Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i was thinking about this. It's not about looking physically older than you actually are i don't care about that, it's about looking older because of... behavior, i guess.

Did anybody ever tell you you look old, maybe that you have an old soul? Did you ask them why? Do you have any idea why?

Recently my parents were telling me i look older than other guys my age, then i was like "wat, why?" and they told me it wasn't because of physical appearance but because of how i behave... they suggested i look more mature and serious than the other guys.

At my second year of "highschool" (the equivalent of that in my country) some people would annoy me and i bluntly told them in their face that they were stupid or their voice made sick and their comeback insults involved calling me "old man", and i told them one of the reasons they were stupid was because they couldn't find another insult and that one didn't even make sense (how is that offensive anyways). It was the first time i was called that. This sounds like drama when i read it now but to me that was never a big thing, i just said the truth. I eventually got used to the stuff in them that annoyed me and we stopped casually insulting each other.

At my third year in "highschool" i was known as "Grumpy Old Man" (i was *middle school nickname* a.k.a. Grumpy Old Man). Every time one of my friends made impersonations of me he would make a gutural sound before starting (one of the phrases was "errhg, nothing pleases me" for example). I found it funny, but didn't really understand where exactly they were coming from for the "old" part.

In highschool i was really mad and annoyed (that environment really wasn't my thing) so i get the "grumpy" bit. But even now people sometimes tell me i look old (not trying to offend me though like the first time i heard it).

I'm not offended or looking for "there there"s i was just wondering if this is an ISTP thing.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yeah, I've gotten that. Less now that I am older these days, but I had a coworker tell me I seemed 55 (a good 10 years older than he was) when I was 25. I think it was a compliment, and maybe a little jealousy at my outlook on life.

Part of that might have been that I've spent a lot of time around old-timers, and adopted a lot of their mentality, even when I was younger. The rest is probably the laid back ISTP approach to life, where we're knowledgeable and fairly skilled in a lot of areas, but we aren't particularly showy about it, and how calmly we handle certain situations that send others into a tailspin.

Come to think of it, when I met my INFJ online, she thought I was a nice old guy, 75-80, so apparently not much has changed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
When I was younger a lot of adults used to say I was mature for my age or acted older than I really was, but now it's just, "Wow, you're 22? I thought you were like 12." I think my appearance kills any chance of someone thinking I seem old, despite how I may act sometimes. Although I did get "old man" from a couple of friends in high school too.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,699 Posts
No, but I do remember not being able to relate myself to anyone my age. I either seem too young or too old for them, figuratively speaking. However, nobody would ever believe me when I say I'm this xx age. They would perhaps look at me in surprise and mention some dumb things such as, " I didn't know you are older than me" or just laugh at me because I can never look like a legitimate adult. Sorry if you think doing "bad ass" stuff makes you an experienced old person. It's very annoying when you have to pull out your identification card just to prove yourself that you qualify for a job or something. That's why I have to practice being more outspoken all the time which really drains me physically because honestly I don't enjoy talking for a long span of time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Through my teens and maybe twenties, I would say people seemed to think of me as older than I was. I always attributed it to being the youngest of my siblings and cousins--so I spent most of my time (outside of school) either with kids that were older or adults. But maybe it had something to do with being an ISTP.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've had a number of peeps on here call me old. When I was younger, people often thought I was older than my age. They told me my eyes looked like those of an old man. Glaucoma? Cataract? Dang this literal mind.
Nothing a good pair of bifocals couldn't fix.

Did you hear they've got trifocals now? First sliced bread, now trifocals, what'll they think of next?!

Oh look at that, it's time to take my Geritol. :laughing:

Reactions: Thorweeps

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am often called an old man or an old soul. I take it as a compliment. I think some of it is dominant Ti (an impression) and some of it is other things like being an only child and being well-read.

I wasn't sheltered growing up and a lot of people my own age seem naive to me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes, I am turning 26. I stop being carded around 4 years ago. My coworkers (I've been here for 6 years now) all thought I was in my thirties until last year when I was in the country to celebrate my birthday.

It's mostly the beard, job, and mannerisms that confuse people.

I maybe crazy, cynical, or sociopathic; But just know I do it better than you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That signature-like sentence is quite confusing, i was all like "what da, i didn't even mention cynicism and sociopathy, what's this guy going on about?".
I'll need yo change font and such when I get a chance. Distinguish it, from my replies.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll need yo change font and such when I get a chance. Distinguish it, from my replies.

I would recommend putting it along with the normal signature ("Knowledge is power, power corrupts. Study hard and become evil." in this case), i mean, how do you even keep up with that "misplaced signature", don't you have to write it every time you post to do that? o_O

If you really want to leave it there you could use [hr*][/hr] (without asterisk) along with a different font. That code makes a line that splits the post...

[hr][/hr]

...like this.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would recommend putting it along with the normal signature ("Knowledge is power, power corrupts. Study hard and become evil." in this case), i mean, how do you even keep up with that "misplaced signature", don't you have to write it every time you post to do that? o_O

If you really want to leave it there you could use [hr*][/hr] (without asterisk) along with a different font. That code makes a line that splits the post...

[hr][/hr]

...like this.
I added it while on mobile. So it placed it where ever it placed it.

Now that I know it really does look like part of my message, I'll fix it when I can access the website.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm the one calling other people old lol.

If I were to describe myself, I would be that mature child/manchild-old man hybrid.
It really depends on the situation and mood.

Of course there were people calling me "uncle" and those same people also called me "mischievous" in the childish sense.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
People constantly assume I am 10-15 years older than I actually am, when they are not aware of my true age. Typically this comes about because I don't participate in gossip, nor do I talk without having something important to add. Most people do these things, and I think a lack of it, is construed as old age. I also don't respond to conversations and stimuli in an emotional way, which falls in with that as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I get called an old man by my grandma because I'll "complain" about things that I think suck. I wouldn't call it complaining. I'm simply stating the truth. I think I've always seemed more mature for my age due to mannerisms though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
yea , but that because i have a versitail mentality . i can be like a little kid , a puber , a young adult , a grown up or a elder cittizin .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think I've ever really been told I act old. I'm usually the one breaking all the rules (went to boarding school in Nigeria. Hard times)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts