Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently unsure about my career path and am wondering what other ISTPs do. I have read many different lists of suggested careers for ISTPs, but I think hearing about what actual people are doing would be helpful.

I have a BS in mechanical engineering and have been working in private industry.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Junior at the Naval academy, working my way up to pilot. What I actually end up flying won't necessarily be my choice. Lot of hard work, pain in the ass to go through, but according to other people I'll end up having fun.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sailboat captain & web developer - an unlikely mix I know, but there you have it.

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DJ - Do you have the possibility of being deployed to war by training at the Naval Academy? I am considering taking flight lessons to test my interest in being a pilot, but I'd probably do it the private route because I don't want to commit to working for the military for any time at all. On the other hand it is much more expensive to do it privately and you probably get to fly some pretty cool planes w/ the military... what kind of planes do you fly?

Abuwabu - That sounds like a really nice balance. How do you become a sailboat captain? What do you like and dislike about it? I think I'd enjoy sailing, and I do enjoy computer programming but it's not exciting enough by itself for me to make it a full time job...Do you travel a lot?

Is there a significant presence of women in commercial aviation or the boating industry?

Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to hearing from others.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm a public school band director and a private music teacher. I am a landscaper and play gigs on the side.

Constantly day dream about flying planes and operating heavy equipment.

Fulfill cravings with hobbies. I refurbish antique hand tools for my unplugged wood shop. Ride bikes. Go backpacking.

Any job I've had for a long period of time has driven me nuts.

Keep getting stuck in grass is greener thoughts with my career choices. I'm always thinking about other things I could do. Very hard for me to settle into one thing.

The thought of doing one thing in one place for thirty years makes me want to bang my head on the wall.

Reactions: sagacity

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
DJ - Do you have the possibility of being deployed to war by training at the Naval Academy? I am considering taking flight lessons to test my interest in being a pilot, but I'd probably do it the private route because I don't want to commit to working for the military for any time at all. On the other hand it is much more expensive to do it privately and you probably get to fly some pretty cool planes w/ the military... what kind of planes do you fly?...

...Is there a significant presence of women in commercial aviation or the boating industry? ...
Being deployed to war? After I graduate, yes; sorta. I'll be on an aircraft carrier stationed in the Mediterranean where I'll drop bombs on bad countries that can't shoot me down, and then I'll land on the carrier where I'll sleep. Aircraft carriers are surrounded by defensive ships, so you're pretty well guarded too. I haven't heard of a carrier getting attacked recently.

As for testing your interest, you could try searching for a tandem hang glide, or a glider plane port. Or if you know someone with a crop duster you could make good friends with them.

The type of airplane you fly depends on how much work you put into it. As a military pilot I have the possibility of flying F35's, which are pretty sick. If I wanted to, I could push toward the astronaut community as well. I'm pretty lazy though, so I'll probably get stuck with a helicopter, which is still fun to fly. Navy planes include: F-18's, E/A-6b, H-60's, and eventually F-35's.

If you want to fly, its going to take some work regardless which route you choose. The option requiring the least amount of work would probably be becoming a hang gliding instructor: no license required, all on you, learns like riding a bike.

As for women, there are plenty of flight attendants, I guess. If you're a commercial pilot, you're still gonna have ladies fall to your feet. Maybe not as much as a fighter pilot, but you'll get some none the less. There are plenty of female pilots too.

ISTP's are usually good pilots because of their hand-eye coordination, and I've heard flight instructors mention things like "it always seems like the quiet self-confident ones that do the best in flight school"... sound familiar?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Man, the naval Academy sounds like it would be pretty rad. I mean all the military stuff must not be too fun. I have always had a fascination with the military and know tons of useless facts about it. But it is an unemotional environment and you must get to take some pretty cool courses. Plus, now that you are an upperclassman it is probably a little better.

Have you had a chance to fly yet?

Every time I see an airplane my mind is instantly in a better place. The ingenuity of man that created it and the thought of operating it is amazing. Who cares what aircraft you end up in, it's still awesome.

One of my favorite thoughts is that if you get to fly a plane alone, you are actually out of this world.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Man, the naval Academy sounds like it would be pretty rad. I mean all the military stuff must not be too fun. I have always had a fascination with the military and know tons of useless facts about it. But it is an unemotional environment and you must get to take some pretty cool courses. Plus, now that you are an upperclassman it is probably a little better.

Have you had a chance to fly yet?

Every time I see an airplane my mind is instantly in a better place. The ingenuity of man that created it and the thought of operating it is amazing. Who cares what aircraft you end up in, it's still awesome.

One of my favorite thoughts is that if you get to fly a plane alone, you are actually out of this world.
Well, I hate to break it to ya, but its completely different from what it looks like on the outside. In one word, Politics. Chances are my words are being monitored by the IT department as I type this, so I'm not going to write anything talking down the Academy (please spare my life, Ward Hall!). But there tend to be a lot of judgers here. As for emotionless, yeah definitely true; not always good, any complaining about your life sorta causes people to say "quit bitching" and stuff like that. No one wants to hear it. There is a completely different atmosphere over here than at home with my own friends; its the judgers (XXXJ's). God bless em, but they're always throwing criticisms to everyone else about how people should act; no one accepts anyone for who they are. There is a saying here, "perception is reality." My whole life I've sorta gone by the perceiver's rule of "Don't judge a book by its cover" but apparently no one here has ever heard that phrase. So its not really a "chill" atmosphere like I have with my "perceiver" friends back home. The structure and order and dealing with judgemental people is the biggest problem most ISTP's here face. Almost every ISTP I've seen here tends to get chastized for stuff like "not being social enough", "uncommitted", "selfish", "arrogant", "inept" because people simply can't fathom that our facial muscles don't work, so we appear pissed off all the time. In truth, the non-ISTP's are all the ones who are going to be shot in the face once the bullets start flying because they didn't have our keen crisis adaptation skills. They're all jealous of how secretly awesome we are.

The actual military classes are lame as hell, sorry (going to become a pilot? Too bad, you still have to learn oceanic navigation)... but yes there are some great engineering and science opportunities, and you can work alongside some very knowledgeable professors (one of them is working on a theory that only Steven Hawking can understand).

I've flown pretty much everything except a jet or helo. 5 intro flights: Hang glider, 3x sail plane, Cessna, t-34 (almost like an updated ww2 mustang, pretty sweet).

What I've learned here, is that doing what is FUN is most important, because it doesn't matter. Most people come here ready to get their butts kicked and work hard for their degree... but they also learn just how pointless it is to have a hard/high paying job when you can actually have a fun one.

Escaping from reality is one of my favorite hobbies! I daydream about staying aboard the space station looking down at earth, walking on the surface of venus, hang gliding by myself across the country under a purple sunset... I don't know if that's a typical ISTP thing, but I definitely do it.

If you want to fly, you'll have to put forth some modicum of effort regardless which path you choose, as holds true with most things in life.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I work as a cook right now. I worked as a bartender for seven years before that - the money is too good - but such an energy draining industry. I'm going to school currently for motorcycle mechanics.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I work as a cook right now. I worked as a bartender for seven years before that - the money is too good - but such an energy draining industry. I'm going to school currently for motorcycle mechanics.
You were a bar tender? The money was good? What did you think? I was contemplating that as well, maybe opening something on a boardwalk at some resort one day.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd highly suggest bartending in a non-corporate atmosphere. If you have no experience it's easy to train and they're forgiving about making mistakes. Also, you usually get to drink with your patrons. Never a bad thing. Just gotta know your limits because you're there to make money after all. Corporate places are so restrictive. I never lasted long.

If you are thinking of opening a bar or restaurant that's a whole different ballgame and headache.

·
Registered
3 Posts
temporariliy unemployed

Hey all. This is my first time posting here. Hell, this is my first time posting to any forum. This is a good topic for me because I am trying to figure out what to do with my life now. In the past I've been a carpenter, an electronic technician, and a real estate appraiser. Didn't much carefor the appraiser thing as for one, it didn't require the use of tools(I love using tools no matter what they are! from sledgehammer to oscilloscope, you name it). But, Im getting abit older now and a disability gets in the way of doing anything much physical anymore, although I still do some mountain biking. I just cant stand for long periods, so I need an istp job that allows me to sit. I like to program computers but I read such negative stuff on the boards about that field(outsourcing, age discrimination, etc.) and I'm not sure that I want to be continually playing catch up with technology at my age. Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
temporariliy unemployed

Hey all. This is my first time posting here. Hell, this is my first time posting to any forum. This is a good topic for me because I am trying to figure out what to do with my life now. In the past I've been a carpenter, an electronic technician, and a real estate appraiser. Didn't much carefor the appraiser thing as for one, it didn't require the use of tools(I love using tools no matter what they are! from sledgehammer to oscilloscope, you name it). But, Im getting abit older now and a disability gets in the way of doing anything much physical anymore, although I still do some mountain biking. I just cant stand for long periods, so I need an istp job that allows me to sit. I like to program computers but I read such negative stuff on the boards about that field(outsourcing, age discrimination, etc.) and I'm not sure that I want to be continually playing catch up with technology at my age. Any ideas?:confused:

·
MOTM Aug 2010
1,412 Posts
I'm a nutritionist at a start-up health club. My main interests are sports nutrition and strength and conditioning.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I love mountain biking :happy:

That's a tough request. Have you thought about teaching? Shop or something like that? You'd get to sit most of the time and still be around tools and use them. Police dispatcher? 911 operator? They get good benefits and you're still "connected" to some amount of action.

·
Registered
547 Posts
well surprise, I have a B.S. in mechanical engineering too. I hate it though, it was so boring. I worked for an automotive company. Dull as sh*t.

I know they say we're good engineers but most engineering jobs are too boring for me. Right now I'm trying to decide what to do, I'm out of work and thinking about going back to school. Even though I would rather stab myself in the eyes then go back to school. sigh.

What's a girl to do??:laughing:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts