Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ISTPs, first let me tell you that I find you guys completely and utterly fascinating. I am a writer and when my main character took the MBTI test this week he turned out to be an ISTP. However I want you to evaluate him to see what YOU think: He is extremely charming, everyone approaches him and at first they love him but its just superficial and he doesn't let anyone in ever. This makes him have very FEW friends he actually trusts, so he is closed and distant. He often finds himself being hot or cold towards others there is no in between. He has extremely strong principles and ideas. He kind of has created an entire facade of himself, that he shows in public. He is very rebellious and extremely loyal, others never know what he is thinking. He craves for attention and being recognized, although he dislikes humanity (just exaggerating here hehe). He seems terribly cold but actually cares about others in an indirect manner.

What do you think? Those are just some of his characteristics but does he sound ISTP? WHat does and what doesn't? Also, can you share any evil or weird quircks? He really needs some but I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Some of it is uncharacteristic of ISTP, but if you figure that this character is an Enneagram type 3, It actually fits quite well still.

Non ISTP stuff -
Created a facade of himself, showing in public. (ISTPs typically are what you see is what you get kinda people. We are likely to be ourselves even when it may be a minor social blunder just because we cant be bothered with that kind of facade!)

Craves for attention by being recognized.(ISTPs aren't really attention seekers, especially not by seeking recognition. Typically, an ISTP is the kind who does a good job just because they get satisfaction from a job well done. Kind of like painting behind the radiator. Nobody will see it, but we just enjoy doing a good job on our personal projects.)

I have rarely seen an ISTP who is big on social/status symbols, neither one who wants to be skilled or good to impress(it's just a nice bonus from our compulsion to be skilled at things we are interested in)

However, that said, an Enneagram type 3 embodies all of the above, so an ISTP type 3 which is relatively rare, could fit that still

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Thank you! Yes... I'm beginning to doubt about his "I" but he just loves spending time alone I'm confused!
I type as ISTP in myersbriggs letter stackings but many (mbti enthusiasts) suspect I am in fact ESTP if that helps any. And even tho I like spending time alone I do get preoccupied with my hmm call it superstitions on others which can cause influence on my behavior like what you list. I related to your characters description somewhat. He is a walking contradiction of reserved and aloof and defiant, yet still subconsciously effected by others, right? Hello nice to meet you I just now call myself STP as I don't feel like a full blown ESTP nor ISTP. Altho I type as ennegram 7/8 or 8/7 first and then 6/5. And my cognitive functions test is some warped version of ENTP and ISTP next in line.

Anyways I can't speak for your character but I probably in all actuality when I really reflect back on childhood was extrovert that basically ended up reverting to introversion based on bad experiences with people and bad life experiences. I prefer solitude now but I am sure thats just because I am a bitter old hag, I have more of the feisty ridiculous animated self deprecating spunk of probably an ESTP and the need to blab on and on at times as well.

So is your character a self chosen loner based on bad experiences and converting thru self preservation?

Anyways who knows if I helped as I am more like XXTP first two goes back and forth.

Lol is your character schizo, because an INTP suggested that to me lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woww yes, thank you a lot you definitely did help a lot he is actually a walking contradiction since he has ugh just so many issues actually you see how he becomes more twisted as the story progresses and well he's a teenager so... Anyway you gave me lots to evaluate and think about, thanks a bunch!

·
Rustle Thy Jimmies
2,424 Posts
I'm going out on a base limb and assuming you don't know how MBTI works based off your comments of another thread.

The E/I really doesn't mean jack shit in regards to being social. The ONLY thing it does is describe which function stacks on top. In an the case of the ISTP, it says that the INTROVERTED THINKING stacks first. That's it. Having said that, because it's our primary function does mean we spend the most time with it (aka, inside our head).

It's entirely possible to have an incredibly social ISTP (living proof, as well as @Cinnamon83 and a few others on here).

There's a difference between attention seeking/recognition and just always wanting to be in the know. I've been called attention seeking before, but it's because I routinely insert myself into situations because I have to know something. I'm usually involved in the 'in' crowds where ever I find myself. Not because I necessarily like being popular or the recognition, but because it gives ACCESS to things that would otherwise be unaccessible. Case in point: where I'm at now, my two best friends are the two most 'popular/social' girls here. Why am I friends with them? One of them is an IFBB competitive body builder, so I've adopted her as my trainer. The other? ZERO problem making friends any and everywhere this chick goes. Because of them, I've made a few other friends here that have gotten me access to a lot of other stuff.

So yea, it's completely believable that an ISTP would put up a facade if it meant gaining access to things, even as a Type 5. Facade could just be viewed as another tool in the means to the end. Especially as a teenager trying to blend in.

I apologize if it's scattered brained or flows bad. Didn't feel like putting in my normal eloquence for you. I'm not a fan of you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts