Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Naomi Quenk writes in her book "Beside Ourselves" regarding the ISTP inferior function, that basically they can have crazy outbursts of angry that make them feel better or something. (her writing is like trying to read through a layer of mud...it's awful, but yeah)

Her case study is basically: A guy has a horrible visit with his ex-wife. He's stewing over it and frustrated. On the way home he has a fender bender. He gets out of the car and punches the other driver in the face. Immediately he feels better about his visit with his Ex.

My reaction to her case study is pretty much "Double-yoo-tee-eff".

Although one thing she said that made sense to me was the statement that an ISTP will have moments where they "feel like a lost child in a grown up world."

this made more sense to me.

Thoughts? Reactions?

Ever punched a stranger and felt better about your problems?

What is your experience "in the grip" of Inferior Feeling?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Powerful chaos.

If someone wrongs me while I am experiencing inferior Feeling, I expend all my energy on them.

I was having a bad day last week and I was in class waiting on other students to finish the assignment. I put my head on the desk and surrounded it with my arms. A classmate then disrespected me by suddenly grabbing my side. She grabbed my side because she knows I am very ticklish and that I would jump up. (I don't know why people think they have the authority to disturb a person when they are minding their own business.) I then projected my voice to the entire room while telling her that she was never going to touch my side again. I did feel better because I instantly got ride of all my energy I had been harboring.

Reactions: reletative

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
She's right in the sense that an anger outburst fixes us. I for one notice when I'm becoming pissy / aggravated, but I don't know what's the actual cause of the emotional imbalance more often than not.

Now, I rather go to the gym instead of punching people, but each to their own I s'pose.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'm taking it too literally.

I don't really use or need violence.
But I do usually express my emotional turmoil by a large outburst verbally and then I'm done and over it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's... not a very great example.

Are you referring to Was That Really Me?, because I don't remember that.

That book actually is really what helped me type myself as ISTP, because I immediately recognized how inferior Fe operates in me.

PS if anyone wants a copy, I have the pdf <_<>_>

·
Registered
152 Posts

That book actually is really what helped me type myself as ISTP, because I immediately recognized how inferior Fe operates in me.

i would like a copy :D

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dogwoodlover:2377399 said:

Beside Ourselves

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
No...I usually just scream or violently throw things at people if I get angry.
Don't even need a reason--I mean, they don't even have to piss me off.

I wouldn't punch them. You can go to jail for that.
But, uh...I feel better after doing this.

Blowing off some steam and such.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My boyfriend is a pretty calm guy usually. One time at work he got angry at a one of our vendor reps for not doing what he had promised to do 3 or 4 times, each time causing extra work for us. He got so mad that the last time he told the vendor to fix it he turned around and punched the file cabinet. He felt better afterwards.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It used to help me. Probably still would if it wasn't for the fact that aparently smashing a stranger in the face isn't acceptable in today's society. As such, I take it home, and take out the anger in private.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mostly I remove myself from the fray and expend energy all by myself (run, walk, drive) but usually it takes motion to dissipate my anger. I try very hard not to react verbally or physically in front of who I am angry with as I will only have to clean up that mess later and have no interest in dealing with the situation or person anymore if I dont have to. If I am responsible for a failed outcome, you can bet I will confront it and the people involved later, but with a calm and reasonable manner so as to get the most cooperation out of them.

dogwoodlover I would like to read your pdf...sounds interesting

·
Registered
8 Posts

Yes please.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I rarely lose my temper and when I do I'm over it in under an hour; it's usually comes on as quick at it leaves however. Never punched anyone before, don't see how that would really fix anything.

I'm much more the type to slowly build up negative emotion over a long time and just have a massive implosion. My personality snaps, I do some stupid shit and then return to normal. Well, normalish.

Reactions: heyhedge

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Naomi Quenk writes in her book "Beside Ourselves" regarding the ISTP inferior function, that basically they can have crazy outbursts of angry that make them feel better or something. (her writing is like trying to read through a layer of mud...it's awful, but yeah)

Her case study is basically: A guy has a horrible visit with his ex-wife. He's stewing over it and frustrated. On the way home he has a fender bender. He gets out of the car and punches the other driver in the face. Immediately he feels better about his visit with his Ex.

My reaction to her case study is pretty much "Double-yoo-tee-eff".

Although one thing she said that made sense to me was the statement that an ISTP will have moments where they "feel like a lost child in a grown up world."

this made more sense to me.

Thoughts? Reactions?

Ever punched a stranger and felt better about your problems?

What is your experience "in the grip" of Inferior Feeling?
When I first started learning about type, I read this book along with “Was That Really Me”, which was the same book but new packaging, and Joe Butts’ booklet of shadow types. I went through a phase of finding Dr. Quenck’s material absurd since I knew she was a MBTI enthusiast, and her descriptions and examples similar to Lenore Thomson’s “Personality Types: An Owner’s Manual” are written with a tinge of stereotyping. But for the most part all MBTI enthusiasts seemed to attempt to correlate Dr. Jung’s function-attitudes into the MBTI theory. As everyone agrees here, her examples indicate that we are far less influenced by the inferior function as Dr. Jung proclaims in his theory.

Ti (or introverted types in general) dominant types would refrain from committing such acts if for no other reason, that we would loathe bringing such attention to ourselves (Remember, it’s the attitude….). But since any such behavior would be the result of a poor use of extraversion, if I did punch someone in the face it would be impulsive where my Se momentarily took over. However to defend her theory, she does indicate this is during a “grip episode”, so it may have less to do with my Se and a result of primordial behavior of fight or flight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sure i blow off steam like that from time to time, i get pissed make an ass of myself then get back to work. Funny thing is im over it not thirty min after I throw my fit. Doesn't happen to much but when it does i just go with it, I mean if im pissed i rather get it all out and over with then hold it in for later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts