Personality Cafe banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I suck at math. Like. Really suck. I used to be really good at it at some point, but then I lost interest. So now, it's one of the things I suck at the most. I'm good at is geometry, I think. But that's about it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Maths has always been my worst subject probably due to my lack of interest in it. When I put my mind to it I can do it. I usually forget it after I've learnt it and can't remember and need to relearn it again. Maths is always a roller coaster with me one minute I pass the tests the next I fail more often I fail. I just don't enjoy maths at all if I don't like something it's difficult for me to put any effort into it. I failed my last maths module on my course and now repeating it in my new course. Most lecturers/teachers tend to just explain it to you for ages just giving you example notes with maybe a few practice classes I usually get very bored in maths classes. Find X find Y etc...
Despite hating maths I'm actually pretty good at accounting I prefer that it's more practical to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Math in all its forms comes absurdly easy to me. If I had any sort of practical intelligence I would have pursued that field past high school, but alas...

·
Registered
51 Posts
ISTP Data Scientist here.

To be honest, I do not think I am a real beast at maths. I sure have been on an "elite" programme in France but I think I am more of an "alchemist" with mathematics than a true mathematician. I must explain to myself mathematics in an odd way and I am terrible at learning by heart. So I am certainly a lot better than the average guy in this field but I cannot compete with true majors in that field.

As a data scientist, I think I use an engineer - even craftsman - approach to mathematics. I am bored by theoritical things you must take into account to validate your data and so on. I go more with guts, visuals, pragmatic and instinctive approach...and that works fine in fact for many fields I work on : forecast, optimization, etc.

I likre mathematics but more as a funny puzzle, tool and - mostly - ultimate business model framework. I love building massive things with it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was great at maths; probably my best subject after foreign languages in HS and after botany in university.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts