Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Being an actual mechanic is one of the last careers that I would ever want to choose.
I do, however, enjoy taking things apart and seeing how they work, with a mechanical mindset.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I do as much maintenance to my Jeep as I can. As soon as you say "guess that's an electrical problem" it goes right to my mechanic. I have a lot of respect for the profession.

Reactions: Rainbow

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
guilty.... Love working on classic cars/trucks and tractors. I also do all of the work on my vehicles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do the upgrading and fixing of anything I own and like, I get actually get pissed off enough to show it for about eight seconds if anyone tries to do what I was going to do for me, but I go back to whatever mode right after.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My istp hubby is a mechanic but that isn't his profession (he is a drilling rig supervisor). It does become part of his job though because he is very good at it. Often he ends up fixing more than the actual mechanic.

Same way as I teach people all the time even though that is not my profession. I still identify myself as a teacher (I'm a geologist).

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I fix computers, but I try to keep from doing hardware stuff and would rather do software. Actually, I mostly enjoy coming up with a fix for something that was previously thought impossible. At work we have this program called Autosoft and according to their support team, everyone who runs it needs to have Windows UAC off and must have full administrative rights because it checks for updates when it runs and if there is one, it installs it right then. There's no way we're going to make everyone admins, so I came up with a way makes it work. I have all computers scheduled to reboot every night and have a startup script on all computers so that they run Autosoft as the System account, which would install any updates at that time, so there are never any to install when they run it during work hours.

I've never liked working on cars. I had someone show me how to change my oil and I hate getting under the car so I haven't done it since. I had to replace a distributor once, but for anything wrong I now just take it to the mechanic. I also only buy newer cars that don't have any problems (so far).

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm an HVAC technician but not for long. I'm going to go back to school soon even though I do like it and may end up back in the trade.

Out of the 25 technicians I work with, I think only 2 of us are ISTP.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not a mechanic, going to be starting an apprenticeship for electrical engineering soon though. I have however dabbled when I used to have motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I've worked as a mechanic in a couple bike shops. First female mechanic they ever had, but not the last.

Reactions: Uralian Hamster

·
Registered
456 Posts
I apprentice as a mechanic in a motorcycle shop. They mainly do engine work. Which is pretty awesome. Went to school for it.

It's extremely difficult for a female to get into the industry. Took me 2 yrs to get my foot in the door. Most shop owners dont want the liability (sexual harrassment lawsuits).

Most women (and a lot of guys too!) can't handle the shop lingo/mentality. My shop owner purposely "tests" his apprentices out - which means you will be called stupid or demeaned. Wasn't until 3 months in that he told me I was "pretty intelligent, a quick learner and I had a surprisingly thick skin"

you got roll with the punches and have a really quick wit. Sense of humor is key to success in a male dominated field. Strangely, it's what I like about the field. It's one of the only places I can go to escape the politically correct mentality.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I do love people's reactions to female mechanics. Sometimes it feels like such a boy's club.
The guys I worked were really excellent to me. Treated me like their sister and were happy to have me around. Taught me new things as I was learning, were always happy to lend me an arm when some bolt was just too tight for me to loosen. I didn't get any harassment. Some of them would even sometimes apologize if they ever caught themselves acting like brutes around me. And I was good to them, too. I did my job, didn't play games, had a sense of humor. It was a great situation, because they were good guys. I've worked in other places, though, where some of the guys have been out of line and harder to handle.

Reactions: VroomVroom

·
Banned
738 Posts
This was my first job, I did it for a couple years before moving to auto parts and really enjoyed it. Auto parts was terrible. So many numbers and angry customers.
Actually, one of the best things about being a mechanic is not having to deal with customers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts