Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I come bearing my battle of four years: am I an ISTP or an ISTJ?

I've learnt from flitting about and lurking in these forums that these types are overall quite different. When I have formally done the test, I score as an ISTJ. The J is not strong (although I answered exclusively for S, apparently), but it is what came out on top. I chose to disagree with this and self-identified as an ISTP for two years -- until yesterday.

I love lists, and hate it when other people aren't prepared. I memorise maps, and can still name every country on earth and their capitols just because I had some spare time a few years ago and thought it would be fun to learn. I get very saddened when my expectations for how a day will play out aren't met (unless I discipline myself to not have expectations), and usually need warning when something is changing without my consent. I know there is a right, perfect way to do most things and do not like settling for less than perfection. I am a professional musician/producer, have spent time in accounting, and more time in leading small community development teams to eastern Europe.

Yet -- I do not like the thought of settling down. I want to be travelling always, I get itchy feet and want to see the world. When I'm hired as a studio musician, I will record a guitar lead over a song I've heard only once in my life and it will be perfect. I'm great off the cuff if we get lost in a city we've never been to, and am energised by leading people somewhere when it all seems at a loss. I get a great buzz from winging something and seeing it go well -- but is that maybe only in my own skill sets? I hate seeing people wing something I know they are bad at, and I hate being right when it blows up in their faces. Isn't it common sense to communicate and prepare? And then also prepare for the worst case scenario?

I am very good at organising, but my personal life can be messy. Efficiency is a love language for me. Shopping should be walking into a store, getting what you need, and leaving. Planning for the future should be assessing pros and cons, and making a decision, and committing to it. (I say these as bold and unyielding truths from my perspective, and I know they are not universal truths for people ;) )

What are the differences you have observed between the two types, if I may be so demanding? It isn't life or death that I know, but I am genuinely curious! Is there anything you can perceive from what I've written?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have found it helpful when typing to refer to the inferior function which manifests during stress.

ISTJs have inferior Ne which leads to the following behaviors:

• Loss of control over facts and details
• Impulsiveness
Catastrophizing (all ISTJ's do this!)

ISTPs have inferior Fe which lead to the following behaviors:

• Logic emphasized to an extreme
• Hypersensitivity to relationships
• Emotionalism

You can read more here: Socionics - the16types.info - MBTI: Form of the Inferior Function

·
Registered
14 Posts
Emotionalism? I assume that's as a research methodology. I'm pretty emotionless as I rely heavily on logic.

OP: As a former ISTJ (and before that, an INTJ as a kid), you're probably walking the line right now. Each individual is the sum of how their brain works and your environment. Anyone who says that external stimulus (society, culture, stress) doesn't play a part is assuming that people are not social creatures.

You sound more like an ISTJ. I know I shifted to ISTP when my world/lifestyle view changed.

For me, the tipping point was: do I believe in freedom of action or do I believe in social order? Do I really ENJOY/BELIEVE in organization innately or do I just find it useful? Do I like commitment or do I prefer flexibility?

My life experiences, and my decisions based off of them, shaped my philosophy and my actions today.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Hello! I come bearing my battle of four years: am I an ISTP or an ISTJ?

I've learnt from flitting about and lurking in these forums that these types are overall quite different. When I have formally done the test, I score as an ISTJ. The J is not strong (although I answered exclusively for S, apparently), but it is what came out on top. I chose to disagree with this and self-identified as an ISTP for two years -- until yesterday.

I love lists, and hate it when other people aren't prepared. I memorise maps, and can still name every country on earth and their capitols just because I had some spare time a few years ago and thought it would be fun to learn. I get very saddened when my expectations for how a day will play out aren't met (unless I discipline myself to not have expectations), and usually need warning when something is changing without my consent. I know there is a right, perfect way to do most things and do not like settling for less than perfection. I am a professional musician/producer, have spent time in accounting, and more time in leading small community development teams to eastern Europe.

Yet -- I do not like the thought of settling down. I want to be travelling always, I get itchy feet and want to see the world. When I'm hired as a studio musician, I will record a guitar lead over a song I've heard only once in my life and it will be perfect. I'm great off the cuff if we get lost in a city we've never been to, and am energised by leading people somewhere when it all seems at a loss. I get a great buzz from winging something and seeing it go well -- but is that maybe only in my own skill sets? I hate seeing people wing something I know they are bad at, and I hate being right when it blows up in their faces. Isn't it common sense to communicate and prepare? And then also prepare for the worst case scenario?

I am very good at organising, but my personal life can be messy. Efficiency is a love language for me. Shopping should be walking into a store, getting what you need, and leaving. Planning for the future should be assessing pros and cons, and making a decision, and committing to it. (I say these as bold and unyielding truths from my perspective, and I know they are not universal truths for people ;) )

What are the differences you have observed between the two types, if I may be so demanding? It isn't life or death that I know, but I am genuinely curious! Is there anything you can perceive from what I've written?
Do you know what the cognitive functions are?
Please post the results of this these tests: Jungian Cognitive Function Quiz
Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

(you shouldn't take the result too seriously though, it's merely a pointer in the right direction)

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
1) Different tests are biased in different ways, so I would recommend taking at least 2-3 different ones at least 2-3 different times each

2)
The J is not strong
That's the impression I got from the read-through. Humans are not binary, we are continuous, so if you scored 52% Judging / 48% Perceiving or something like that, then saying "neutral" (IST-) is actually more informative than just saying one or the other (ISTP vs ISTJ)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.