Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would a relationship between these two similar types be like?

Last night my girl told me that she thinks she is an ISTP, not an ISTJ. It makes perfect sense, especially the following:

The ISTP's decision making process is entirely internal, so they don't feel much need to share their opinions with others. When they are interacting with others, they are in "information gathering" mode, so they tend to ask questions rather than share views. The ISTP just doesn't feel the need to expose themselves fully to others.
When it comes to intimate relationships, the ISTP has the further motivation of protecting themselves. Most ISTPs are afraid of having to deal with their deeper feelings. Since their Thinking preference dominates their personality, their Feeling side is their least developed (inferior) function. Consequently, ISTPs are usually quite vulnerable and perhaps weak when dealing with their feelings. Their habit of keeping part of themselves hidden may also serve the purpose of keeping a protective wall around their hearts.

Source.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
There is a topic on this here. Everything you said goes equally for INTP since they are both ruled by Ti and Ne and Se can look-a-like in some ISTPs. However the two have great differences in their core temperament values and their interaction styles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
first things first: Do you like her? Do you trust her?
if yes, then fuck anyone's opinion with a big rubber dick

objectively, based only on personality types, ISTPs tend to be flighty and I, personally, would be very suspicious if I was with someone who's whims changed on a daily basis. I am perfectly secure with myself and who I am but I am not under the delusion that some yahoo with a great car and chisled jaw isn't going to make a lot of women wet and I don't trust my well guarded inner sanctum to someone who I cannot trust completely.

of course anyone from any type can have their own set of standards and you just have to get to know someone before you fall for them. My opinion is only rooted in the type description and cannot account for who a specific person is.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first things first: Do you like her? Do you trust her?
if yes, then fuck anyone's opinion with a big rubber dick

objectively, based only on personality types, ISTPs tend to be flighty and I, personally, would be very suspicious if I was with someone who's whims changed on a daily basis. I am perfectly secure with myself and who I am but I am not under the delusion that some yahoo with a great car and chisled jaw isn't going to make a lot of women wet and I don't trust my well guarded inner sanctum to someone who I cannot trust completely.

of course anyone from any type can have their own set of standards and you just have to get to know someone before you fall for them. My opinion is only rooted in the type description and cannot account for who a specific person is.
Of course I love her and trust her. I'm not asking for approval - I'm just interested in type dynamics. :happy:
We are both very faithful and fidelity is not an issue whatsoever.
Yeah, typing doesn't really work on her. She is very complex and I love getting to know her. :laughing:

·
Registered
12 Posts
How's it going?

My husband is an ISTP and I'm an INTP. We have been together for ... 15 years ... had to think about that... now I feel old! Anyway, it definitely has its challenges but any relationship does.

Communication is probably the biggest issue since we are both thinkers... the ISTP holds back his feelings and needs a LOT of personal space. Under stress, all those pent up emotions explode!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, she needs a lot of space and time, but hey, that is healthy. :happy:

I will not force communication on her and I trust that she will tell me when she is ready. The hands-off approach is the best with an ISTP.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My husband is ISTP and I am INTP. It works well, most of the time. He is in the military and I do very well with being alone, he is the one who doesn't like being alone.

We have been together since December 5, 1988.

We have had issues and it hasn't been perfect. Though, it has been somewhat ideal, considering we have survived major challenges and have proven we can survive anything.

Though, I am sick of defending him to others. I'm about to start telling others to "f" off...

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Though, I am sick of defending him to others. I'm about to start telling others to "f" off...
What's this issue? You brought up a few things earlier about everyone always thinking he's a troublemaker that got my attention, because I suffer from the same thing.

Also I had a question: my brother is an INTP. He's great, but getting him off his ass to go do something fun outdoors is harder than licking my own ass. Are you the same way and if so do you think this could cause some friction in your own relationship?

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
What would a relationship between these two similar types be like?

Last night my girl told me that she thinks she is an ISTP, not an ISTJ. It makes perfect sense, especially the following:

The ISTP's decision making process is entirely internal, so they don't feel much need to share their opinions with others. When they are interacting with others, they are in "information gathering" mode, so they tend to ask questions rather than share views. The ISTP just doesn't feel the need to expose themselves fully to others.
When it comes to intimate relationships, the ISTP has the further motivation of protecting themselves. Most ISTPs are afraid of having to deal with their deeper feelings. Since their Thinking preference dominates their personality, their Feeling side is their least developed (inferior) function. Consequently, ISTPs are usually quite vulnerable and perhaps weak when dealing with their feelings. Their habit of keeping part of themselves hidden may also serve the purpose of keeping a protective wall around their hearts.

Source.

Jesus Christ, this is accurate.

·
Registered
912 Posts
ISTP gets to be the cool onlooker

INTP gets to be the guy who forgot to zip his pants up

INTJ gets to be the intelligence agent/right arm of the dark force
Aww, not always.

INTP gets to be the guy who regularly attends Renaissance Faires in full medieval garb and can tell you exactly how his chainmail is constructed. (At least that's what makes the INTP I know different from my ISTP).

·
Registered
560 Posts
The ISTP/INTP dynamic is pretty easy-going, especially one-on-one. I appreciate a lot of what makes up INTP nature. For instance, they seem to naturally respect my privacy, as opposed to pushing for information from me and then understanding I'm private. And sharing that dom Ti/inferior Fe is kind of like a breath of fresh air. I don't have to explain my personality/behavior/motives as much as I normally do with other types.

However, after dating an INTP for 3 years, I've decided that in general, the INTP/ISTP romantic relationship isn't for me. I prefer more differences in my partner, otherwise I have a tendency to get bored. But since INTP ex is actually my best friend now, I defintitely think INTP/ISTP friendships are awesome.

Any kind of disconnect I have with an INTP tend to be enneagram related... I think. A few of the INTPs I've come across in the past have an incessant need for approval, and it comes across as arrogant or bragging. Not all. Just some. That may not be enneagram at all, I dunno.

·
Registered
715 Posts
INTP gets to be the guy who regularly attends Renaissance Faires in full medieval garb and can tell you exactly how his chainmail is constructed.
that's pretty much true for every reenactor … at least for every one i know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The ISTP/INTP dynamic is pretty easy-going, especially one-on-one. I appreciate a lot of what makes up INTP nature. For instance, they seem to naturally respect my privacy, as opposed to pushing for information from me and then understanding I'm private. And sharing that dom Ti/inferior Fe is kind of like a breath of fresh air. I don't have to explain my personality/behavior/motives as much as I normally do with other types.

However, after dating an INTP for 3 years, I've decided that in general, the INTP/ISTP romantic relationship isn't for me. I prefer more differences in my partner, otherwise I have a tendency to get bored. But since INTP ex is actually my best friend now, I defintitely think INTP/ISTP friendships are awesome.

Any kind of disconnect I have with an INTP tend to be enneagram related... I think. A few of the INTPs I've come across in the past have an incessant need for approval, and it comes across as arrogant or bragging. Not all. Just some. That may not be enneagram at all, I dunno.
hello, i am the ex.
The relationship was comfortable. We'd just sit around and play video games next to each other. I think when stress was high, we couldn't adequately support each other. Offering Ti support to a Ti person is, at best, pointless and, at worst, lead to an argument over Ti'ness.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have an okay friendship with my three ISTP relatives. I can hang out with them and feel satisfied. However, we aren't close. Here's why I don't get a long with them.

First one- I sometimes thinks he doesn't like me because I'm an intuitive
Second one- I think he's too stupid and moronic.
Three- I think he's too secretive and doesn't want to hang out even for an Introvert and ISTP. He doesn't like reading books and horrible at writing. This is important because he has the emotional intelligence perception of a slug.:frustrating: I think he's psychopathic. However, the definition of
psychopathic is violet social behavior. His social behavior isn't violet but incredibly apathetic. Oh yeah, I found the right words...schizoid.

One of my closet friends is an ISTP and I have a satisfying relationship with him and I feel at ease. However, I'm least closest to my ISTP cousins.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Well I see most pairings of ISTP/INTP as unlikely in romantic relationships, as I do think the big barrier would be the whole concrete vs theory. But depending on age, maturity, emotional intelligence of the two I can see it being possible if its an ISTP that can also like to tap into their theory side more then standard, and an INTP that can be more grounded/practical so to say, then the 'norm'.

When I mistook myself as an INTP originally and was in that section I realized there was a basic stereotyping going on both directions. A few more extreme ones (not the older mature users) did imply I was a 'dense' sensor as I was equally always trying to reign back in conversations that I thought took just ridiculous asinine turns. And I basically just started to have the basic consensus of WHY? to most of the stuff they were mulling over. Not all, some conversations were pretty neat. I liked a lot of their thread topics and such. But sometimes it felt more like a room full of stoners just as much as intuitives seem to imply that being in a room full of a sensors is dull/dense. So I would just imagine the relationship would struggle on a medium unless it was mature people and a common middle ground could be met. I like some theory and abstract enough that I mistyped as an INTP but my lil sample was boggling. I again just didn't get the reason or purpose or motivating factor in half the things that occupied their mind. "Ok well while you think of how to put the fire out with a magic time machine in space continuum, I am going to go get a pail of water and physically put it out"

Aside from that I think the relationship would heavily struggle with both the shared I/P omg, unless one of their ennegrams was more dutiful or outgoing it would be like the blind leading the deaf as far as complimenting each other and bringing out each others best.

I bet the Ti/Ti with perceiving and Fe would attract and could maybe in a mature situation make up for the other differences. Both INTP/ISTP are pretty objective and would probably like that in each other.

I am guessing that ISTP may have to refine themselves a bit and polish their wording to be taken serious. And an INTP would have to be able to be down to earth and not come off pretentious or callous. ISTP can come off like unpolished/unrefined, uncivilized, (I think a lot of intuitives think of a meathead stereotype, un articulate based on choices in expression (that not mincing words bluntness) enraged lunatics. While INTPs can come off like awkward intellectual elitists at times.

·
Registered
213 Posts
INTP and Se

Also I had a question: my brother is an INTP. He's great, but getting him off his ass to go do something fun outdoors is harder than licking my own ass.
INTP here. Outdoors and fun do not belong in the same sentence. Se is INTPs' 7th function, so it is rarely fun. Sometimes, though, with a really relaxed INTP, you can just about manage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my case, friendship with ISTP is a waste of time. You activate our curiosity to max because of your Ni secrecy but than right around the corner greet us with that Se fist. And drama-queeness that you secretly spread like a plague.. seriously, stop.
seriously!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts