Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ISTP boyfriend and I are long-distance, but today (Valentine's Day) he surprised me with an e-mail of a gift certificate for a massage at a spa near where I live.

His explanation after I thanked him: "I didn't want to send flowers again, and you always say your back hurts, and I can't fix that from here."

And that's why ISTPs are awesome.
Practical. Thoughtful. Perfect.

So I put it to you, ISTPs: What are some of the best gifts you've given and why? Here's your chance to brag.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Holidays are overcommercialized so I only get small gifts those times.

As for birthday gifts.... lets see

Got my sister a Wacom graphics tablet since she is going to school for graphic design.
Back/neck massager cushion for my father to help relieve cramps due to MS.

Oil changes/car maintainace is also common for me to do myself for gifts since it is cheaper than going to a garage.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
96 Posts
My birthday was last week and my ISTP fiance got me some gifts. Before opening them she tells me, "It's not what you want, it's what you need." My gifts consisted of socks, a sweater, a thermal shirt, sneakers, and a mini-thermos. Practical indeed. ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Heh. My favorite was what I gave my ENFJ roommate for her birthday a few years ago. Knowing that she gets overly excited about the littlest things I decided to get her this cute little stuffed dog. Just to add more fun I covered her bed in balloons and buried the plushie under them, in the middle of the bed where she'd see it when she cleaned the balloons off.

When she comes into the room and sees the mess she's very excited. She proceeds to play with the balloons for thirty minutes without ever noticing the toy. She also mentions that the balloons are one of her most favorite presents ever.

I of course find this terribly amusing and just wait for her to find the toy.... and waited and waited. Eventually I showed her the dog under the pile of balloons and she again gets really excited about the new addition to her fun. But I think she liked the balloons better.

I don't understand ENFJs. They never cease to confuse/intrigue me. But she loved the gifts.

·
Registered
745 Posts
When she comes into the room and sees the mess she's very excited. She proceeds to play with the balloons for thirty minutes without ever noticing the toy. She also mentions that the balloons are one of her most favorite presents ever.

I of course find this terribly amusing and just wait for her to find the toy.... and waited and waited.
Just imagining this amuses me.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Heh. My favorite was what I gave my ENFJ roommate for her birthday a few years ago. Knowing that she gets overly excited about the littlest things I decided to get her this cute little stuffed dog. Just to add more fun I covered her bed in balloons and buried the plushie under them, in the middle of the bed where she'd see it when she cleaned the balloons off.

I of course find this terribly amusing and just wait for her to find the toy.... and waited and waited. Eventually I showed her the dog under the pile of balloons and she again gets really excited about the new addition to her fun. But I think she liked the balloons better.

I don't understand ENFJs. They never cease to confuse/intrigue me. But she loved the gifts.
This is hilarious!

If my room had been turned into a balloon jungle I'd be thinking "F- this is sweet, but is going to make a freaking loud a** mess." and would probably cringe.

That's amazing that you did that for her though; that's something that, I'm sure, left an impression.

·
Rustle Thy Jimmies
2,424 Posts
I'm..... notorious for never buy gifts for birthdays/holidays. I randomly buy gifts for others throughout the year to make up for it though. Bought my brother some weights for working out for Christmas this year though. And I just bought my little sister a pair of Ugg Boots for her birthday next week.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I gave my wife a box of chocolates for Valentines day, and wrapped each chocolate with a piece of paper saying something I love about her, so she gets something sweet with her sweets. I reused this one for her first mother's day, but it was written from the perspective of our toddler.

On our first date, we went to an aquarium and a beach. She collected shells and handed them to me. I kept the shells and the receipt for later use. A few years later, I wrote a poem about the beginning of our relationship, glued the shells to it, and taped the receipt off to the side. Sometimes, it's all about the hoarding of things, which might be useful some day in the future.

Proper gift giving is all about knowing what makes the person tick deep down, but it's a lot of work, so I don't do it right most years, which causes me to procrastinate and sometimes not give gifts at all.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I bought my best friend a new gaming headset+keyboard because his were old and didn't work all the time

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gave my wife a box of chocolates for Valentines day, and wrapped each chocolate with a piece of paper saying something I love about her, so she gets something sweet with her sweets. I reused this one for her first mother's day, but it was written from the perspective of our toddler.

On our first date, we went to an aquarium and a beach. She collected shells and handed them to me. I kept the shells and the receipt for later use. A few years later, I wrote a poem about the beginning of our relationship, glued the shells to it, and taped the receipt off to the side. Sometimes, it's all about the hoarding of things, which might be useful some day in the future.
All of that sounds really sweet, yet it's the least ISTP thing I've ever heard of an ISTP doing. I learned something new today.

·
Registered
351 Posts
All of that sounds really sweet, yet it's the least ISTP thing I've ever heard of an ISTP doing. I learned something new today.
I went through a period in my life after a fairly severe depression, where my "project" was to get in touch with my own emotions as well as those around me. I just think about being who I was then, and all this Fe-Ni stuff comes pouring out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just did everything the last minute and bought a stack of red roses with pink slash marks and panther spot in orange paper wrapping, heart-shaped box of Ferrero assorted chocolate, and a popup Hallmark valentine card of two people sitting under the tree staring at the stars. They're classic items with a twist. I'm never a fan of pure classic stuff. Been there, done that. My gf got me Guild Wars 2 poster. She always knew what I want even though I never tell her. Buying stuff for her preference is difficult since she like those female cosmetics. I'll never be able to figure those out. Those are tricky.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm..... notorious for never buy gifts for birthdays/holidays. I randomly buy gifts for others throughout the year to make up for it though.
yep, same here.
i buy or make gifts when i think of it, not when the calender tells me to. i want to get my boyfriend this t-shirt, would love to buy him borderlands 2 (but only if i can afford to buy it twice, i want it too after all), buy every lemon squeezer i find because my girlfriend collects them (double-points for pink ones), everything cthulu because her boyfriend loves that stuff, …

·
Registered
317 Posts
My grandma's ISTP boyfriend bought her a pressure washer because he deck and driveway needed it. She wasn't that impressed.

My ISTP fiance always gets thoughtful and very generous gifts to family. Cost balance is no concern. Just if it is what the person wants/needs it is what they get. I like that a lot about him. And he doesn't care that no one ever knows what to get him because he doesn't need/want anything really. Maybe a neat weapon of some type. No more tools because he has them all already.

We are working together right now in the middle of nowhere - no stores less than 2 hours away and no delivery - but he managed to get me flowers for Valentine's Day :) I feel pretty darn special - he is such a sweetheart.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My ISTP man has a bunch of little mementos and keepsakes hoarded away. Homemade cards and such. He has his "knicknacks" and I have mine :)

Btw you are very sweet and must love your wife very much. It's very special :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
This Valentines Day I had an agreement with my boyfriend that we would make our gifts. And he is fairly cheesy when it comes to sentimental things/gifts. So I decided to do the same and add a kick of humor. So I made a comic book of our relationship up until this point, and I enhanced it by making us only stick figures and superheros with ridiculous talents. It was a hit.

·
Rustle Thy Jimmies
2,424 Posts
This Valentines Day I had an agreement with my boyfriend that we would make our gifts. And he is fairly cheesy when it comes to sentimental things/gifts. So I decided to do the same and add a kick of humor. So I made a comic book of our relationship up until this point, and I enhanced it by making us only stick figures and superheros with ridiculous talents. It was a hit.
That.... is actually quite badass. I might have to steal that idea from you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts