Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just been curious about it considering the fact that it is one of the big things going for me right now. I am wondering if there are any other ISTPs out there who are musically Inclined as well, and if you are, what instrument and how do you "form" your pieces? could also try to speculate on some famous ISTP musicians as well if we are up to it.

as for me...

Guitar (not that great when it comes to lead)

I tend to "feel" out the beat/rhythm physically, which I then tend to think of the piece in more mathmatical/logical processes. I put the sounds together simply on a note per note basic, what sounds best together (could be very useful in improvisation I think). I don't really find value in lyrics though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I feel out the rhythmic landscape first too. I went through a stage where I was totally and utterly absorbed in poly-rhythms. I also love real pulsating drones (think digeridoo - without meaning digeridoo) that anchor the complicated interplay of multiple cadences. Then I go for melodic riffs.

Thinking about it, I know of no ISTP musicians who think much about lyrics, and story telling in their music; it's all about the interplay. Do you find that?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel out the rhythmic landscape first too. I went through a stage where I was totally and utterly absorbed in poly-rhythms. I also love real pulsating drones (think digeridoo - without meaning digeridoo) that anchor the complicated interplay of multiple cadences. Then I go for melodic riffs.

Thinking about it, I know of no ISTP musicians who think much about lyrics, and story telling in their music; it's all about the interplay. Do you find that?
thats what I have noticed as well. Sometimes ive thought about to the point of considering joe satriani or john petrucci as ISTPs

It's all about going for a jam!

Who needs words in a song....just feel the beat :cool:
Thats exactly how it is. If I play I play for the sake of playing, plus I don't know if its just me but oftentimes I feel that the music itself would convey the true emotions of the peace and not the lyrics.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I played trumpet in high school, but I haven't kept up with it. I always preferred to play the harmony. I marveled how when me and the First trumpet got our parts down really good, it sounded as if there were only one instrument. You couldn't tell where the harmony ended and melody began.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i played the piano before i went to school but since we moved and it didnt fit, stopped playing it for good and i doubt i can still remember any tunes there. I wasnt the 'best' in music class tho.

Since i graduated high school, i picked up my dads old 7 string guitar and gotten quite good with it. I tend to just "feel the music" rather than try to rigidly follow the patterns. I rather prefer to improvise and just follow the beat as i think i remembered it and rarely remember to pack the lyrics / notes book with me.

All in all, i dont consider myself to be musically inclined at all.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i played the piano before i went to school but since we moved and it didnt fit, stopped playing it for good and i doubt i can still remember any tunes there. I wasnt the 'best' in music class tho.

Since i graduated high school, i picked up my dads old 7 string guitar and gotten quite good with it. I tend to just "feel the music" rather than try to rigidly follow the patterns. I rather prefer to improvise and just follow the beat as i think i remembered it and rarely remember to pack the lyrics / notes book with me.

All in all, i dont consider myself to be musically inclined at all.

You could possibly be but its just that its not one of your big interests. I never had lessons other than what was gone over in basic music classes through the 12 years of school. Yeah, Ive been playing for a good 12 years as well.

I cant really see myself being in a band though because of the whole group dynamic. I can do it as long as people dont fight or force their view on eachother. Some people play for fame, money and sex, I simply play because I enjoy playing. That is a big difference between why most people would play and why I myself play.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts

thats why I listen to trance.

I always wanted to play drums but parents wouldn't let me... those retards. Anyway I played piano for 5 years but all the music I was given was so gay that I couldn't stand playing anymore. I wish I stuck with it though because in the real world piano has some of the most beautiful music out there.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I suggest Liquid DnB / Liquid Funk - there trance actually does have drums, and even bass :tongue:

Though, I share the sentiment of not giving a crap about lyrics (most is only wannabe deep pseudo message crap anyway) - as long as it's banging and melodic I'll like it.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I always wanted to play drums but parents wouldn't let me... those retards. Anyway I played piano for 5 years but all the music I was given was so gay that I couldn't stand playing anymore. I wish I stuck with it though because in the real world piano has some of the most beautiful music out there.
agreed on that. having a piano/keyboard track added in can indeed add a lot to the 'texture' of the piece.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like having music on in the background at all times. I was also in Marching Band for eight years, but I think that was more for the discipline required than the playing because I am a terrible mellophone player.

On the other hand, I like having something in my hand to play with and a violin is rather useful for that. I like to pluck when I am really bored... or writing a paper. I feel like it stimulates my thinking a little because then I have to pay attention or else everyone around me suffers from the off tune melody I try to create (I would like to think I am decent)... sometimes I don't care.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Wait....there's lyrics in songs? :/

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I experience music better when I'm playing it myself, or if there's some sort of simple visual effects accompanying the audio. I think this is why rock band / flashflashrevolution are so appealing for me.

A little visual example:

Reactions: madhatter

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've been playing drums for 22 years and have been playing professionally for the last six years. I had six years of marching band and quite a bit of private instruction along with even more self teaching. I'm also pretty big on playing by feel. It used to really make my high school band director mad because I'd play with the rhythm instruments instead of playing what was written. My biggest problem is that I'd rather be playing than practicing. It takes a ridiculous amount of discipline for me to adhere to a regular practice routine (note: practice and band rehearsal are two different things).

I can also play guitar and bass. My high school had a guitar class and I was the kid that everyone else hated to go after on test day.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been playing drums for 22 years and have been playing professionally for the last six years. I had six years of marching band and quite a bit of private instruction along with even more self teaching. I'm also pretty big on playing by feel. It used to really make my high school band director mad because I'd play with the rhythm instruments instead of playing what was written. My biggest problem is that I'd rather be playing than practicing. It takes a ridiculous amount of discipline for me to adhere to a regular practice routine (note: practice and band rehearsal are two different things).

I can also play guitar and bass. My high school had a guitar class and I was the kid that everyone else hated to go after on test day.

Yeah, I know what ya mean. I can't even hold to a practice routine. They aren't as fun as just simply playing and learning while playing.

In the meantime, I am just working on a cover of Kamelot - March of Mephisto

wish I had a wah and flange FX pedals though :/

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Distortion and compression are the only guitar effects I ever use. :laughing:

It all depends on the sound I am going for.

I use overdrive far more than just straight up distortion.
Delay has plenty of uses for me, especially in intros/slower pieces.

cant wait til I start my new job, my paycheck is most likely going towards this.

Behringer V-Amp 3 Guitar Multi Effect Processor and more Guitar Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

OR

Line 6 GuitarPort RiffTracker and more Hardware at GuitarCenter.com.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
My biggest problem is that I'd rather be playing than practicing. It takes a ridiculous amount of discipline for me to adhere to a regular practice routine (note: practice and band rehearsal are two different things).
This was my problem, too. I never practiced at home when I was in the band at school. (Besides, there's nothing more obnoxious than listening to a trumpet in an enclosed space like my house.) When I no longer had the structure of the band to keep me focused, I stopped playing. I'll pick it up sporadically. I don't have the discipline, and I have so many other interests that take away from it.

Reactions: ThoughtProcess
1 - 20 of 25 Posts