Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read online on this site about Istps and Intps being the best friend duo but my story turned out to be very different.
I was friends with an INTP for 6 years, and for a majority of the friendship I didn't get along with her. I have confrontation issues so I never got to break the friendship off, and ghosting her never helped because she'd get mad if I didn't respond to her and she'd say something to instigate me like "you're real mature you know" so that I would reply to her. As the years went on I started to ignore the negatives about her (the constant bickering/arguing, the nagging about how I should be this way not that, her trying to control parts of my life etc) and just focus on the positives. Truth is she really cared about our friendship. She would always ask how I was she was, she knew more about me than a lot of people did and as an ISTP that's an achievement on its own. But the thing is, as an ISTP I honestly never wanted a friendship where I was tied down to this one person and I could only be true friends with her. It was really irksome that the person tying me down was someone that would constantly nag me and make up for it by being nice the other 40% of the time. Long story short, our friendship got so toxic I would get stressed seeing a message she'd send, and for a year my confidence went down the drain 'cause of her. When I tried to end it she didn't take it well. She got very aggresive (verbally) and then begged me to stay probably something related to her Si but it made me really uncomfortable because it seemed as though she took this friendship as a relationship from the start, which explained a lot of the things she did perhaps. Now that she's out of my life she's completely content on her Snapchat and posts snaps all the time (photos of her cats, funny quotes etc), which seems so different from our last talk. Do INTPs do this? Do they get over things really well like ISTPs do? Despite me wanting her out of my life it did affect me to a great deal so i didnt understand how someone with Si would be so indifferent. Is this how INTPs deal with something drastic?
I've read that intps are generally cynical (i don't know enough of them to say) so will her cynicism make her more aggressive towards me? My Ni keeps telling me im gonna wake up a few months from now with a gianormous message as a means to get payback, and I'm freaking out

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sounds like she was attached to you because she doesn't have any other friends I'm guessing. Your lack of directness probably got under her skin as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
INTPs are prone to not understand feelings and relationships very well, some people calling them robots. Also they sometimes argue or say stuff they don’t really mean because they don’t understand it’s bad until later since they’re more ‘go with the flow’ type of people. However the person you’re talking about here seems to be very intense and she might be INTP but there are definitely other issues there that she’s needs to resolve that might be a cause of her personality but she has taken it overboard. Most INTPs I know, like myself, are very chill so your friends a weird case since she seems a bit obsessive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts