Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else relates, but it may also be my enneagram tritype and instinct combination. I really feel like the epitome of, "Go hard or don't go at all", in every single thing I do in life. Major or minor. It has its benefits and its drawbacks. The way I see it is, "Why do something if you're not going to be passionate about it?" I used to play pickup basketball almost every day. Nowadays, I rarely even think of it anymore. I can't go for a casual bike ride, I gotta go for 40 miles or it's a waste of time. When I go out to eat, my focus is on the food, not the people I'm eating with. Feel it hitting your taste buds. "Damn this is so fire", continues to not participate in conversation. When I start school after being out of it for a while, I initially get all As. After a couple of semesters, it becomes tedious and miserable without practical application. Music increases enthusiasm in otherwise boring tasks. Why limit your enjoyment to just listening? Dance like no one's watching! If I'm not actually doing something, I'm most likely home sleeping. Go hard or don't do anything at all.

What do you think?

- ISTP 9w8 Sx/Sp
Tritype: 9w8 7w6 3w4

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I definitely relate. I don't see the point in doing something unless I truly care about it and want to do it well. If you're gonna half-ass something, might as well not do it, or if you have to do it, put very little effort.

I can't go for a casual bike ride, I gotta go for 40 miles or it's a waste of time. When I go out to eat, my focus is on the food, not the people I'm eating with. Feel it hitting your taste buds. "Damn this is so fire", continues to not participate in conversation. When I start school after being out of it for a while, I initially get all As. After a couple of semesters, it becomes tedious and miserable without practical application. Music increases enthusiasm in otherwise boring tasks. Dance like no one's watching!
I relate to this especially. When I work out (usually martial arts), I have to give everything my all or it's a waste of time. If there's not a lot of pain, then there's no gain. I'm either exercising hardcore 6-7 days a week, or being a completely immobile sack of shit on my couch.

And I do find it hard to pay attention to conversations when I'm eating something good. I'm not a talkative person anyway, but I talk even less when eating something good because my full focus is on the sensations on my taste buds.

I'm not quite a dancer, but I'm especially extra about music. I need to rate everything I listen to on a scale of 1-10, categorize and log EVERY piece of music I've heard, etc. Keep notes of what I like and dislike. That kind of stuff.

I don't talk to people unless I think it's going somewhere. I want to forge some sort of connection with them and anything less and casual just doesn't seem worth it. I'll cut the cord on our conversations or whatever we're doing if I don't think it's deep enough. Which I've always find kind of strange as a high-Se type.

Any hobby I have needs to be more than just a hobby, it needs to become a significant part of my life that I spend hours of my day doing and even more time thinking about how much I miss it.

Anything else, I just don't give a shit about.

I'm not sure if it's an ISTP thing as much as an sx thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely relate. I don't see the point in doing something unless I truly care about it and want to do it well. If you're gonna half-ass something, might as well not do it, or if you have to do it, put very little effort.

I relate to this especially. When I work out (usually martial arts), I have to give everything my all or it's a waste of time. If there's not a lot of pain, then there's no gain. I'm either exercising hardcore 6-7 days a week, or being a completely immobile sack of shit on my couch.

And I do find it hard to pay attention to conversations when I'm eating something good. I'm not a talkative person anyway, but I talk even less when eating something good because my full focus is on the sensations on my taste buds.

I'm not quite a dancer, but I'm especially extra about music. I need to rate everything I listen to on a scale of 1-10, categorize and log EVERY piece of music I've heard, etc. Keep notes of what I like and dislike. That kind of stuff.

I don't talk to people unless I think it's going somewhere. I want to forge some sort of connection with them and anything less and casual just doesn't seem worth it. I'll cut the cord on our conversations or whatever we're doing if I don't think it's deep enough. Which I've always find kind of strange as a high-Se type.

Any hobby I have needs to be more than just a hobby, it needs to become a significant part of my life that I spend hours of my day doing and even more time thinking about how much I miss it.

Anything else, I just don't give a shit about.

I'm not sure if it's an ISTP thing as much as an sx thing.
Agreed. I plan on taking Muay Thai classes soon and with commitment. I believe it is an Sx thing. What's your enneagram?

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Agreed. I plan on taking Muay Thai classes soon and with commitment. I believe it is an Sx thing. What's your enneagram?
4w3 6w5 9w8; not sure if I am sp/sx or sx/sp but definitely one of those.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
9w8 is your primary right? I've never heard of a 4w3 ISTP
Definitely not 9w8. Gut fix is the type I'm least sure of.
I type as 6w5 primary.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I went so hard I failed at life. Best lesson ever tbh.
"It's good for the mind to do stuff half-arsed."
"Lazy, correction: Efficient, is a healthy state of mind."

·
Registered
ISTP
50 Posts
Wear safety gear. Helmets, body armor, etc.

Then go hard, if you want. Or don't.

Don't be afraid of an obsession. Don't be afraid to slack.

I don't get road bikers, though. I will go really hard, but only as long as I'm having fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts