Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as ISTPs claim to be living their lives as hermits with a full plate, we somehow make the time to be friendly... occasionally. There are some people here that are always in the background, yet the situation has never presented itself to speak with whomever. There is probably something brewing beyond the username, but any inquiry would probably be met with a blunt one liner. Some people here do give the extra mile to socialize, most of us don't. So, in hopes of better relations -

What are your hopes and dreams, what drives you, what are your passions, what is your motivation in life, how are current events and otherwise how is you day going?

I'll get the ball rolling. I'm a freaking idiot for even making this. I must have been smoking something im[snip].

·
Registered
889 Posts
My day was going normally until just a few hours ago, when I was given a total mindfuck.

The quick version. My parents split when I was five and the last time I saw my biological father was when I was nine, I'm now 33, as he and his (then) girlfriend moved to Texas. My wife's been doing some genealogy stuff recently and found out that I have a brother and sister (23 and 21, respectively). Well, she found them tonight and she and my sister chatted on FaceBook for almost two hours...while I played Fallout 3 as my Ti went apeshit. I'll raise the bar and even get personal. Our father died of lung cancer in '99, so I'll never get to see him again. The last time I saw him he said he'd send me a plane ticket in a year or so. I never got that ticket and ever since I've pretty much hated him for abandoning me. It turns out that I was wrong. My sister said they tried to find me for several years before he died and weren't able to. It turns out that the reason why I never got that plane ticket was because my brother was born the year after they moved. Apparently they sent a birth announcement to me (at 10) and I didn't reply so they figured I wanted to be left alone. I feel like I was just trying to sell a Jedi a Death Stick and need to go rethink my life. Total mindfuck.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Apparently they sent a birth announcement to me (at 10) and I didn't reply so they figured I wanted to be left alone. I feel like I was just trying to sell a Jedi a Death Stick and need to go rethink my life. Total mindfuck.
I hope I'm not crossing a line here, but when does a 10 year old boy not want his father? That was such a baseless, shitty assumption. (I'm sorry. :unsure:) That's great about your newly found family, though.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I hope I'm not crossing a line here, but when does a 10 year old boy not want his father? That was such a baseless, shitty assumption. (I'm sorry. :unsure:) That's great about your newly found family, though.
The same page. We're on it. Even just two weeks a year, ya know? Granted, my mom did remarry and that man is who I know as "dad". But, still.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Socializing whats that?
Hes a WITCH!!! BURN HIM!! BURN HIM!!

Reactions: madhatter and AEIOU

·
Registered
126 Posts
So here's my deal...I am 29, my day job is working IT for a moderately prestigious organization. Since I've been into computers from day 1 and the bills are paid, I'm very happy with my job. The biggest thing for me is that I want to do everything and be everywhere and basically be "the man", but of course that's not realistically possible and over the past year or so learning more about myself, I've come to terms with my true personality and have become a lot more comfortable in my own skin. So right now I'm mapping out some new goals that are more in line with my personal strengths and tendencies. I'm reading a lot of nonfiction (across the entire spectrum) and basically looking for sources of factual information and inspiration which will lead me to work on more personal "projects", which if I'm lucky, might be innovative enough to solve even bigger challenges.

Today is going quite well so far...I've got a softball tournament game after work (I'm the captain/coach) and we have a really good shot at winning. I played ball for my church league last night (loosely affiliated) and lost in extra innings after I had a chance to win the game with the bases loaded and two outs. Sad face. Sports are a huge passion of mine...I'm best at baseball/softball but enjoy basketball and some other minor sports.

My username ZaRocks - Za is short for pizza and the Rocks part? Well, what can I say? Za Rocks! First time I actually used it was back in '99 when I used to send e-mail "blogs" to my high school friends. At some point I made a joke about having my own 800-number, 1-800-ZA-ROCKS (I never got the number but toyed around the idea here and there). Since the "name" was mostly unique I started using it for different venues.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Only two replies - GAH, what are we antisocial or something? :tongue:

I guess I'll spill.

Well... I'm 24. I was with my ex-husband since I was 18 and I just got divorced this summer. It was a really abusive relationship. I would have been far better off just sleeping straight through those 6 years.

So, I'm basically starting completely over right now, aside from being financially fucked.

For the longest time, my main motivation was just to make it through the day. Now that I know I will, I'm trying to figure out all the rest. I just want to do fun things and be happy. :happy:

I'm starting school next week. I'm pretty excited about that.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Only two replies - GAH, what are we antisocial or something? :tongue:

I guess I'll spill.

Well... I'm 24. I was with my ex-husband since I was 18 and I just got divorced this summer. It was a really abusive relationship. I would have been far better off just sleeping straight through those 6 years.

So, I'm basically starting completely over right now, aside from being financially fucked.

For the longest time, my main motivation was just to make it through the day. Now that I know I will, I'm trying to figure out all the rest. I just want to do fun things and be happy. :happy:

I'm starting school next week. I'm pretty excited about that.
Good for you for being smart enough to get out!

What are you studying?

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Good for you for being smart enough to get out!

What are you studying?
Accounting. It was an impulse decision, honestly. I'll know how well it fits soon enough.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Let's see...I'm 22. I've been working and going to school since I got out of high school. I haven't had much motivation or drive for anything, except living each day at a time, working a job that pays crap and not knowing really what I want to do with my life. I have been dissatisfied with my aimlessness, but didn't know what to do about it, except just keep plugging away. I felt like a robot.

Recently, a friend died, took his own life, and his death hit me hard. He was so young (my age), he had his whole life ahead of him, so much potential. I didn't see him much since we graduated, mostly because I was in my own little world. I can't get back those wasted opportunities, past or future. I finally woke up from my stupor and wondered what happened to four years of my life. The time we're given is so precious, and the hard truth is that you don't know it until it is gone.

So, my motivation is to actually live, not just exist...I want to truly experience life. So, while I'm still in the same crappy job, I'm no longer complacent with staying there. I'm actually writing a resume. I'm still in school (and will be another year or two), but I actually have a direction to go in: I've decided to go for a Bachelor's in Linguistics. I've been interested in Linguistics for years, but it's only been a hobby. I finally picked a major that will challenge me, give me enjoyment, and draw from my strengths. I'm also planning to travel to Europe in the near future, something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. And I've been in the process of breaking my self-imposed isolation, and actually try to make some friends or maintain the ones I have. For me, this is the hardest task of all (no surprise there).

So the past six months, I've been trying to climb my way out of the rut that I dug myself into. It's been a uphill struggle. I have many days of relapse. This summer I've been unemployed, but I re-start my crappy job of four years in a week, and I'm actually in a way happy and relieved...crap money is better than no money!

My day was lazy, but good. I stayed up till 8 in the morning reading a book. Stupid I know...I must have read the book 10 times already. I already know what's going to happen. But I get wrapped up in the moment of the story. Then I slept a few hours, woke up, and spent the rest of the day watching TV and finishing the book. Even had pizza with my brother--large square deep-dish with ham and bacon. :happy: The simple things of life...

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
So, my motivation is to actually live, not just exist...I want to truly experience life.
Hear, hear! :happy:

My day was lazy, but good. I stayed up till 8 in the morning reading a book. Stupid I know...I must have read the book 10 times already. I already know what's going to happen. But I get wrapped up in the moment of the story. Then I slept a few hours, woke up, and spent the rest of the day watching TV and finishing the book. Even had pizza with my brother--large square deep-dish with ham and bacon. :happy: The simple things of life...
Mmm... pizza. Gotta be one of my most favorite things ever.

What book?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
What book?
Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson, a stand-alone fantasy novel. It has a lot of politics and intrigue, well-rounded believable characters, witty dialogue, and magic, of course! It's funny, I love politics...just as long as it isn't real politics. That strikes too close to home, and I find my logical nature can get thrown out the window, which is always discomfiting for me. In fiction, I can enjoy the system objectively.

Now, I'm wondering what to read next: a stranger or an old friend.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson, a stand-alone fantasy novel. It has a lot of politics and intrigue, well-rounded believable characters, witty dialogue, and magic, of course! It's funny, I love politics...just as long as it isn't real politics. That strikes too close to home, and I find my logical nature can get thrown out the window, which is always discomfiting for me. In fiction, I can enjoy the system objectively.

Now, I'm wondering what to read next: a stranger or an old friend.
I love those kind of books. That one sounds like a really good read. And I feel the same way about politics.

Reactions: madhatter

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Socializing whats that?
Hes a WITCH!!! BURN HIM!! BURN HIM!!
'How do you know he is a witch?"
"He turned me into a newt!.......I got better."
"BURN HIM ANYWAY!"

Reactions: Galldune

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is going to be a useless post but...

For my own reasons I choose who I want to know about me...
My life was harder than most Americans these days.....and seeing people that have had easy lives makes me a little sick when they complain..about stupid crap....and I fought to where I am today. I've lost a lot of blood and tears....I have scars to prove it both mentally and physically.
and that's all I'm saying have fun....

"The past doesn't exist If you don't disclose it to anyone"

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
What are your hopes and dreams, what drives you, what are your passions, what is your motivation in life, how are current events and otherwise how is you day going?
I'm with Dune-- my introversion will not permit me to reveal such highly classified information.

I've found in the past that any time I remotely hint at anything personal about myself, there's always some über-prick waiting in the wings to tell me that I'm wrong for being the way I am, adding "here, let me tell you what your hopes and dreams SHOULD be..." I'm weary of it.

Some people here do give the extra mile to socialize, most of us don't.
Yeah, socializing isn't my thing at all. If I'm lucky enough to meet someone I like, I'm perfectly happy to admire that person from afar. It's enough to know they exist. And I don't regard socializing as an important survival skill, for me anyway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
"Bravery is nothing more than having the courage to face your fears." I truly believe that.

Accounting. It was an impulse decision, honestly. I'll know how well it fits soon enough.
I thought about accounting once but, that's as far as it got. :laughing:

Let's see...I'm 22. I've been working and going to school since I got out of high school. I haven't had much motivation or drive for anything, except living each day at a time, working a job that pays crap and not knowing really what I want to do with my life. I have been dissatisfied with my aimlessness, but didn't know what to do about it, except just keep plugging away. I felt like a robot.

Recently, a friend died, took his own life, and his death hit me hard. He was so young (my age), he had his whole life ahead of him, so much potential. I didn't see him much since we graduated, mostly because I was in my own little world. I can't get back those wasted opportunities, past or future. I finally woke up from my stupor and wondered what happened to four years of my life. The time we're given is so precious, and the hard truth is that you don't know it until it is gone.

So, my motivation is to actually live, not just exist...I want to truly experience life. So, while I'm still in the same crappy job, I'm no longer complacent with staying there. I'm actually writing a resume. I'm still in school (and will be another year or two), but I actually have a direction to go in: I've decided to go for a Bachelor's in Linguistics. I've been interested in Linguistics for years, but it's only been a hobby. I finally picked a major that will challenge me, give me enjoyment, and draw from my strengths. I'm also planning to travel to Europe in the near future, something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. And I've been in the process of breaking my self-imposed isolation, and actually try to make some friends or maintain the ones I have. For me, this is the hardest task of all (no surprise there).

So the past six months, I've been trying to climb my way out of the rut that I dug myself into. It's been a uphill struggle. I have many days of relapse. This summer I've been unemployed, but I re-start my crappy job of four years in a week, and I'm actually in a way happy and relieved...crap money is better than no money!

Have you thought about the military for linguistics and travel?

Good for you for climbing out of the rut. It's a very difficult struggle and I'm currently climbing out of another one of mine.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Have you thought about the military for linguistics and travel?
It's a trap!...don't do it your to far in to make it worth it!!!!

"Bravery is nothing more than having the courage to face your fears." I truly believe that.
Bravery is for fools that lack any sense of their own mortality, or skill level.
I'll never do things because I'm brave...I'll do things because I KNOW I CAN WIN

And I only Fear the reaper....but I'll still spit in his face every chance I get.....:angry: *rage*

Ive learned in life that "Victory is but a prelude to the next battle." "Steel yourself against the coming of the storm."

1 - 20 of 73 Posts