Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just pondering wouldnt ISTP be good gamblers? (like poker or texas holdem) I play alot of texas and made a buncha money online and against friends. Few things why they would enjoy and be good at gambling:
1. Sensing ( I observe the table im on and try to break down what kind of player they are and watch them closely to see if they make any wierd gestures that could be a sign of bluffing: bluffing usually comes from there hands and the way they talk)
2. Introvert thinking ( they dont talk much so its hard to get a tell off them and in there minds there thinking what possible hands you may have and i almost never let feelings get in the way of my decision. they can trash talk me all they want but it wont make me change the way i think of what hand they might have)
3. Gambling= adrenaline rush ( alot of ISTP like exciting stuff and grabbing a good hand is exciting also bluffing gives u a pretty big adrenaline rush )
4. Percievers (Playing cards can be very random, there are many situations where things dont go the way u planned. Instead of getting upset I usually am fine about the new situation and take in the new set of cards and collaborate how I will now play the hand.)

Any ISTP also gamble? im curious to see if other ISTP have had success in gambling as I have. If ur not an ISTP and had success in gambling please im curious to see how ur personality type might do well in gambling as well. thxs =]

EDIT:

im not trying to get other ISTP to gamble. i say dont do it actually! it gets stressful =p. just wondering if other ISTP have had some success in gambling.

EDIT 02:

haha scratch this post. just found out theres only 2 istpers on these forums. and i think it would be hard to find a gambler out of a pool of 2 people=p. and yea istper's are rare ive met only 1 person in my life that i thought was an istper. and we are like best friends now... well we were until we both went to seperate colleges. i think istp people get along really well together.

EDIT 03:

we both gambled too, religiously and my friend was a really good gambler too. we decked out our rooms with all of our winnings. we both stopped though because took up too much time, was stressful and u get bs'd alot.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I'm actually decent at Texas Hold-Em. I do fake tells occasionally and I've actually gotten a friend to fold with a terrible bluff (I asked him, "Two aces are good, right?" and bet when he said yes.). I've also been told that I'd have a great poker face.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think ISTPs and ESTPs would be the most likely types to engage in gambling. Personally, I've enjoyed my fair share of risky betting but I wouldn't say I'm good at it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm an INTP, but gambling doesn't seem like an ISTP thing.

I have a friend who gambles and really enjoys it, and he seems to be an ESTx. He seems to do it primarily to have tall tales to tell, e.g. he won or lost $500 last week in an intense gambling session where he was up/down $500 at one point, and then he/someone bluffed and he called it/folded.

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
I love playing hold em and spend just about everyday playing online atleast a couple hours. Seems like it would fit right into the ISTP type.

Introverted Thinking (Ti) - we dont show much expression outward keeping within ourselves, can make hard to read and we may even be able to control which 'tells' we express outward to throw opponents off. Also can analyze the betting patterns and card possibilities

Extraverted Sensing (Se) - Very aware of surroundings and pick up on behavorial patterns of others. Go with the flow and live for the moment, can be very exhilirating when we pull off that big bluff or suck somebody into our trap. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

Introverted Intuition (Ni) - Can see how things may play out such as if somebody might call/raise/fold to you. If only we could just see into the future to see which cards are coming up next :p

Extraverted Feeling (Fe) - Can get to know people and how they feel so we can adjust our game for exploitation all the while making them think we're on their side (Ti running the show mostly, Fe is real weak but still there enough to come through)

First post here, nice to find a site where others actually like to think :)

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
192 Posts
I gamble on-line. When 2002 hit my friends were inviting me to house games when I was in town from Sac and I would clean up. Buy-in for $5 and leave with 150+ regularly. It all went downhill for me when I started reading books, as to figure out why I was winning so easy and regularly. My profits went completely downhill and I soon started leaving only with 15-20 bucks a night. I personally feel that Full Tilt Poker hates my guts as I rountinely will get 5:1 on my money in an hour period and billed up a solid stack then right when I'm in a massive pot going for the kill I always get sucked out on after all the money has gone in the middle. Freaking story of my life on Fill Tilt. I guess I should stick to tournament play. I also got annoyed with Full Tilt after it took a month to pull some of my profits out, so after that I completely withdrew everything I had in the account. Recently I just started playing again though. My problem with playing live is that I win, I got out and party and celebrate and don't keep an acutally poker bankroll...that's one of the main reasons why playing on-line appeals to me...its harder to touch it.

·
Banned
87 Posts
I'm not a fan of gambling because I don't like losing money, but I DO love playing card games for fun. =] I love the feeling of winning. And I might gamble a little bit (a very small amount of money) if I ever got the chance just to try it out.

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Theres a big difference between gambling and playing poker tho. Poker is more skill/patience not like roullette, blackjack, or other games where youre playing against the 'house' and need a lot more luck to win.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I like playing BlackJack, but I treat it like a game/fun activity and never bet more than I mind losing. I like the combination of skill and luck. I'm too emotional to be a good Poker player, but it's fun to play with friends.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I was just pondering wouldnt ISTP be good gamblers? (like poker or texas holdem) I play alot of texas and made a buncha money online and against friends. Few things why they would enjoy and be good at gambling:
1. Sensing ( I observe the table im on and try to break down what kind of player they are and watch them closely to see if they make any wierd gestures that could be a sign of bluffing: bluffing usually comes from there hands and the way they talk)
2. Introvert thinking ( they dont talk much so its hard to get a tell off them and in there minds there thinking what possible hands you may have and i almost never let feelings get in the way of my decision. they can trash talk me all they want but it wont make me change the way i think of what hand they might have)
3. Gambling= adrenaline rush ( alot of ISTP like exciting stuff and grabbing a good hand is exciting also bluffing gives u a pretty big adrenaline rush )
4. Percievers (Playing cards can be very random, there are many situations where things dont go the way u planned. Instead of getting upset I usually am fine about the new situation and take in the new set of cards and collaborate how I will now play the hand.)

Any ISTP also gamble? im curious to see if other ISTP have had success in gambling as I have. If ur not an ISTP and had success in gambling please im curious to see how ur personality type might do well in gambling as well. thxs =]

EDIT:

im not trying to get other ISTP to gamble. i say dont do it actually! it gets stressful =p. just wondering if other ISTP have had some success in gambling.

EDIT 02:

haha scratch this post. just found out theres only 2 istpers on these forums. and i think it would be hard to find a gambler out of a pool of 2 people=p. and yea istper's are rare ive met only 1 person in my life that i thought was an istper. and we are like best friends now... well we were until we both went to seperate colleges. i think istp people get along really well together.

EDIT 03:

we both gambled too, religiously and my friend was a really good gambler too. we decked out our rooms with all of our winnings. we both stopped though because took up too much time, was stressful and u get bs'd alot.
ISTP's can be good at gambling yea .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts