Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! So, I started to learn a bit about socionics and have been typed, on various Socionics sites by different people, as a LII, INTP in MBTI terms.
I can see it in myself, but I think I have some defining traits typical for the MBTI ISTP type, so I'm having a hard time defining myself on it...
Could it be possible that there are some inconsistencies between my socionics type and my MBTI?
I don't know how to help you guys defining myself, would you mind to ask me some questions and try to reach a conclusion? (p.s on the cogintivetypes test that differentiated between ISTP and INTP, I had a large percentage on ISTP, like 64% over INTP 36%, I don't know if it's useful in some way)
And yeah, my enneagram is probably 9w8
Thanks a lot

·
Banned
375 Posts
Option 1: Look at the bottom functions and see whether ISTP or INTP bundles sound more familiar to you.

ISTP, auxilliary (Se): As an auxiliary function, Se manifests as the desire to experience and experiment with the sensory aspects that the user has determined to be the most enjoyable or useful.
The auxiliary-Se monologue: “I want to go live out the experiences that I have determined to be the best or most enjoyable and see what happens as a result.”

ISTP, tertiary (Ni): As a tertiary function, Ni manifests as the desire to optimize or perfect upon one’s pre-existing talents or skills.
The tertiary-Ni monologue: “How can I improve upon – or even perfect – the approach that I regularly take toward my main passion or interest?”

INTP, auxiliary (Ne): Auxiliary Ne manifests as a plethora of possibilities that arise to support or expand upon a thought or decision that the user has come to.
The auxiliary-Ne monologue: “I see a million different ways to look at the concept I’ve been analyzing and I want to consider them all.”

INTP, tertiary (Si): As a tertiary function, introverted sensing manifests as a proneness to nostalgia, as well as a method of contrasting the new and exciting with the old and the known.
The tertiary-Si monologue:“I will examine how my new experience or theory sizes up against my past experiences or way of understanding the world.”

Option 2: Learn about Model A in Socionics

socioniko.net/en/1.1.types/model-a.html

Every type has 8 squares. Each square is a function. Each function is occupied by an aspect.
For example, the aspect of INTP's leading function is Ti, aspect of creative function is Ne, etc.

You can read up on each function, but also check this resource to see how each aspects manifests itself depending on its position in Model A: the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/193-Aspects-in-the-Valued-Functions-Dmitry-Golihov

My belief is that you cannot have different types in MBTI and Socionics. Rather it is that MBTI is less detailed and less accurate in determining the correct type.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the reply @Mez that was pretty clear cut, I would say prob INTP, I'm not very constant in my approach to things, I prefer switching between different hobbies and activities, but, once I set on something, I want to set on that definitely...
The thing is, that INTPs I personally know are too abstract and not concrete in things and ideas, while for me , if something doesn't have a practical or useful approach to something, I definitely won't consider it too much...
But the idea of considering different perspectives and contrast them with the experience I had resonates with me.
I'm pretty much realist and pragmatic, and I am a sucker for new experiences when I have the possibility, that's one of the motives that caused me a lot of doubts
But, unfortunately, I'd point myself to INTP, seems a better fit
Thanks for the explanation

·
Banned
375 Posts
Thanks guys for the reply @Mez that was pretty clear cut, I would say prob INTP, I'm not very constant in my approach to things, I prefer switching between different hobbies and activities, but, once I set on something, I want to set on that definitely...
The thing is, that INTPs I personally know are too abstract and not concrete in things and ideas, while for me , if something doesn't have a practical or useful approach to something, I definitely won't consider it too much...
But the idea of considering different perspectives and contrast them with the experience I had resonates with me.
I'm pretty much realist and pragmatic, and I am a sucker for new experiences when I have the possibility, that's one of the motives that caused me a lot of doubts
But, unfortunately, I'd point myself to INTP, seems a better fit
Thanks for the explanation
Well, it is still very possible that you're neither INTP nor ISTP.
It was you who set the boundaries, and told us to help you choose between 2 types only. However, just based on my personal experience, people can very often end up limiting their choice to the wrong options. Myself including.

