Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ISTP women here seem very cool and very bad ass at the same time. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever had the privilege of meeting one of you in real life.

I am actually incredibly impressed if there are any actual female mechanics here. Are any of you? Are you incredibly gifted when it comes to fixing things? What type of careers or hobbies do you have? I wish I was more technically skilled. If you are, how did you learn to be?

You must be fun and have a great sense of humor. You're posts tend to reflect that. Do things get to you very easy? Or are you mostly cool as a cucumber?

Aside from the obvious physical differences do you think there are any subtle differences between you and male ISTPs?

What kinds of things would you say your friends and family know you for?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm sure you've met an ISTP woman before. Ever met one of those butch lesbians that you expect knows about power tools and where is what at Home Depot? xD
I kept on applying to Home Depot more then once but I think I failed their personality test. I probably typed as too anti-social and aloof. I need to start just cheating their silly personality systems. :mellow:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
The ISTP women here seem very cool and very bad ass at the same time. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever had the privilege of meeting one of you in real life.

I am actually incredibly impressed if there are any actual female mechanics here. Are any of you? Are you incredibly gifted when it comes to fixing things? What type of careers or hobbies do you have? I wish I was more technically skilled. If you are, how did you learn to be?

You must be fun and have a great sense of humor. You're posts tend to reflect that. Do things get to you very easy? Or are you mostly cool as a cucumber?

Aside from the obvious physical differences do you think there are any subtle differences between you and male ISTPs?

Haha, no, I'm not actually a mechanic. But I do have the "magic" touch. I just observe the thing that needs fixing, pin point the problem, and go straight to the root. I could say I'm naturally talented (and to a degree I am), but really I learned it from being around my dad, who is also ISTP. He is very mechanically skilled, more so than I.

I'm going to school to get a degree in linguistics, which is basically the mechanics of language. My day job is an assistant at a daycare. You can guess, I'm only one of two T's in the entire place. It wasn't until I learned about type that I realized that the job is so mentally draining because I'm constantly forced to draw on my inferior Fe. My resume is in the works, but it's slow going. On the weekends, I tutor a high schooler for extra cash.

For fun, I read, watch TV and movies, listen to music, ride my bike, occasionally dabble on my keyboard and trumpet, draw sketches and other crafts, study many subjects--including personality type. It seems like I never have enough time to do the things I love or try new things I'm interested in, because I'm so busy with work and school.

I do have a temper, but it's the kind that runs quick and hot, and then it's out and sometimes can't remember why I was even angry or that it even happened. But then, I'll be completely unaffected by things that make other people furious. It really depends on the situation.

The only other ISTP I know is my dad, and I really couldn't tell you. Our differences have nothing to do with gender. I just think my Ni is stronger than his.

If my family were here, they would generally say I'm stubborn (in the worst kind of way). My INTJ brother would say that I'm crazy and that he would never want to get into a fist fight with me. My ISTJ sister would lament my fashion sense. My INFJ mom would talk you up for hours about how wonderful I am (don't listen to her...she's biased!), and my ISTP dad would grunt and say I don't know, leave me alone. My ENFP friend calls me a grouch constantly, often in the same breath of telling me that she loves me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To answer some of your questions in this post, I'm a Network Engineer for a major telecom company. I've been in this field for about 13 years, and most companies I've worked for I've been the only woman in my group, although the last few years we are seeing a few more starting to join the ranks. I've been married for 24 years, (yes) to a man, but I do love Home Depot and power tools. I hate shopping malls, but do more than my share of on-line shopping. For hobbies, I love mostly outdoor things, motorcycling, bicycling, canoeing, fishing, camping, hiking, snowboarding, gardening, travelling, scuba diving, etc. I volunteer with a building program, and I've learned to do HVAC. So two or three times a year my husband and I go to these projects for 3 or 4 days to help out.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I know 2 of them, and I think you can meet a lot more if you go to ski resorts. Its just this bored expression on their face that makes you want to ask, "You're at a ski resort, why so bored?" But if you look closer you can see a look of contentment.

Plus, almost every park ranger I've met on the trails was some IXTP.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Not a mechanic, but Auto Mech was my favorite elective in highschool :happy:. Yeah, I'm pretty good at fixing things, figuring out how things work... I wouldn't say I'm especially "gifted" but for me, it's not hard to deconstruct and reconstruct a problem (it's actually enjoyable), and that extends to home repairs, mechanical repairs, etc.

Career wise, I sort of got stuck in office work for a very long time, and I always hated it, but I was good at it as long as there were opportunities for me to get up and move. I've worked as office manager for construction and maintenance companies, and a custom machine builder, and you would normally find me in the shop or out in the field, rather than at my desk. I always felt I needed to be witnessing what they were doing, so I could understand what I was paying for or requisitioning or whatever. I also found clever ways to get the guys to let me work alongside them, and would always sign myself up for the environmental abatement classes, OSHA classes, forklift training, etc.

Now, I'm a photographer (self employed). I don't love it - turns out most of my time is spent in front of the computer, and dealing with taxes and client correspondence and crap like that. When I'm shooting, I'm pretty happy. Otherwise, this job sucks.

Nothing really gets to me - in fact, I don't know how many times I've said "I am impossible to offend" to people when they're trying to tell me something, give me advice, or worm their way around an issue. I just... can't be offended. I don't take much personally, and even if I do react strongly to something (rare), it's momentary rage that ends as quickly as it came on. I never linger long in any bad emotion.

Male vs female ISTPs: Hmmm... I don't know many ISTPs to begin with, other than my ex... he was even more aloof and less cognisant of peoples' feelings. I can be a bit steamroller-ish with peoples' feelings, but I do TRY to care for other people, and he just didn't - it was completely foreign to him. Any other differences are probably more nurture vs nature... my mother was INSANELY protective of me growing up, so I never did any of the daring things... and I still have some leftover issues because of that. I have the URGE to do incredibly daring things, but a part of my mind holds me back because my mother was so afraid I'd kill myself in the shower. I am, however, very good at rock climbing, and wish I lived closer to the mountains so I could hike and camp and climb. It's a seven hour drive to the nearest mountain for me. :sad:

My friends know me as the problem solver. I'm loyal to a very select few friends, I am usually 100% available to them when they need me, and I'm always ready to help them work through a problem - no matter what it is. They worry about me - they think I take too many risks, I don't plan for my future well enough, I'm flighty and irresponsible and alone. They see me as being impossibly strong, and I think they believe it will lead to a nervous breakdown or something. Understand, all of my closest friends are FJ's - they see my life as complete chaos, and wish I would tame it down and just settle into a routine. Strangely, I don't complain about my life at all, I just go with the flow - I think that makes them incredibly nervous.

My family? No clue. My mom saw me as her savior when I lived at home. I fixed everything, left highschool to work three jobs to pay all the bills, took care of all of the family needs.. it kept me busy, away from school, and the jobs were fun (pizza and grocery, mostly), so for a long time it never bothered me. When I left home, my mom was angry at me because she would have to get a job. I don't know if my mother ever really knew me very well. I know she thinks I'm going to hell because I've turned my back on Christianity. Beyond that? No idea.

My sister and I have a tenuous relationship. She vacillates between being superior to me, and looking up to me. I'm ten years older, and I left home when she was in middle school, so I think she has some issues of her own to work out with regard to me and our relationship. She sees me as being very strong, having great endurance, but she does not see me as loyal or dependable, and she probably wouldn't trust me as far as she could throw me. Everything I say, she interprets the worst way possible and forces me to explain myself.

I moved 2,000 miles away from my family for a reason.

Whew! That was LONG.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I'm sure you've met an ISTP woman before. Ever met one of those butch lesbians that you expect knows about power tools and where is what at Home Depot? xD
I kind of doubt all butch lesbians are ISTPs as I doubt all Female ISTPs are butch lesbians.
I've only known one confirmed ISTP female. She was very feminine, heterosexual, had been married, had children, dated men etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts

I'm not a mechanic but I do drive a truck. I'm trying to give it up since my bones can't take it. I mean I can change my own tire, change the oil in my car...basic stuff. My father insisted that I learn these things because in case of an emergency he wanted me to be prepared. I don't have much time for hobbies because
I have a husband and two small children. To be honest I don't really have a hobby...well I guess learning could be considered a hobby because once I learn how to do something I move on to something else.

I can fix pretty much anything I put my mind to...well if it interests me, or if someone doubts that I can. I guess being technically inclined came from an extreme need to know how something works and a need to fix it. This applies to anything from people to tires. If it's not broken I'm usually not interested.

No things really don't get to me that easily...but when something does I get mean. I don't like it when people interfere with my quiet time, tell me what to do, try to pull the wool over my eyes, won't shut up, get bossy, or act like a know it all. The good thing about my personality is that there is no guess work when I'm mad. My husband keeps a tally of infractions in his head then when he really gets pisses he'll rattle them all off. Me, you always know where you stand because I'll tell you right away. I don't get caught up with, "I don't want to be mean, or I don't want to hurt their feelings". I mean, of course I don't want to intentionally hurt people but there are things individuals need to know about themselves. If hurts then...sorry but it hurts me to keep it in.

I do tend to keep my cool in emergencies and bad situations. I am no good at calming people down or whatever I'm better at deciding what to do.

My friends and family would probably say that I am straight to the point, not one for mincing words, loyal, helpful, and generous. That's the good stuff. The bad stuff might be undependable, mean, and being too closed off. I don't see too much of a difference between male and female ISTP's.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I kept on applying to Home Depot more then once but I think I failed their personality test. I probably typed as too anti-social and aloof. I need to start just cheating their silly personality systems. :mellow:
Okay, this is why I cheat on those. I thought everyone did. In fact, I thought those tests were designed to see if I knew what they wanted. :unsure:

To answer some of your questions in this post, I'm a Network Engineer for a major telecom company. I've been in this field for about 13 years, and most companies I've worked for I've been the only woman in my group, although the last few years we are seeing a few more starting to join the ranks.
How freaking bad ass is that! That is awesome to hear. Did it ever bother you that you were the only woman?

I know 2 of them, and I think you can meet a lot more if you go to ski resorts. Its just this bored expression on their face that makes you want to ask, "You're at a ski resort, why so bored?" But if you look closer you can see a look of contentment.

Plus, almost every park ranger I've met on the trails was some IXTP.
So are ISTPs good with navigation as well? I know my ESTP father prides himself on knowing roads really well and knowing how to get anywhere. Is this the same with ISTPs? Is that Se or Ti? I notice he is not so orthodox in the way he goes about things.

Not a mechanic, but Auto Mech was my favorite elective in highschool :happy:. Yeah, I'm pretty good at fixing things, figuring out how things work... I wouldn't say I'm especially "gifted" but for me, it's not hard to deconstruct and reconstruct a problem (it's actually enjoyable), and that extends to home repairs, mechanical repairs, etc.
Why, why, WHY didn't I choose the same elective? Ugh, if I could go back. You do realize what an incredible example you set for other women and our daughters, right?

Career wise, I sort of got stuck in office work for a very long time, and I always hated it, but I was good at it as long as there were opportunities for me to get up and move. I've worked as office manager for construction and maintenance companies, and a custom machine builder, and you would normally find me in the shop or out in the field, rather than at my desk. I always felt I needed to be witnessing what they were doing, so I could understand what I was paying for or requisitioning or whatever. I also found clever ways to get the guys to let me work alongside them, and would always sign myself up for the environmental abatement classes, OSHA classes, forklift training, etc.
Yep, more bad assness.

My friends know me as the problem solver.
This must be Ti, right? It massages your brain to use it like using Ne massages mine. Do you like for it when people come to you for help solving a problem?

No things really don't get to me that easily...but when something does I get mean. I don't like it when people interfere with my quiet time, tell me what to do, try to pull the wool over my eyes, won't shut up, get bossy, or act like a know it all. The good thing about my personality is that there is no guess work when I'm mad. My husband keeps a tally of infractions in his head then when he really gets pisses he'll rattle them all off. Me, you always know where you stand because I'll tell you right away. I don't get caught up with, "I don't want to be mean, or I don't want to hurt their feelings". I mean, of course I don't want to intentionally hurt people but there are things individuals need to know about themselves. If hurts then...sorry but it hurts me to keep it in.
But honestly, this is a very healthy way to be. You can't be guilt manipulated and you won't get an ulcer. Being passive aggressive sucks. I would appreciate a partner telling me things right away. The "stuffing it" game leads to the demise of relationships.

I do tend to keep my cool in emergencies and bad situations. I am no good at calming people down or whatever I'm better at deciding what to do.
I think that statement is incredibly important for those around you to understand. Especially if they are feelers. Can you tell when someone is stressing themselves out because they are simply not solving the problem? Does it frustrate you? I think I was less stressed in life when I was dating an ISTP simply because no matter what happened or what I needed to do, there was a solution. I really was able to keep moving forward in my life because of his creative solutions to things.

For instance, 8 months ago my daughter ran away from me and wanted to live with her abusive dad. She is 13, an age where the court takes her decision into consideration. I didn't know how I was going to approach things but I wanted to fight for her. Many people told me it was a lost cause or losing battle. I wrote my ISTP ex who I knew always encouraged me to fight and not give up on my daughter when we were together. And sure enough, the ISTP wrote me back with an entire game plan and approach. He did tell me it would be difficult but that I could do it because I was a "rock star". Lol.

Today, I just had my last court hearing. I've won full legal and physical custody with my daughter and she and I are doing great. I hung on and followed the plan that the ISTP had given me. Usually a person like me gives up and crumbles and can't think in such a situation. But having someone who can think clearly has given me back my daughter and has probably saved her life.

My friends and family would probably say that I am straight to the point, not one for mincing words, loyal, helpful, and generous. That's the good stuff. The bad stuff might be undependable, mean, and being too closed off. I don't see too much of a difference between male and female ISTP's.
However, I would suggest the fact that most of the women have done or experimented in previously male dominated fields might make your cores a little stronger, no? I mean, you really defy traditional females stereo type. I just think that would lend itself to having a real strength of character.

I'm quite inspired by all your posts so far. Thank you so much. I would like to hear more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I'm at college at the moment studying law, history and English. English is starting to annoy me because I am good at analysing the texts but I keep thinking it'll never ever help in real life. When I leave I'm going to join the police. I'm very observant I always know what's going on around me especially outside. Its served me well. My dads an ISTP too so he mainly does the fixing but I usually work out how things work and how to fix them when he's not around. I enjoy learning new things at the moment its psychology,driving my scooter, watching tv just keeping busy. I'm incredibly loyal and caring to my close friends and family they know I'll have their back and be there to help if they need me. I usually only get quick bursts of anger when something gets in my way but they soon go but if I'm pushed too far by someone they're out of my life. I don't muck about I just get things done.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, have you given up on ISTP men? Changing teams?
Lol. Well the women are incredibly sexy. But right now I think I'm hero worshipping. I want to be an ISTP woman but be with an ISTP man. :happy:

·
Registered
547 Posts
These threads are really starting to give me a complex. I always end up wondering "what's wrong with me? Why aren't I more butch/outdoors-y/sporty/tomboy-ish??"

I'm a mechanical engineer but I actually find it a little boring, but I'm smart enough to do the job thank goodness. So far I think I am just good at predicting disaster and telling everyone how to avoid it.

Other than that I don't know. I hate exercise because it's so damn boring, and I don't like working out until I can't breathe and my legs are burning. hmmmm. I like cookies, cake, booze, cigarettes, chocolate, diet coke, coffee with lots of sugar and flavored cream ...eh.. I suppose I have an oral fixation. I guess it's shocking that I'm not overweight or close to having diabetes.

:happy:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Lol. Well the women are incredibly sexy. But right now I think I'm hero worshipping. I want to be an ISTP woman but be with an ISTP man. :happy:
Now that certainly would be the most ideal relationship right there. Nodding in mutual agreement and understanding all the time without ever having to undergo the stress of verbal communication. Basically be the lone wolf together with another lone one coincidentally taking the same route, or something to that effect.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Most of the guys in my friendship group don't think its sexy probably cos I undermine their masculinity :tongue: hehehe they don't like it if you beat them at a ps2 game you've never played or can work something they couldn't

1 - 20 of 101 Posts