Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
bleh bleh-BLEH
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I mainly made this thread out of curiosity but anyway, yeah. I was kind of curious as to how these two types generally interact with each-other and hopefully, you guys could use personal experiences or maybe just base it off the cognitive functions. So, first thing:

INFP: Fi - Ne - Si - Te
ISTP: Ti - Se - Ni - Fe

The cognitive functions they use are the complete opposite both in order and between the introversion and extroversion. So yeah, that's kind of something that makes them almost to always completely incompatible. Of course, not basing everything necessarily on the types but anyway - right. Personally, I've always found ISTPs' to be intriguing and fun to be around with. I have one friend that happens to be an ISTP and we're not necessarily close, per se, but I can always have a good and fun conversation. I have a teacher that's an ISTP as well and he's been one of the best I've ever had. Maybe it's because he uses a lot more Ne than a typical ISTP but yeah... and fictional characters in general.

So, I guess, the question is directed to you guys. Your thoughts on INFPs' and you can use it from any perspective at all. Whether it's personal or talking from what you know with the cognitive functions, etc... I'm just curious as to what you guys thought about this, if you even had any but there's a reason why you clicked on this thread, haha... and also the bumps along the road with their interaction and compatibility and why those bumps even exist in the first place.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Never worked for a long period of time, worse thing is when you have to work really close with one and communicate a lot. Usually reverts to just emailing...

Fi gets pissed over crappy Fe and Ti gets pissed over crappy Te.

There can be good, open conversations, which feels like no limits until Fi gets butthurt, but that's about it.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Really really being serious I like INFPS I do. A lot!

That said what I am going to say always has seemed to be a barrier for me vs them in general speaking is that, they seem to have a huge moral high ground. We seem to be more creatures of principle. I have had an extremely hard time taking in how some seem to mistake their own kind and well intentions in some sort of maybe higher continuity of character. Um it ticks me off when those things get pulled out, there sometimes seems to be a dilution involved with well intention and well meant heart as more merit in values.

Ok so even today I had a debate with my ENFP friend (so INFP cousin). She was speaking so passionately about the movie Black Fish, she was soooooooo emotionally invested in her argument and well intention she seemed to be not listening to a fucking thing I was saying, she was only hearing what she wanted to. i.e. So she went to post the link to FB, on freeing all the Whales, I said well I am not sure that I think its good to put Whales that are in captivity back into the wild. She was so invested in her feelings on that matter she started to talk about people that really care seem to feel different (WTF), I said I am not condoning the catch and captivity of wild animals that are not endangered. I am not promoting mating them further based on the living conditions. I am saying you don't take a declawed kitty and stick it by an alley cat. She with no argument outside passion just talked about how they could survive being freed (could, yes but I think given they have been born and lived in captivity its like dropping them off in the jungle, thats cruel as well) Now my point was not to debate who was wrong or right it was to try and demonstrate the difference in how one views things and sees opinions around them. She kept dismissing anything I was saying and impulsively posted that link. She was emotionally impacted by a 30 second promo activist group. I was not saying I agree or disagree I was telling her the downside and why its important not to get so emotionally involved. Then she started to appeal her emotions in a way that was to explain she was some how defining herself as a higher value of compassion (well thats debatable because getting emotional is not the same as having emotion or further more compassion).

The morality/higher value trump card often used irritates the hell out of me. NFP seem to not understand that just because everyone does not get as emotionally compelled as them does not mean they don't care. People have different ways of caring and different causes. I might not be a sucker for a 30 sec you tube activist promo, but I am very effective in trying to make the world a better place.

Did I explain from my perception some of my problem with it the interaction and the differences. That whole entire interaction her and I had was a face off of Fi vs Ti.

·
Registered
526 Posts
@Cinnamon83 ENFP's have similarities with INFP's but the points you made tend to fall further toward the ENFP's versus the INFP's. True, I definitely can see the moral high ground thing we can sometimes have, but for the most part INFP's are too aware of their own flaws and hypocrisy to accept the idea that they are morally superior in any way to other. We have our narcissistic tendencies, but with every episode of that comes the opposite of being the scum of the world.

Ironically enough INFP's also can be extremely dispassionate and neutral toward others and their passions/ideals. As INFP's mature they begin to lean more and more into the world of our mirrored comrades, the ESTJ's. Basically, we start having more Te-logic input and learning to accept things objectively rather than always letting our emotions carry us. Our Te tends to develop pretty early, even though we may not realize it until it's pointed out.

So basically I don't see ISTP's having much conflict with INFP's unless they meet the younger ones or unhealthy ones. One of the two closest friends I have is an ISTP and we get along extremely well. And the other ISTP friend I have(who I'm less aquatinted with) I talk with on Skype a lot and we seem to do perfectly fine with little to no conflict. Interestingly enough, he usual out talks my Te which I find to be an amazing feat. So in my experiences with ISTP's I've had few conflicts and enjoyed their company more so than a lot of the other personality types I've befriended.

Hope I could clear up any misconceptions, if not I'd be happy to explain further.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Oh man, I clash with the INFPs I know... It's never a "all in good fun" type way either. It's a fundamental, almost primal, division of views, ethics, morals, and just about everything in between.

·
Banned
279 Posts
I don't mind ISTP's. I do find my ISTP friends have an overly simplistic world view. I like exploring the bigger picture; they call it an unpractical waste of time. Eugh.
By the way, why are ISTP's so averse to theories? Is it because you haven't been able to bridge the gap between a theory and its practical purposes?

·
Registered
isxp cp684
1,706 Posts
even though I'm an Fi-dom, I'm very shrewd and find myself fitting in with ISTPs better than other FPs.
that being said, I argue a ton with high-Ne users.
I'm very interested in actually doing something in my life; talking is great, but I'm all about taking action and making goals a reality in the ways that I can. That's fundamental Se, doing something to do something without worrying about the consequences or even the bigger picture--even though my tert function is Ni. And that's where the whole goal-setting comes in.

It seems like Ne-users prefer to think through problems rather than act. And since Si is tertiary for you guys, a lot of the time I notice things...happen. like every single Ne-Si user I've known aside from Si-doms have attempted to keep their exes in their lives somehow. they try keeping them as friends, and it goes awry; but they have trouble letting them go. Or they are deeply impacted by their past experiences in a way that I'm not.

I have no trouble with Ti-doms. I love Ti-doms. but I seem to run into trouble with many NTPs, NFPs, and SJs.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't mind ISTP's. I do find my ISTP friends have an overly simplistic world view. I like exploring the bigger picture; they call it an unpractical waste of time. Eugh.
By the way, why are ISTP's so averse to theories? Is it because you haven't been able to bridge the gap between a theory and its practical purposes?
We arn't comfy with theories because of our mechanical nature. We're very grounded, technical, and hands on kind of people; we like to see exactly where the input is going in and what the output is. Theories are the exact opposite of that. Theories are, for a lack of a better term, Guess-work. You can make an educated guess that if you do x: y or z will happen, but we like tangible results, so they arn't most practical. How does that age old adage go? "There's a difference between Theory and Reality".

Actually, we do theorize alot, but not in the same way you do. You may theorize about larger things like Aliens, Utopia, or whatever it is you types theorize about. ISTP's are renowned for their trial-and-error methodology, which has a lot of theory going into it. First we will theorize how we should build one of our latest contraptions. If it doesn't work, we will use information from previous test to theorize a different method. Once it's built and something breaks, we theorize about how it could be fixed and then test it out.

Reactions: Ik3

·
Registered
isxp cp684
1,706 Posts
Probably how NTPs are to you similar to how I/E NFPs are for us. Except for INTPs because you love Ti-doms.
upon reflection there was actually an INTP in my life that totally screwed me over--haha so my history with them isn't perfect. I just like seeing Ti in action.

·
Banned
279 Posts
We arn't comfy with theories because of our mechanical nature. We're very grounded, technical, and hands on kind of people; we like to see exactly where the input is going in and what the output is. Theories are the exact opposite of that. Theories are, for a lack of a better term, Guess-work. You can make an educated guess that if you do x: y or z will happen, but we like tangible results, so they arn't most practical. How does that age old adage go? "There's a difference between Theory and Reality".

Actually, we do theorize alot, but not in the same way you do. You may theorize about larger things like Aliens, Utopia, or whatever it is you types theorize about. ISTP's are renowned for their trial-and-error methodology, which has a lot of theory going into it. First we will theorize how we should build one of our latest contraptions. If it doesn't work, we will use information from previous test to theorize a different method. Once it's built and something breaks, we theorize about how it could be fixed and then test it out.
I can understand why you think "theory" and "guess" mean the same thing, but it just isn't true. A theory is more like a very general system that has been proved beyond reasonable doubt. A guess doesn't even come close to this standard. Whats more, theories wield incredible power when innovating and creating new technologies. THIS is their practical ends; innovation!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I try to stay away from negativity, but that said the one xNFP guy I know was a complete dbag about stuff. It wasn't from any resistance on my part, I'm a 'Come as you are' type person. He was a more: 'I think this so you should think this' as well. Ultimately I try not to dive into politics and religion with friends - but he pressed the issue and tried to pressure me. He felt he was morally superior in his viewpoint, irregardless of my own personal beliefs.

Since he pressured me, he woke up my sleeping bear. And well, the bear mauled.

I just saw through his entire argument, I basically pointed out an inconsistency in his belief in church and his lifestyle (which was the subject and not a deflection). He wanted to have a certain "lifestyle" but if someone has that "belief" and tries to get other people to do it, they /shouldn't/ be partaking in that "lifestyle". It wasn't that I cared about it, I was planning on doing "lifestyle", even participated in it myself - probably led him further down the rabbit hole infact. The issue is that whenever people do have "belief" and try to act morally superior for their "belief", it's a huge glaring contradiction to me.

So the "debate" lasted a few minutes, and I shut it down so he didn't have a leg to stand on. And when he did: "You're being emotional Vacious" was his whole response. No rebuttal response to it :)

Of course, that's just an example of the contradiction(s) that makeup him. The guy is a liar, user, moocher, and not a man of integrity and honor though he tries to portray himself as such. I don't make time for him and I have no time for a friend like that anymore.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So the "debate" lasted a few minutes, and I shut it down so he didn't have a leg to stand on. And when he did: "You're being emotional Vacious" was his whole response. No rebuttal response to it :)
"Of course this has to come from the emotional guy. I should have known." would be my answer if I were there. Or some other way to point out their hypocrisy.

In fact, my way of arguing with people who present those types of argument would be to use their argument against themselves.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why I dislike talking about theory is due to the fact that someone would read an article or two and all of sudden see them self as an expert; I really do find that those who don’t use their Ti to really look deep into whatever they are theorizing about they are just really are reciting someone else’s work and/or lightly touching the subject hardly making what they are theorizing about practical in any way or having an overall point to. ISTP’s do theorize a lot, they are likely to dig very deep, but perhaps not as wide, they are passionate, and usually do very well in what they love, due to a deep understanding.

·
Registered
384 Posts
"Of course this has to come from the emotional guy. I should have known." would be my answer if I were there. Or some other way to point out their hypocrisy.

In fact, my way of arguing with people who present those types of argument would be to use their argument against themselves.
I was pretty much smirking and saying.. "I'm emotional..? You're the one wanting to stop bud." Like I said, I'm not the best of guy all the time and I'm well aware of my own assholish tendancies. He wasn't, he just thought I was a nice quiet guy who'd meekly follow him.

I don't want to derail the thread too much though with my problems with that INFP in particular. He's a terrible example, he was also off his meds that day and had just quit his job - no really, he told me that earlier in the day. There's also more contradictions in his own moral beliefs and the way he treats people.

He's an outlier, not a representative of an INFP. But yeah, things went bad with him.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Really really being serious I like INFPS I do. A lot!

That said what I am going to say always has seemed to be a barrier for me vs them in general speaking is that, they seem to have a huge moral high ground. We seem to be more creatures of principle. I have had an extremely hard time taking in how some seem to mistake their own kind and well intentions in some sort of maybe higher continuity of character. Um it ticks me off when those things get pulled out, there sometimes seems to be a dilution involved with well intention and well meant heart as more merit in values.

Ok so even today I had a debate with my ENFP friend (so INFP cousin). She was speaking so passionately about the movie Black Fish, she was soooooooo emotionally invested in her argument and well intention she seemed to be not listening to a fucking thing I was saying, she was only hearing what she wanted to. i.e. So she went to post the link to FB, on freeing all the Whales, I said well I am not sure that I think its good to put Whales that are in captivity back into the wild. She was so invested in her feelings on that matter she started to talk about people that really care seem to feel different (WTF), I said I am not condoning the catch and captivity of wild animals that are not endangered. I am not promoting mating them further based on the living conditions. I am saying you don't take a declawed kitty and stick it by an alley cat. She with no argument outside passion just talked about how they could survive being freed (could, yes but I think given they have been born and lived in captivity its like dropping them off in the jungle, thats cruel as well) Now my point was not to debate who was wrong or right it was to try and demonstrate the difference in how one views things and sees opinions around them. She kept dismissing anything I was saying and impulsively posted that link. She was emotionally impacted by a 30 second promo activist group. I was not saying I agree or disagree I was telling her the downside and why its important not to get so emotionally involved. Then she started to appeal her emotions in a way that was to explain she was some how defining herself as a higher value of compassion (well thats debatable because getting emotional is not the same as having emotion or further more compassion).

The morality/higher value trump card often used irritates the hell out of me. NFP seem to not understand that just because everyone does not get as emotionally compelled as them does not mean they don't care. People have different ways of caring and different causes. I might not be a sucker for a 30 sec you tube activist promo, but I am very effective in trying to make the world a better place.

Did I explain from my perception some of my problem with it the interaction and the differences. That whole entire interaction her and I had was a face off of Fi vs Ti.
I had a back and forth with an ENFP friend about how I thought being overweight was unhealthy. She replied with "being extremely thin is unhealthy and you look like you're just hating on fat people by only mentioning them." I'm paraphrasing but that's the gist. One thing I don't like and have low tolerance for is when people try to make me look like the bad guy. NFP have a special ability in doing that once you disagree with them on some morally based opinion. It's just common sense that being overweight is generally unhealthy. My response to her saying that was that while yes it is true that being extremely thin is unhealthy, I was not talking about that atm. I was only talking about the overweight issue. Further more my statement was pertaining to the everyone should love the way they look comments I see getting thrown around on the internet all the time. Of course be confident in how you look, but that doesn't change the fact that being overweight can lead to various health problems. It's not something I made up to be an ass, it's a fact. That's why anorexia wasn't even on my mind at that moment. I only see the love the way you look defense for heavier people so I was focused solely on that.

I don't have a good outlook on INFPs to answer OPs question. The ones I've come across have been victim playing, moral high horse riding, crybabies. It's not fun to be around at all. Fi-Ne just rubs me the wrong way and there's never a click with NFPs unless we're talking about something we're both interested in. I can get along with anyone as long as we have similar interests. But once a serious topic comes up that you disagree with Fi on then that's where it all goes to the shitter. There's no such thing as a difference of opinion to Fi. It's you're wrong and are an assclown for disagreeing with me. I hate that crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.