I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong. I personally have no idea. I'm just telling you that it's best to keep in mind that the boundaries you've drawn for yourself within the 16 types could be mistaken.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Mez thanks again
Hmmm well, it's not that I set boundaries for myself, my judgement is more based on the evidence I collected around different sites, and a group of people that know quite well the personality system, and they were unanimously agreeing on me being an INTP, even if initially I thought I was something like xSFJ(and some people here on personalitycafe typed me SFJ xD)!
Since they are completely different people, I won't say the probability of being wrong is so high, it's more conceivable that I'm biased AF
Anyway, I'm still open to different perspectives :D

·
Banned
375 Posts
@Mez thanks again
Hmmm well, it's not that I set boundaries for myself, my judgement is more based on the evidence I collected around different sites, and a group of people that know quite well the personality system, and they were unanimously agreeing on me being an INTP, even if initially I thought I was something like xSFJ(and some people here on personalitycafe typed me SFJ xD)!
Since they are completely different people, I won't say the probability of being wrong is so high, it's more conceivable that I'm biased AF
Anyway, I'm still open to different perspectives :D
It would be good to first figure out if you're an intuitive or a sensor (an N or an S). This is quite difficult to do on forums or through conversation, but it, at least to me, appears very evident in real life. My observations have shown that intuitives by large find it difficult to maintain stable relationships with sensors. They are likely to very often clash in conflict or remain in the state of passive aggression with each other. It doesn't happen upon the first meeting, but shows after some weeks or months of interaction. This, again relative to my understanding, is caused by the fact that intuitives and sensors perceive the world in exactly opposite ways.

As an intuitive myself, 100% of all the people I have good and stable relationships with are also intuitives. Sustaining relationships with sensors proves to be a very difficult task for me, and I barely manage to pull it through only if there is a very important reason for me to keep that relationship alive.

So you should ask yourself, are most of your friends N or S types?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be good to first figure out if you're an intuitive or a sensor (an N or an S). This is quite difficult to do on forums or through conversation, but it, at least to me, appears very evident in real life. My observations have shown that intuitives by large find it difficult to maintain stable relationships with sensors. They are likely to very often clash in conflict or remain in the state of passive aggression with each other. It doesn't happen upon the first meeting, but shows after some weeks or months of interaction. This, again relative to my understanding, is caused by the fact that intuitives and sensors perceive the world in exactly opposite ways.

As an intuitive myself, 100% of all the people I have good and stable relationships with are also intuitives. Sustaining relationships with sensors proves to be a very difficult task for me, and I barely manage to pull it through only if there is a very important reason for me to keep that relationship alive.

So you should ask yourself, are most of your friends N or S types?
Interesting comparison! Sadly, I don't have many friends that know about MBTI system (here in Italy it's pretty rare to find people who knows in a detailed way of the theory, except when randomly taken the test on 16 personalities that is far from accurate, IME), so, the ones that actually had the patience to analyze it, are mostly iNtuitives friends, but, my best friend is an ISTJ, and we knew each other for many years, I see a lot of differences, but we have really similar approaches to things and points of view, while some of intuitives I know have really different points of view that I don't share, but I don't know about many other sensors to have a detailed pool of data to make confrontations...

About me, the thing I'm sure of is that I'm a Thinker, probably Introverted (even if I have clearly have extrovert behaviours IRL, but the focus is mostly internal I'd say), since I have a tendency to remain objective on things and, in some way, suppress my emotions and don't let them go wild, except in romantic relationships (and, for a while I thought I had a high Fi, but I have troubles to relate with high Fi users and to understand them sometimes, so, if I have it, should be tertiary or inferior), so, I'd say definitely thinker :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Either write the definition of "cool" you use (why you would refer to something as "cool"), or give examples of "cool" things with explanations of why they're "cool".
Ok I got it.
With "cool" I usually refer to boundary breaking things that has some twists in it (like in stories, movies, tv series and games) that manage to shed some new light on things.
I think a person is "cool" when he's not afraid of challenging authorities and has a general tendency to fight for revolutions in society.
"Cool" are also things or activities that gives me adrenaline rush or make me feel strong emotions when pushing barriers, but it's a differnt vibe of coolness.
Hope it was clear :D

·
Banned
375 Posts
About me, the thing I'm sure of is that I'm a Thinker, probably Introverted (even if I have clearly have extrovert behaviours IRL, but the focus is mostly internal I'd say), since I have a tendency to remain objective on things and, in some way, suppress my emotions and don't let them go wild, except in romantic relationships (and, for a while I thought I had a high Fi, but I have troubles to relate with high Fi users and to understand them sometimes, so, if I have it, should be tertiary or inferior), so, I'd say definitely thinker :p
Remaining objective and suppressing your emotions doesn't mean you're a Thinker.
Feelers can be very intelligent and insightful people. Feelers who have emotion as their auxiliary can also be guilty of suppressing emotions. That's when nature vs. nurture kicks in. We may be born with certain cognitive function orientation, but whatever happens in our life can cause us to misuse our functions.

What kind of subjects were you good at in school? What subjects did or will you want to pursue in university/college? What would be your dream job?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remaining objective and suppressing your emotions doesn't mean you're a Thinker.
Feelers can be very intelligent and insightful people. Feelers who have emotion as their auxiliary can also be guilty of suppressing emotions. That's when nature vs. nurture kicks in. We may be born with certain cognitive function orientation, but whatever happens in our life can cause us to misuse our functions.

What kind of subjects were you good at in school? What subjects did or will you want to pursue in university/college? What would be your dream job?
Interesting distinction between Nature and Nurture, I read it around somewhere!
Yeah, I know aux Fi does something like that, but, I don't know, with F seems to me sometimes we speak completely different languages, even if I love them anyway and they make me feel good.... Maybe something made me suoppress them a bit, not sure, never managed to understand how my mind work so far...

Anyway, about the subjects! My favorite subject at school, and also the one where I've been more proficient, was the science course (from astronomy to chemistry), I loved it and for a while I wanted to study geology or medical chemistry course, but I ended up studying law (with some difficulties so far) because I liked the idea of working in that sector (prosecutor, investigator, judge), but it's terrible to study for me, too abstract and dogmatic, without many examples...
During High school I liked pretty much physics and history/philosophy course, but never done them very well, I suck at math and don't like it at all... The other courses had some high and lows, not pretty much interesting.
As I said, my dream job would be prosecutor or detective, but i also would love to become a marine biologist, but for work reasons here in Italy and availability i didn't consider it as a possible university unfortunately.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi guys! So, I started to learn a bit about socionics and have been typed, on various Socionics sites by different people, as a LII, INTP in MBTI terms.
I can see it in myself, but I think I have some defining traits typical for the MBTI ISTP type, so I'm having a hard time defining myself on it...
Could it be possible that there are some inconsistencies between my socionics type and my MBTI?
I don't know how to help you guys defining myself, would you mind to ask me some questions and try to reach a conclusion? (p.s on the cogintivetypes test that differentiated between ISTP and INTP, I had a large percentage on ISTP, like 64% over INTP 36%, I don't know if it's useful in some way)
Thanks a lot
I struggled with these two types for the longest time until I understood the difference. As a kid, I typed ISTP. Later, as my Ni developed, I retyped as INTP, and then studied out the functions to death until I swung back over to ISTP. Now, the two types (especially in person) appear very different to me.

INTPs and ISTP both lead with Ti so both will focus in on patterns and connect dots. Some people think that's only Ne, but that is actually more of a Ti thing since a Ti's subjective logic is comparing every new piece of information against their current, internal database. The big thing you gotta focus on is Ne/Si vs Se/Ni.

INTPs with their Ne are usually very idea oriented. Coming up with random cool things that could be, that they may want to implement. They like to jump from idea to idea. The one I know in real life can't seem to finish anything unless there's a solid deadline. If he only partially completes by the deadline, he won't go back and fix it later. Drives everyone (including me) crazy. But he has a million ideas and starts on each. Some he sees through to completion. It just depends. Ne users tend to get very excited when they hear new ideas and will enjoy discussing these ideas. The practical value of the idea will matter little. Ne users will typically want to understand something conceptually before actually doing it.

ISTPs (with their Se) are driven to interact with their environment physically. If an idea isn't applicable, it's pointless so spending a bunch of time talking about it is also pointless. The Se/Ni will drive an ISTP to turn any ideas they might have into reality. One reason for this is that Se craves physical interaction, usually in part because they won't feel like they understand something until they've physically interacted with it. They tend to be very hands on, learning in action, so they're more prone to make their ideas tangible. Attempting to gain a conceptual understanding won't be enough. Whereas, a Ne user will gain that complete 'conceptual' understanding of it, and then possibly get bored and walk away from the project or might never even start on the project at all because it is no longer 'intuitively' stimulating.
Obviously, there are always extremes on either side, and either one can simply get bored and walk away. These are just general differences between the two types.
Remember, the base difference here is that the INTP wants to exercise intuition and the ISTP wants to exercise their senses.

Also, INTP's have Si so they're more likely to have a detail oriented memory. You know the stereotype of INTPs spouting a million pointless facts about any random subject that comes up? That stereotype is due to the role Si plays. They're more likely to have a detailed memory. An ISTP does not have Si. They'll notice details in the moment, but be less likely to remember them all later. They'll pull from Ni which is gut instincts and hunches to, for instance, explain why they're about to do something or maybe they're impression of someone. Of course, gut instincts and hunches are not mystical. They're simply a result of subconscious observation and impressionistic memory. (Because Ni will store away one's impression of an event, person, or object, whereas Si will store the details.) Once again, avoid extremes. ISTPs do have memories. Just pay attention to your general pattern, what people have observed about you, and etc. I as a whole have a less detailed memory and tend to state impressions of something which I then struggle to explain to my ISTJ husband because I truly don't remember how I came to this conclusion.

Andd that's all I got for the moment. I hope you find something useful.

Reactions: Jackobuss

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Hunter1611

Thanks for the replY!

Well, I'd say I definitely have those Ne tendencies to follow any idea that bumps in my mind and to abandon it when something more interesting pops out, BUT, I care a lot that my ideas,principles and theories I formulated could be in some way applied to reality, too much abstractism really doesn't mean very much for me (one major difference with my beloved ENTP friend, he said I kinda have a more pragmatic approach to things and issues), I don't know if it's just me or some others INTP have this approach.
That's one of the major doubts that struck my supposed INTPness; on the other hand, I care very much about details, but sometimes my memory plays bad tricks on me, but I have definitely an extensive use of it and I trust it a lot;
about the gut feelings, yeah, i experiment with those a lot, especially when sizing people up... I don't know if it means something xD
Anyway, I'm the issue here, your was a pretty coincise and interesting explanation, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well, I'd say I definitely have those Ne tendencies to follow any idea that bumps in my mind and to abandon it when something more interesting pops out, BUT, I care a lot that my ideas,principles and theories I formulated could be in some way applied to reality, too much abstractism really doesn't mean very much for me (one major difference with my beloved ENTP friend, he said I kinda have a more pragmatic approach to things and issues), I don't know if it's just me or some others INTP have this approach. Anyway, I'm the issue here, your was a pretty coincise and interesting explanation, thanks for sharing
You could easily be a relatively balanced INTP. Of course, ISTPs aren't above abandoning projects once they're bored. It is a generic P trait, after all. You mentioned earlier that people have typed you as SFJ before which is interesting, and kinda points back to INTP since both share all the same functions.
What really made me start considering that INTP didn't fit me was when I read a statement saying that an ISTP will always feel the need to deal with something hands on. I realized that when approaching a problem, people trying to explain it to me is worthless. I'm like "Just show me... I'll figure it out then." And whenever I teach, I don't do a bunch of explaining. I sit a person down in front of whatever it is, say "Do, this, now do that. Ok. You're done." I obviously throw in some explaining along the way but I make it all practical, hands on, this does this and that does that, kinda stuff. "Watch me, do what I say, and you'll learn".

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What really made me start considering that INTP didn't fit me was when I read a statement saying that an ISTP will always feel the need to deal with something hands on. I realized that when approaching a problem, people trying to explain it to me is worthless. I'm like "Just show me... I'll figure it out then." And whenever I teach, I don't do a bunch of explaining. I sit a person down in front of whatever it is, say "Do, this, now do that. Ok. You're done." I obviously throw in some explaining along the way but I make it all practical, hands on, this does this and that does that, kinda stuff. "Watch me, do what I say, and you'll learn".
Hey thanks again, this part is very interesting, I don't know if it's a common trait among you ISTP guys (i know no ISTP sadly IRL, I would have loved to be your type), but I defiitely like to teach and explain a lot when telling a concept, and I totally gave a preference to underline the principles and correlations behind the topic!
So, I definitely see myself in the INTP statement you wrote above! That's amazing, I didn't know a simple thing like this could have shed some light on my indecision :D
It was pretty useful, and yes, I agree on the thing about the functions of SFJ :)
That was an amazing insight, thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey thanks again, this part is very interesting, I don't know if it's a common trait among you ISTP guys (i know no ISTP sadly IRL, I would have loved to be your type), but I defiitely like to teach and explain a lot when telling a concept, and I totally gave a preference to underline the principles and correlations behind the topic!
So, I definitely see myself in the INTP statement you wrote above! That's amazing, I didn't know a simple thing like this could have shed some light on my indecision :D
It was pretty useful, and yes, I agree on the thing about the functions of SFJ :)
That was an amazing insight, thanks
My mother is an ISTP and she pretty much does the same things that I mentioned, but that's not saying too much since we're related. Of course, the INTP that I previously mentioned will go on long discussions that effectively turn into 'lectures'. Really challenges my attention span. I enjoy teaching, but my style is more focused on doing. I have an intern at work that I like to give minimal instruction to because my goal is to have her learn to figure things out herself so I don't have to hand hold. I explain where I feel is necessary, and whenever she asks questions, and generally just point her to google and the documentation. I'm like: "See how I do this? Now you go do. Bye. Have fun. Let me know if you run into any problems."
I think teaching style definitely says alot about a person.

But anyways, glad I could help! Enjoy your newfound INTP-ness. :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My mother is an ISTP and she pretty much does the same things that I mentioned, but that's not saying too much since we're related. Of course, the INTP that I previously mentioned will go on long discussions that effectively turn into 'lectures'. Really challenges my attention span. I enjoy teaching, but my style is more focused on doing. I have an intern at work that I like to give minimal instruction to because my goal is to have her learn to figure things out herself so I don't have to hand hold. I explain where I feel is necessary, and whenever she asks questions, and generally just point her to google and the documentation. I'm like: "See how I do this? Now you go do. Bye. Have fun. Let me know if you run into any problems."
I think teaching style definitely says alot about a person.

But anyways, glad I could help! Enjoy your newfound INTP-ness. :p
Ahaha thanks again for the help!
I'd love to meet ISTPs IRL, but you're kinda rare as a type! Thanks anyway for all the clarification you made and the time you took to follow my random rants, it was a pretty interesting conversation!
Best regards!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Thanks a lot
INFJ Type 9w1.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts