Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been diagnosed with a mood disorder here? As predominantly thinking types, how does this manifest? Are there any differences you see due to your personality in the manifestation of the mood disorder?

I think I might have depression and I'd like to compare my own experiences with yours. I know that I could definitely have an addictive personality, hence why I avoid situations where I could get hooked. (And please don't just tell me to talk to a psychologist. The intent of the thread is not to diagnose me but to share stories and compare/contrast.)

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I think ISTPs are very rugged compared to the shit we can take and still be functional. Don't know about mood disorders, I've been very angry a long time in my younger years and used it as a drive to do better.

I've had PTSD and some kind of depression, but I always seem to land on my feet in the end.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I'm not sure. That's why I wanted to see some examples of ISTP mood disorders. I do know that depression and alcoholism run in my family, so I wanted to investigate the issue a little bit more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I suffer from depression, generalize anxiety, attention deficit disorder and from time to time I suffer panic and anxiety attacks. and I blame my thinking and analyzing brain that doesn't take a break.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've had depression and anxiety disorders diagnosed, as well as suspected quite a few others. They don't manifest in a certain way, but they affect my entire thinking process, and the only reason I might not notice them is because all aspects of myself are affected about the same meaning that these is no real internal unbalance. For the most part I do detect them right away as its impossible not to, they affect literally my every though and action, and make rather uncharacteristic choices for me.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I suffer from depression, generalize anxiety, attention deficit disorder and from time to time I suffer panic and anxiety attacks. and I blame my thinking and analyzing brain that doesn't take a break.
You could be in a relationship with a narcissist. That's where my PTSD came from. I think I'm a bit strange though. When I got panic attacks I was like "WTF is this, I'm afraid! I need to learn krav maga". But then I started to learn about psychology and that was the way to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You could be in a relationship with a narcissist. That's where my PTSD came from. I think I'm a bit strange though. When I got panic attacks I was like "WTF is this, I'm afraid! I need to learn krav maga". But then I started to learn about psychology and that was the way to go.
having a panic attack is Horrifying but I have learn to control them especially the anxiety attacks. I'm not in a relationship I fell for someone but nothing happen now i'm just trying to get over that, i'm currently traumatize because it was the first time in my life that happen to me never felt so strongly about someone, i'm also going to be turning 30 next year and that I think is part of the problem I feel old, I feel my life is over, I am frustrated with my life, i currently not working, I honestly feel like a loser turning 30 is a horrible phase never though it was going to be like this I just want this nightmare to be over I use to not care about any of this and now is all I can think of.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
having a panic attack is Horrifying but I have learn to control them especially the anxiety attacks.
Don't try to control them, it will only get worse. Acknowledge that your body is producing adrenaline and preparing you for a fight and that there is no bear lurking in the woods. Don't fight it, accept it. I found this book really good when I hade my attacks: Fear: The Friend of Exceptional People: How to Turn Negative Attitudes in to Positive Outcomes: Amazon.co.uk: Geoff Thompson: Books

I'm not in a relationship I fell for someone but nothing happen now i'm just trying to get over that, i'm currently traumatize because it was the first time in my life that happen to me never felt so strongly about someone, i'm also going to be turning 30 next year and that I think is part of the problem I feel old, I feel my life is over, I am frustrated with my life, i currently not working, I honestly feel like a loser turning 30 is a horrible phase never though it was going to be like this I just want this nightmare to be over I use to not care about any of this and now is all I can think of.
It doesn't have to be a relationship, it can be in the family as well.

I'd rather be alone and happy instead of with someone and not being happy. All of my friends have married and I do get a couple of questions from time to time, but I'd rather wait until it feels good for me and I find someone I really like.

Stop thinking and start doing, that's all there is to it.

Grab the bull by the horn and start living.

I've recently passed 30 and I honestly feel that my life will only get better with age. I think ISTPs mature a bit late. In my teens I thought I would have a Volvo, Dog and house by the time I was 25.. Little did I know about life and about myself :)

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
I've recently passed 30 and I honestly feel that my life will only get better with age. I think ISTPs mature a bit late. In my teens I thought I would have a Volvo, Dog and house by the time I was 25.. Little did I know about life and about myself :)
In my teens, I thought by 30 I'd me a millionaire a couple times over.
30 is nothing, it's very young, especially if we consider how most people don't seem to start acting or thinking like human beings until age 26. The brain isn't even done developing until around 25 or so, and with most people it's quite obvious.

I was dysthymic for a couple of years, but it was because my life was in transition, I'd experienced a number of traumas, and I was surrounded by assholes. In my case, the people in my day to day life have a major impact on my well-being, so I am ruthless about keeping people out, if they're negative. I've always looked for a lifeline to get me out of bad situations, either from a book or perspective change, or change in general. That's been my saving grace.

Life tends to get easier emotionally with age, you experience a lot more and that experience leads to competence and better decision making.

In the past, I've been fueled by anger, I wanted to WIN; in my case, that was also a lifeline. I guess everyone has a will to win, it just manifests differently, but that's a form of personal power. I think the important thing is to make conscious choices that fall in line and propel one towards important personal goals. Not goals that society dictates, personal ones, the ones that count to an individual. Those lead to happiness and well-being.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
In my teens, I thought by 30 I'd me a millionaire a couple times over.
30 is nothing, it's very young, especially if we consider how most people don't seem to start acting or thinking like human beings until age 26. The brain isn't even done developing until around 25 or so, and with most people it's quite obvious.

I was dysthymic for a couple of years, but it was because my life was in transition, I'd experienced a number of traumas, and I was surrounded by assholes. In my case, the people in my day to day life have a major impact on my well-being, so I am ruthless about keeping people out, if they're negative. I've always looked for a lifeline to get me out of bad situations, either from a book or perspective change, or change in general. That's been my saving grace.

Life tends to get easier emotionally with age, you experience a lot more and that experience leads to competence and better decision making.

In the past, I've been fueled by anger, I wanted to WIN; in my case, that was also a lifeline. I guess everyone has a will to win, it just manifests differently, but that's a form of personal power. I think the important thing is to make conscious choices that fall in line and propel one towards important personal goals. Not goals that society dictates, personal ones, the ones that count to an individual. Those lead to happiness and well-being.
I'm very much like you. If people either can't change their bad ways or if they have bad intentions I'll keep them out of my life. One time is a mistake, two, three and four times is a trait.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nothing formally diagnosed, but does substance abuse count? I have a long history of dependence on various substances to escape and cope with stress.

I'm far past my hardcore meth days, but still fall back rather heavily on caffeine and nicotine, to an abusive extent, some would say.

My justifications are basically lies though. The various costs associated with smoking, for example, far outweigh the therapeutic stress-relieving effects. My 'justs' just hide behind addictions, mostly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ive been diagnosed as Bipolar-II. i used to doubt it... till i went off mood-stabilizers. Don't know if this really has anything to do with personally types though. I'm sure mood disorders happen at the same rate across all personality types because they are 100% genetic/neurological/chemical based disorders.... not personality based, which can be cause by numerous factors... like anti-social personalities or avoident personality disorders, that i would assume be slightly higher among istp's compaired to the 'general' population. How different personality types handle mood disorders would be a better question.

But my way of handling my bipolar issues is good and bad i guess. I often gravitate towards "1 hobby at a time." Usually and hopefully fishing, lifting, or snowboarding... at least now i try to push myself towards these although sometimes its something not so great. like sex, spending a shit ton of money, or worse... alcohol..... now when i start drinking i deliberately
try to switch to weed... cause it causes MUCH less of an impact on my life overall. i do stupid shit and consistently get arrested when i drink. weed just makes me chill and watch netflix till it passes over. Funny thing is, it usually happens in that order. Fish, lift, snowboard... sex, money, drugs and repeat.

I used to think i had some type of personality disorder but then i realized i was cocky and egotistical... now im confident and self assured even when shit goes to hell.

Btw- Cocky= building self-esteem. Confidence is having it. But i think this moreso comes with adversity and age. - yes, i know myself, think a lot, and read a shit ton.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts