Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, do you ever use your feelings? I mean besides adrenaline rushes, slight anger and complete apathy. Because that's about my range of emotions.
Do you ever really feel happy or sad?
I've never really felt happy since my childhood. And I've cried once or twice, both times surprised me, they came completely out of the blue. Both times i cried for hours, both times i was complete shocked. I suppose they were a result of my repressed emotions.

So, your thoughs?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think that my range might not be wide, but I'm able to attach the appropriate label to what I feel most of the time based on the context within which I experience it if I need to verbally express it to someone.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that my range might not be wide, but I'm able to attach the appropriate label to what I feel most of the time based on the context within which I experience it if I need to verbally express it to someone.
I have a hard time defining my emotions, I don't always know if I'm happy or sad, evil or apathetic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I feel "light", generally it's "happy". If I feel "heavy", generally it's "sad". Normal state is generally "apathetic". Contextually, they can get more granular if necessary for someone else's benefit.

I don't think "evil" is an emotion.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, I know, sometimes I just feel too cold and cynical, I don't know how to describe it with an actual emotion. It's more like a lack of emotions.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I definatly feel every emotion on a regular basis.

What I have trouble with is empathy for strangers. When people die, I feel nothing. When people are sick, have tragic living situations, lose a loved one, have a break up, etc, etc I feel nothing. I just can't put myself in their shoes. I think it's a defense mechanism. It's debilitating to get sad for every little thing. My INFJ friend actually cried for Japan <_<. This was actually a very useful attribute when I worked in a Nursing home... Until my teacher scolded me "JEFFERY! we do not joke about death to the residents!"

It's a bit different for people I'm close to. When a friend is sad, I'm sad too. But I think it's more selfish than that. I'm not feeling my friend's sadness. I'm sad for myself because my friend is sad... I hope that makes sense.

The biggest exception is book, movies, tv, etc. You don't have to worry about letting yourself be vulnerable, because in the end, it's just a story. In fact, I think I cry an exceptional amount because it's such an uncommon occurrence.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"It's a bit different for people I'm close to. When a friend is sad, I'm sad too. But I think it's more selfish than that. I'm not feeling my friend's sadness. I'm sad for myself because my friend is sad... I hope that makes sense."

I feel like that about my close family, like my ENFP brother. I have the same thoughts, I think it's a selfish feeling. I'm not actually empathizing with him, I just don't like that he's sad.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I actually get nervous around sad people, especially those close to me, because there is really nothing that I can say to make them feel better. As far as anger goes, I get irritated, but I have never snapped in anger before, and I pray I never do, because I have no clue what will happen. maybe nothing will happen, or maybe not, I know that when I am angry when I am alone I can get loud, but even that is a controlled anger.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I do have feelings, I just have a lot of control over them and don't express them outwardly.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ever heard "Show me your genitals" by Jon Lajoie?
The first verse actually pretty much sums up how i feel about..... everything.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I used to have very limited use of feelings and didn't even understand what the term "feeling" even encompassed. That's no longer the case. But I won't bother trying to explain. If you have any use for feeling and emotion, or you want to experience these things more outwardly or make positive use of them; then you'll find that on your own.

Reactions: Yves

·
Registered
595 Posts
l hate it when my 'emotions' get the better of me. l feel like my feelings are a seperate entity that are only there to confuse and challenge me and derail rational thought.. They don't belong to me because I didn't choose them; I was born with a set of chemicals that cause these things.

l don't like feelings because I have poor emotional intelligence. l admire those who have mastered the art of understanding and using their feelings.

Edit: l know this post comes off as angry/cold- I think l partly feel this way because l'm embarrassed that the last two times I cried was in public, about to break up with my ex, within the span of 1O mins for two unrelated things, I didn't even know I was going to cry, and it just took 1 line to set me off. I had to excuse myself and go cry in the toilets. I felt stupid. grr.

·
Registered
289 Posts
+1 for the lack of emotional intelligence.

I've always been the type to be kind of stoic and stable on the outside, but inside I'm completely confused. I have a lot of emotional issues to deal with, but I always put them off by distracting myself with some mindless activity. Like highlandstorm said, I feel like they get in the way.

As long as I'm distracted, I'm fairly happy and content. Any other time, I'm stressed / worried. Bleh.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't often pay attention to my feelings.. I find they can motivate me to action though..

You make it sound like a bad thing
That was an accident. I was just curious if that was what you were saying. I consider there are other sensations out there that are interesting.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
l feel like my feelings are a seperate entity that are only there to confuse and challenge me and derail rational thought.. They don't belong to me because I didn't choose them; I was born with a set of chemicals that cause these things.

l don't like feelings because I have poor emotional intelligence. l admire those who have mastered the art of understanding and using their feelings.
+1 for the lack of emotional intelligence.

I've always been the type to be kind of stoic and stable on the outside, but inside I'm completely confused. I have a lot of emotional issues to deal with, but I always put them off by distracting myself with some mindless activity. Like highlandstorm said, I feel like they get in the way.

As long as I'm distracted, I'm fairly happy and content. Any other time, I'm stressed / worried. Bleh.
If you don't mind my asking... is this related to what ISTPs say about getting "emotionally drained?"

That is, if something pulls you out of the content / distracted state, and into the confusion, does that cause a "drained" feeling afterwards?

[I ask 'cause it's hard for ENFP to understand. We live and breathe emotions. If we DON'T feel an emotion, it's a problem for us... and pure logic w/o emotions takes US effort to learn. We're basically opposite in that way!

And ENFP love emotional interactions, so it confuses us when you get tuckered out / uncomfortable / disappear to "recharge."]

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't often pay attention to my feelings.. I find they can motivate me to action though..

That was an accident. I was just curious if that was what you were saying. I consider there are other sensations out there that are interesting.
Let me put it like this: I interact with people for 2 reasons; work (For exaple: I don't like cooking, so when people cook for me it's great), and entertainment (I get bored a lot. This is the only thing that motivates me to go to school).

1 - 20 of 100 Posts