Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a problem with flipping out? Reason I ask is I read ISTP's are prone to emotional outbursts because we don't deal with our emotions. From my experience I can say I agree. My outbursts have actually landed me in several problematic situations and have cost me a good deal.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I have a lot of self control so I don't have to worry about emotional outbursts a lot. If I lose that self control, run as fast as you can since it most likely means I'm angry and when I'm angry, there will be no yelling, I just wanna smash in the face of whoever I'm mad at.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Well, I am an ESTP but you guys and us are very alike with that. Only that you prefer to keep it all hidden, while we will look bugged and still won't talk about it.
If you keep your emotions inside and always shove them aside how we xSTPs do, they sooner or later burst out, yes. Emotions are like water: they will always find a way to the surface. I learned that the hard way too.
However, I suggest you find some activity or something to "get the emotions out". Me, I usually punch things or I go jogging or something. Helps to keep the bursts under control better.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I know my problem with doing that is the fact that I do martial arts, so I always have to be told to lighten up or calm down. I was almost kicked out of a muay thai class for hitting too hard when we were doing light sparring. The guy did a light combo to my body and I just whacked him hard to the jaw with a left hook.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Yeah, youre right. The more physically active i am the calmer I am. I cut trees for a living, and it is perfect for that...only problem is my boss.
How is your boss the problem when you do your job? Oh, let me guess. He is the one making you mad or something? So while you try to get yourself calm with the tree cutting, he always upsets you again? Or am I wildly off here?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Yeah, I do have that tendency. Sometimes I am able to control my outbursts, but other times I just have so much built up anger, energy, etc...I can't help it. Thankfully I don't ever physically hurt anybody. The worst I've done is throw a shoe at my brother.

Reactions: Grey and Phoenix

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is your boss the problem when you do your job? Oh, let me guess. He is the one making you mad or something? So while you try to get yourself calm with the tree cutting, he always upsets you again? Or am I wildly off here?
He knows it all and he abuses his position of authority. He is the type of person that will make you do something because he is the boss not because it is logically the best way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know my problem with doing that is the fact that I do martial arts, so I always have to be told to lighten up or calm down. I was almost kicked out of a muay thai class for hitting too hard when we were doing light sparring. The guy did a light combo to my body and I just whacked him hard to the jaw with a left hook.
Like to compete much?

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
He knows it all and he abuses his position of authority. He is the type of person that will make you do something because he is the boss not because it is logically the best way.
Wow, what an asshole. I'd freakin' punch his face.
So how much longer are you stuck in that job or with that guy? And chance to get out / change? Or can you report him somewhere? If not, you might need to get a sporty-hobby. Do you do anything like that? Oh, and if everything fails, this is something my friend Ren (ESTP too) does too: Taking St. John capsules to keep yourself more relaxed. You could also combine the two. Very nice as well. =3

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Like to compete much?
Very much. Even if it's only supposed to be light, I can't do it. At the end of one Judo class, when they said they were gonna do light sparring (which was basically one person putting another in a technique but not going too hard so they could escape), I just left because there's no way I'd be able to do it. I actually had one partner switch on me because he wanted to be with someone who, as he put it, was a little less "kickass."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, what an asshole. I'd freakin' punch his face.
So how much longer are you stuck in that job or with that guy? And chance to get out / change? Or can you report him somewhere? If not, you might need to get a sporty-hobby. Do you do anything like that? Oh, and if everything fails, this is something my friend Ren (ESTP too) does too: Taking St. John capsules to keep yourself more relaxed. You could also combine the two. Very nice as well. =3
I used to drink and smoke pot helped me calm down....but I got a little out of control. I'll probably have to deal with that guy for a couple more years. I've been taking classes at our local community college and will most likely work towards starting my own tree removal firm. I love the work so much I can't see myself doing anything else. It's a great workout and you get paid and y6our outside a lot! :proud:

·
MOTM Aug 2010
1,412 Posts
I do have a decent amount of self-control and have mellowed out quite a bit compared to my younger years, so emotional outbursts aren't so frequent for me. But when they do happen . . . WATCH OUT! And in those cases exercising usually doesn't help much . . . in fact I'm probably much more likely to break things in that kind of state.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
I love the work so much I can't see myself doing anything else. It's a great workout and you get paid and y6our outside a lot! :proud:
Then stick to the workout I guess. Oh and you know what else? Try to make a great friend (unless you have one already) and try to talk about SOME of the stuff that really bugs you. Yeah I know, it is gonna be socially awkward, hard to do and all but I have no idea how bad your outbursts are and before you hurt anybody, you should rather do that one.
If it is only "mild" outburts though, the workout usually works great.
I also use a lot of music to expel energy. Or videogames. If you like either, you might wanna try that too. :wink:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I have a lot of self control so I don't have to worry about emotional outbursts a lot. If I lose that self control, run as fast as you can since it most likely means I'm angry and when I'm angry, there will be no yelling, I just wanna smash in the face of whoever I'm mad at.
Then what you are saying is that you are repressing the feelings. The fact that you have not been in a continued emotional frenzy to where you do not explode does not mean it's not there. You have been able to contain it. Back to the question, yes I explode and it's ugly. Ironically having to deal with those type of situations in others is the weakest part of ISTPs personality, per Linda Berens.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You know, aside from the screaming matched I've had in the past with my father and stepmom, I have never exploded into a screaming rage at anyone or anything. Ever. I can only assume this is because of one of two things: 1. I'm repressing shitloads of anger or 2. I know how to properly channel all my emotional turmoil into healthy outlets that don't involve broken feelings or faces.

Sometimes I think it's a strange combination of the two, it's a total headtrip trying to think about it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is the absolute worst sort of person for an ISTP to have as a boss. Not that any personality type would appreciate his actions, but we ISTPs tend to avoid abusive authority, whether the authority is ours or our superiors. I don't know what would be the best way to handle a guy like that, but if I were in your position, I'd lose it after a while.

Maybe this is stupid, but you really may want to say something to him about that. Be as calm and approachable as possible without being a pushover. Let him know that what he's doing is clearly a bigger source of stress than he is aware of. That's my two cents anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Feeler here :tongue:
I know this might sound crazy but what about finding one person you trust to talk through your emotions with? I have a very good ISTP friend who calls when she is upset to get an emotional perspective (when she feels like she is going to flip out on someone). I help her talk through her emotions which usually calms her down.

She also helps me see things from a more logical perspective with no judgement. It's pretty awesome. She's the yin to my yang.

Reactions: PJR1981

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Normal overBearing

Anyone here have a problem with flipping out? Reason I ask is I read ISTP's are prone to emotional outbursts because we don't deal with our emotions. From my experience I can say I agree. My outbursts have actually landed me in several problematic situations and have cost me a good deal.

This seems to be normal behaviour for ISTP

Quenks says it is stress behaviour for ESTJ/ENTJ

Inferior Functions and Stress (Quenk)

I have tested Quenk in real life situations and (with reservations) it appears fairly accurate.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts