Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i'm a 18 year old female ISTP and I've been obsessed with a male ENFP for about 4 years now. I stopped talking to him 2 years ago. I was wondering if any other ISTP had this problem? He is the only person I cling to. I have really bad attachment issues with him, because I went through a schizophrenic episode with him. where i heard his voice inside my head and fell in love with my version of him. and no matter what i do, i think about him at least one time every few hours. and I just want it to stop, but I don't know how. I'm almost scared to let him go, because I'm so used to thinking about him all the time. just help! someone tell me how an ISTP gets over an ENFP! he's the only male ENFP i've been friends with. and oh, were we perfect. but my schizophrenia tore us apart. i just want to stop thinking about him. i don't know if anyone can help me. but i'm so scared, like if you've heard the quote "it takes one minute to like someone, an hour to love someone, and a lifetime to forget someone." I really hope that doesn't apply to me! GET HIM OUT OF ME!

·
Registered
420 Posts
:O ........I don't think the ENFP is the issue here.

As for your schizophrenia, unfortunately I have no answers for you, because that lies outside of what MBTI was made for. You should perhaps look into seeking a psychiatrist's or a professional's opinion on how to live and manage your schizophrenic tendencies.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Hello, i'm a 18 year old female ISTP and I've been obsessed with a male ENFP for about 4 years now. I stopped talking to him 2 years ago. I was wondering if any other ISTP had this problem? He is the only person I cling to. I have really bad attachment issues with him, because I went through a schizophrenic episode with him. where i heard his voice inside my head and fell in love with my version of him. and no matter what i do, i think about him at least one time every few hours. and I just want it to stop, but I don't know how. I'm almost scared to let him go, because I'm so used to thinking about him all the time. just help! someone tell me how an ISTP gets over an ENFP! he's the only male ENFP i've been friends with. and oh, were we perfect. but my schizophrenia tore us apart. i just want to stop thinking about him. i don't know if anyone can help me. but i'm so scared, like if you've heard the quote "it takes one minute to like someone, an hour to love someone, and a lifetime to forget someone." I really hope that doesn't apply to me! GET HIM OUT OF ME!
Are you sure that was schizophrenia? Did you get diagnosed by a professional?

There's so many people who misinterpret what that thing actually means.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, yes i was diagnosed..and let me tell you, from first hand experience, it's hell. and it ruins lives. it ruined my past 4 years, but i'm finally starting to recover. i just can't get him out of my life!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
haha, yes i was diagnosed..and let me tell you, from first hand experience, it's hell. and it ruins lives. it ruined my past 4 years, but i'm finally starting to recover. i just can't get him out of my life!
well uh..did you ask a psychologist too?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
You develop feelings for a guy aged 14... your schizophrenia capitalizes on that, creating his voice inside your head. It stubborn to get rid of because it invokes a feeling of love inside you, instating positive reinforcement each time it occurs.

As I'm not a trained professional, this falls outside my realm of expertise. Have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia? Yes. Are you hearing a voice in your head? Yes. Then you need to seek help, even if it's a false alarm.

Trying to get over him isn't going to work because it's likely your disorder is preventing you in the first place. Rule out that before going cold turkey on his ass.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you need to seek professional help and you need to let the idea of him go. I know how you feel, I don't suffer of schizophrenia but I have try for months to forget someone, even though I still think about that person everyday its not as intense as it use to be, the only difference is that I have been trying really hard to move on with my life and think that there is a good reason why that person is not in my life right now, you said that you are scare of letting him go and that's the problem that's why you can't stop thinking about him, you have to want to let him go otherwise he will be in your head and heart for as long as you allow it, it wont be easy to get him out and its going to take you some time but you have to want to let him go, you are clinging to the idea of him because it makes you happy but when you come back to reality its painful, has this person put his life on hold because of you? he probably hasn't so I advice you to try as hard as you can to go on with your life. you can't control what you feel but you can control your thoughts and if you change your thoughts you can make your feelings change. You are afraid and you probably feel trap like you cant move because what you feel is stopping you if that's the case I advice you to seek help and find someone that can help you accept things and move on and I say this because I myself had seek professional help and it has helped me a lot and it still helping me. If you want to start healing I advice you to stop wounding yourself. in my case i suffered a series of panic attacks because of the situation, I'm learning to confront my fears instead of flying away from them I'm also learning to control my thoughts and I'm learning to love myself, try to go out and mingle with people they don't have to be big groups one or two will do, going out with friends helps me to think about other things and others instead of obsessing about my thoughts, get out of your house and don't spend to much time alone which I know we ISTPS love but in your current state is not a good thing being alone with your thoughts for too long.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Continue with professional treatment.
Mental health takes time, and as long as you realize there's a behavior you don't want in your life, you can do something about it.
It's a good sign that you realize you're in love with your mental image of him. Having the sense to recognize there's a problem is a good.
First and foremost, treating the schizophrenia and getting support is the most important thing. Bit by bit getting healthy, eating right and well, resting, fresh air, and continuing with receiving professional help will eventually help you weed out this pattern in your life. Eventually you might start naturally thinking of him less. Obsessing about it is not necessary. Just do your best to be healthy each day and live the best you can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you need to seek professional help and you need to let the idea of him go. I know how you feel, I don't suffer of schizophrenia but I have try for months to forget someone, even though I still think about that person everyday its not as intense as it use to be, the only difference is that I have been trying really hard to move on with my life and think that there is a good reason why that person is not in my life right now, you said that you are scare of letting him go and that's the problem that's why you can't stop thinking about him, you have to want to let him go otherwise he will be in your head and heart for as long as you allow it, it wont be easy to get him out and its going to take you some time but you have to want to let him go, you are clinging to the idea of him because it makes you happy but when you come back to reality its painful, has this person put his life on hold because of you? he probably hasn't so I advice you to try as hard as you can to go on with your life. you can't control what you feel but you can control your thoughts and if you change your thoughts you can make your feelings change. You are afraid and you probably feel trap like you cant move because what you feel is stopping you if that's the case I advice you to seek help and find someone that can help you accept things and move on and I say this because I myself had seek professional help and it has helped me a lot and it still helping me. If you want to start healing I advice you to stop wounding yourself. in my case i suffered a series of panic attacks because of the situation, I'm learning to confront my fears instead of flying away from them I'm also learning to control my thoughts and I'm learning to love myself, try to go out and mingle with people they don't have to be big groups one or two will do, going out with friends helps me to think about other things and others instead of obsessing about my thoughts, get out of your house and don't spend to much time alone which I know we ISTPS love but in your current state is not a good thing being alone with your thoughts for too long.

thank you so much! really! like your advice was perfect. maybe because you're a fellow ISTP. but that really helped me. it's comforting knowing someone who's similar to me went through the same thing as me. (i'm sure there are thousands, even millions who are ISTPs and gone through it, but it's nice talking to someone who has) Thank you!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am kinda smack in the middle of this situation too. I don't have schizophrenia or anything either, but I can relate to the attachment issue.

The biggest thing is, you have a place right between your arms and between your ears that has room for one special person. Obviously you had that, but now that you don't, you are trying to fill that space with the memory of something good without something as good, or better, to fill the void.

As hard as it is for me to interact comfortably with people, I also know how difficult it is to get inside of me too. There are differing levels where people can get in with me, some never invest themselves beyond a casual acknowledgment, some get the exterior and approach no further. A few find a way in and to whom I am willing to give the open door treatment, but they don't quiiiiiite take advantage of it.

Then there is the rare occasion when one finally walks in settles there. And regardless of the amount of time they spend in there, as little as a few days, weeks, months... once that place becomes empty again, the interim seems damned near eternal before the next special person takes up residence.

When you've developed true feelings for someone, you construct an idea of that person from your experiences with them. It is hard to tear down that idea and clean out that space, especially if it was a relationship that ended amicably. And the idea of that person fits so comfortably in that space and thus your reluctance to void it again.

You have to get over the notion that thinking about them makes you happy or helps fill that void. That's your weaker introverted intuition function trying to compensate for lack of extraverted sensing. Quit trying to "troubleshoot" something that isn't there.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had it pretty bad for an ENFP guy for a few years too. It took quite some time, and though I don't think I suffered from any psychological issues you might have, I can relate to the feeling of wanting to "rid your mind" of that person. It felt debilitating to my mind and my body. It felt impossible to get over him for so long, but time heals all... or most.

I think I finally took a turn when I met my ENTP. I realized that for so long I was scared I would never find anyone else that had the traits that I admired so much in the ENFP. Logically, I knew that wasn't true. But I had to actually see it for it to really click into place, and that's when I started to let go of the ENFP. After enough time had passed to let go of the ENFP, I met up with him again to hang out (mostly for closure). I feel fortunate I was able to get off all of my previous feelings for him off my chest (he had no idea), and that really helped my closure. After that, we hung out a few more times as friend, and I was finally able to look at him as "just a cool guy" instead of the glorified image I had of him in my mind. Ah... it was such a relief. I hope you're able to get there too. Have faith in yourself, and therapy is a great tool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts