing class. Sor far, it's fun and unstressful, with not a huge workload. I've been given a lot of praise for my stories (although I think they're just polite), but in regards to formal writing like essays, I tend to get better grades without even trying hard.

Do you ever write fictional stories or journal in a diary?
I write the crazy stuff that happens to me in my dreams down in a journal if that counts.

Do you have any favorite writers or authors or even genres?
I tend to admire a lot of INFP writers. And as for genres, I tend to go for whatever I'm in the mood to read. I like to read anything from nonfiction, fiction, action, comedy, romance, adventure, classics, foreign novels, folktales, crime, and fanfiction. I'll read anything, especially ones that many think of as weird and is fast-paced.

·
Banned
544 Posts
I have a much easier time in my English classes than any math or science class I've taken. Writing comes to me pretty naturally but I am pretty terrible at punctuation (commas in paticular.) I generally get A's and B's in my writing classes, and am considering taking a creative writing class. I journal sometimes and write lyrics for songs I come up with.

It's hard for me to not give up on reading a book a few pages in, but I like George RR Martin, J.K. Rowling and remember being fascinated with the Kurt Vonnegut short story "Harrison Bergeron" back in middle school. I also usually really enjoy movies based on Elmore Leonard books (Get Shorty, Jackie Brown, 3:10 to Yuma), although I haven't actually read any of his books.

·
Registered
ESTP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are all interesting stories and opinions. I discovered whilst I was away that I'm most likely an INFP which may explain my creative tendencies, but I'm not sure yet.

What I fear the most in my writings is being unoriginal. Being a writer is "cool", so now people want to be writers, thus there being far more people who don't actually care about writing but just being socially different. I never share my work with anyone, even though I've written a damn novella and several short stories. I just don't think anything I write will be interesting or original enough to captivate someone, but hey, you'll have to read it if you want to know.

@letsrunlikecrazy I write absurdist fiction, usually in the forms of science-fiction, dystopian, war, political/social commentary, and surrealism.

@OHtheNovelty I am a great admirer of the INFP writers (as many writers are INFPs), especially Orwell and Kafka. It may be due to their ability to look inside themselves and truly understand what it is they want in this world.

@Bernard Bernoulli I love that short story by Vonnegut, I also read it in middle school. In this day and age, with people obsessed about equality, we may as well end up with masks, weights, and ear pieces to bring us down to nothing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I like writing; in fact, I would love to be a writer someday.
I think I still have a long way to go to get better at writing, as I'm not really a naturally gifted person when it comes to language; I think I've made some progress lately, but I don't feel like that's enough. That's why I want to keep on reading and practicing my own writing, and I hope to find someone who will be willing to read my pieces when I'll feel confident enough to show them to someone.
I'm not a native English speaker, but I try to read and write in both my own language and English. I would say that the majority of the stuff I read on a daily basis is in English, and, for some aspects, I find myself more comfortable writing in English than in my own language.
Up to now, I've written some parts of the story I'm currently working on, some short tales (inspired by some crazy dreams I've had) and a few fanfictions. I've also tried keeping a journal, but after a few days I get bored and/or forget to write anything so I've never been able to keep one for more than a week.
Unfortunately, I haven't written in a long time (it's been a month, I think). When I have more time (during the summer, for example) I try to write at least every day, if not every week.
As for genres, I would say my favorites are sci-fi, thriller, mistery and horror. I also like slice of life, historical novels and fantasy, when it's well-written. As for authors, I would say that some of my favorites are Tolkien, Hemingway and Stephen King; that latter is actually the one who sparkled my interest in writing, with "The Stand".
I'm currently reading (in my native language) "The Black Cloud" by Fred Hoyle; and of course I read a lot of fanfictions in English every day.

·
Registered
ESTP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@nestle_bird Write everyday, no matter what, even if it's just for 20 minutes. I write for an hour or two everyday, but that's because I use a schedule where that allows me to see how many free hours I have in a day. By the end of the month your writing will have improved dramatically. And of course, read plenty of English fiction since it's not your native language. You'll develop the skill and vocabulary to create something very well-written.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,040 Posts
My ISTP ex husband is a brilliant writer. His style is gritty, much like Stephen King's earlier works. He gets restless, though, so he usually completes books about every 2 years.

Reactions: nestle_bird

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi. I'm an author. *waves* So yep, I've actually published two novels and a novella. Writing is a huge part of my life. It's my main hobby, and I'm just a little obsessed with it. I dedicate large amounts of time to it, and I deeply enjoy it.

Favorite genres: classics, historical romances, and fantasy. (Odd combo, I know.) Right now, I read a lot of a historical romance because that's what I'm writing, but I loooove classics (they were my first reading obsession besides kids' books) and fantasy (which is like a pair of warm, cozy, friendly slippers ... okay, the analogy has flown, but you know what I mean!).

·
Sire Dominus Laird
121 Posts
I remember once as a kid at school, I had to write a story. It was really hard at first, but once I got started I just kept on writing. I got a 10/10 on it (A+).
There were a few other occasions like that, but these tended to be more dramatic, one was inspired by a story of a guy who killed his mother that was terminally ill and suffering a lot.
I got the teacher crying. Achievements: +1!

But it's only fun for a little while, and with the imagination of a kid. I'd rather do something else :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I've always loved writing people say I'm good. I've done creative writing class for a day . I always did best in the writing exams in school also. I have written stories once or twice but never finish them as I get too indecisive near the end with too many ideas and leave it unfinished.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hello,

Whenever I write, I prefer a quiet environment and no sounds should bother me.
Welcome to PerC, Arthur (I see you’re not the king).

I agree, and not only with writing, but with anything that takes focus and concentration. Distractions are more than annoying and I can get a little testy when I’m really trying to get something done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I do enjoy writing, but my writing is focused on accuracy and clarity. I like to create the shortest most precise message I can manage without leaving ambiguity.

I'm not very interested in non fiction, I prefer literature and the practical application of ideas and philosophy. I can see the eternal value in the more esoteric and mystical, how it can be practically applied to gain understanding in our own lives.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I love writing. I have more than a few short stories that I’ve authored. Majored in English Linguistics so the written word is definitely my forte.

I thought about making a blog, but then I kinda forgot about it lol. Life gets in the way a lot so it’s difficult to find time for it.

With the increase of technology I’ve found that having the ability to read books my phone is incredibly helpful though I must admit I have an easier time beginning to read a book than actually finishing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts