Personality Cafe banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
INTP here. Outdoors and fun do not belong in the same sentence. Se is INTPs' 7th function, so it is rarely fun. Sometimes, though, with a really relaxed INTP, you can just about manage.
Baloney. I'm a nature/animal nut and like camping. Just keep the hiking manageable.

In my case, friendship with ISTP is a waste of time. You activate our curiosity to max because of your Ni secrecy but than right around the corner greet us with that Se fist. And drama-queeness that you secretly spread like a plague.. seriously, stop.
seriously!
Your wording/tone are quite drama-queenish actually.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
I had a really good ISTP friend in high school. If we'd had more compatible lifestyles - and I know some ISTPs who do - we might have dated or something.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
What would a relationship between these two similar types be like?

Last night my girl told me that she thinks she is an ISTP, not an ISTJ. It makes perfect sense, especially the following:

The ISTP's decision making process is entirely internal, so they don't feel much need to share their opinions with others. When they are interacting with others, they are in "information gathering" mode, so they tend to ask questions rather than share views. The ISTP just doesn't feel the need to expose themselves fully to others.
When it comes to intimate relationships, the ISTP has the further motivation of protecting themselves. Most ISTPs are afraid of having to deal with their deeper feelings. Since their Thinking preference dominates their personality, their Feeling side is their least developed (inferior) function. Consequently, ISTPs are usually quite vulnerable and perhaps weak when dealing with their feelings. Their habit of keeping part of themselves hidden may also serve the purpose of keeping a protective wall around their hearts.

Source.
This made me question my INTPness xD

And drama-queeness that you secretly spread like a plague.. seriously, stop.
seriously!
Lol'd so hard at that. This phrasing made my day!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My husband is ISTP and I am INTP. It works well, most of the time. He is in the military and I do very well with being alone, he is the one who doesn't like being alone.

We have been together since December 5, 1988.

We have had issues and it hasn't been perfect. Though, it has been somewhat ideal, considering we have survived major challenges and have proven we can survive anything.

Though, I am sick of defending him to others. I'm about to start telling others to "f" off...
How is the romantic relationship? Considering your inferior feeling sides, how do you guys manage that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What would a relationship between these two similar types be like?

Last night my girl told me that she thinks she is an ISTP, not an ISTJ. It makes perfect sense, especially the following:

The ISTP's decision making process is entirely internal, so they don't feel much need to share their opinions with others. When they are interacting with others, they are in "information gathering" mode, so they tend to ask questions rather than share views. The ISTP just doesn't feel the need to expose themselves fully to others.
When it comes to intimate relationships, the ISTP has the further motivation of protecting themselves. Most ISTPs are afraid of having to deal with their deeper feelings. Since their Thinking preference dominates their personality, their Feeling side is their least developed (inferior) function. Consequently, ISTPs are usually quite vulnerable and perhaps weak when dealing with their feelings. Their habit of keeping part of themselves hidden may also serve the purpose of keeping a protective wall around their hearts.

Source.
My current bf and I are ISTP and INTP respectively. Or so I think since I'm no MBTI expert.

He has this whole ungodly reservedness, non-commital attitude and stresses a lot over the single thought of our relationship being something formal. Even though I know he loves me and is faithful, he just cannot help feeling stuck with formalisation.

Our main issue is miscommunication. Me, being the INTP that I am, amb constantly in search for the reasons of others' behaviours. My bf's paranoia towards our commitment was driving me mad and making me feel terribly insecure. My thought was that if he didn't want a traditional relationship it must have been because he didn't love me. What other reason could I hope for? It's also my very first relationship, and any other references I had were the oh-so-perfect movie romances.

I communicated this to him, yet did not recieve a clear response. I was feeling dreadful that I was just a fling to him.

That's until we discovered he was an ISTP. His poor communication skills had been what had caused our miscummunication when we first talked it out.

It had gone dissastrously as it had been building up since the beginning. I felt clueless, and he felt restrained. Just the worst thing that can happen to an INTP and ISTP.

Discovering his type was liberating. As an INTP now I know what to expect and how to behave. It had been my feeling of being left in the dark that had made me so paranoid and, consequently, so intrusive for him. Also, now that ee are aware of the issue, we are working on improving his communicating skills. And it's getting all better.

I wouldn't say that ISTPs and INTPs cannot date. Just have a few things in common, proper communication and daily renewal of your love's spark and you'll be good as apples. At least in terms of compatibility.

PS: Sorry for the language mistakes!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts