Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot out there about INTPs and mathematics, but not really ISTPs. Would you, in general, say you are good at math? What aspects of math are you good at specifically, and what kinds of math are your favorite/strongest (i.e. trig, calculus, statistics)?

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Straight A's all the way through college calc 1, 2, & 3. Got bored with differential calc (a.k.a. calc 4) in college, dropped out.

Not because of math.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
ISTPs are so adaptable that they can excel at almost anything they put their mind to.
On the other hand, they rarely put their mind to anything. Craftsmen are perplexing.
So god damn true lol

·
Registered
680 Posts
I was good at math, but I only ever liked geometry and trig. I hated algebra and calc, and the only reason I took AP calc in high school was because I liked the teacher and it was still better than statistics, which was my other option.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I like all applicable math. And i for some reason.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
Never was it at all my strong suit. I am sure I am better at some forms of it more than others but my interest in it is not all there.
Now writing I am quite terrific at when I try. I feel I have a knack for it but never want to do it unless it is of my own accord. When my professors give me assignments with a large amount of leeway I find it works out in my favor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a stats major. I don't have a natural talent for math the way some people do, but I like it anyway. I just have to work my ass off to do it. I'm into statistics because it's one of the more logical and practical branches of math. The concepts make sense and it's pretty intuitive for the most part. I struggle with calculus and advanced probability (which is mostly calculus) because it's extremely theoretical. I'm pretty good with trigonometry, and algebra is easy at this point.

In my classes I generally take very detailed notes when my professors put examples and formulas on the board, but as soon as they start a proof I zone out completely.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Electrical Engineering Major so I kinda need... everything.

Trig and calc I don't mind. FUCK statistics... like seriously. As for Differential, Simultaneous and nth dimensional matrices... depends on my mood whether they are bearable or not. (and FYI, Matrices above the 3rd dimension make me miserable, and we now get taught them because of certain applications related to electrical engineering, mostly involving encryption (yeah, as an EE major you do have to take some computer engineering courses)

Reactions: Quercetin

·
Banned
1,509 Posts
I despise math.....

Not because I can't do math...
But because they like to phrase questions to trick you into doing it wrong.

"Linda is 6 inches taller than Dan. Dan is 3 inches shorter than Bob. Bob is 5 feet 3 inches tall. How far is their apartment from New York if they live 20 miles from each other"? ..........wha....?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I generally like math, especially geometry. I like algebra as well, and I would say I'm pretty good at it, but I can give up really easily at times.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If I get the concept and I know what to do, I even like it. And I'm rather good at it. I just need someone to explain it to me without going in circles. Statisctics and scale where never a favourite of mine.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I despise math.....

"Linda is 6 inches taller than Dan. Dan is 3 inches shorter than Bob. Bob is 5 feet 3 inches tall. How far is their apartment from New York if they live 20 miles from each other"? ..........wha....?
If it's only one appartement then how do they live 20 miles from each other?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I despise math.....

I hate math class problems, but when I need to use it for real life it's much less... stupid.

·
Registered
401 Posts
yep,

i like trig, and algebra, but i hate fractions

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
I'm really good at maths. Not the fastest by any means, but I get stuff and can do the things and work out how to do the things, which I think is kind of more important.
I'm not really a fan though, which annoys my teachers no end :p

1 - 20 of 48 Posts