Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember feeling a little bothered everytime someone told me they had a degree in psychology, because I felt like they believed they could control people... this was before I knew what psychology was of course. Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
667 Posts
That's not limited to ISTPs, I don't like some psychologists either, for partly that reason and party the reason that I've found them entirely unhelpful on occasion! Not for me personally but for friends and family.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
So what is the actual question, whether one likes psychologists the people in the profession or the school of psychology. I would find it interesting if even a few confirmed psychologists would or could admit to knowing a professional psychologists. If you are asking about the study of the subject, I think you answered your own question that you had a pre-conceived notion of what it entails.

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
This is mildly amusing, since in Asimov's Foundation series, that's essentially what the psychologists do--direct the course of human civilization. (Yes, I'm aware that they were actually called "psychohistorians," but their field would entail a huge dose of social science, including psychology.) Dun, dun dun dun, DUN!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Psychologists, wlell, a lot of them seem to try to make you think that you're more fuck up than you are so that they can rope you in for more therapy and money, particuarly money.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Do you mean to refer to psychology as a "pseudo science" in other words? ISTPs aren't the only ones who are boggled by their minds when topic comes to talking about psychology or when people major in psychology. Psychology interests people and people are intrigued by psychology, what can go wrong? Psychology can control people to a certain extent but aren't we all already being controlled?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think psychology in itself is very interesting, but I think problems occur when someone is feeling troubled and goes to see a psychologist, and more often than not the psychologist has no idea what's wrong and delves into the person's past to find some 'troubled childhood experience' which more often than not has nothing to do with what's going on with them, then prescribes them with a load of medication that they don't actually need, when the root of the problem can be for example simply that the patient is exhausted from something totally different and dwelling on their past doesn't help. Phew long sentence, hehe. I just basically think I'm sure some psychologists are great, but when a patient is leaving their office even more miserable and confused than when they went in then something isn't right, and I've heard from a LOT of people who've had that experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dangers, I think, are dogmatism and overconfidence…and as someone else said, profit motive. It seems to me that it's very arrogant to believe one can truly understand another. It can be done, yes, and some problems/people are simple, but the ability to truly take oneself out of the evaluation is indeed rare.

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
I think psychology in itself is very interesting, but I think problems occur when someone is feeling troubled and goes to see a psychologist, and more often than not the psychologist has no idea what's wrong and delves into the person's past to find some 'troubled childhood experience' which more often than not has nothing to do with what's going on with them, then prescribes them with a load of medication that they don't actually need, when the root of the problem can be for example simply that the patient is exhausted from something totally different and dwelling on their past doesn't help. Phew long sentence, hehe. I just basically think I'm sure some psychologists are great, but when a patient is leaving their office even more miserable and confused than when they went in then something isn't right, and I've heard from a LOT of people who've had that experience.
Oh god, the stereotypes.

"Troubled childhood experience" sounds like psychoanalysis, a fairly outdated method of psychotherapy. Some more recent examples include Cognitive Behavioral therapy, Integrative therapy, Behavioral therapy, Expressive therapy, and Rational Emotive Behavior therapy. (Psychotherapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The difference between a clinical psychologist and a psychiatrist is that the latter is freely allowed to prescribe medicine, while the former's privileges to do so are restricted, at best. Psychiatrists are just medical doctors who specialize in mental health. Clinical psychologists are psychologists who have not necessarily been trained in medicine. (Psychiatric medication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Furthermore, it's not always the case that the medication is unnecessary.

Just correcting some misconceptions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My ISTP partner is strongly against the idea of psychologists. He was forced to go to one as a child and he said he found the experience "just stupid". He says he'd rather talk to friends than psychologists, who he sees as strangers.

He was a bit offended when I started with my psychologist, too, saying he wants me to talk to him. Maybe ISTPs, who aren't in strong contact with their feelings, see sharing one's problems as a private thing which should be done with close friends and lovers instead of professionals?

He is also a bit worried since I'm thinking about getting a degree in psychology - he says he's afraid I might analyse him too much.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Funny, since I'm majoring in psychology. I guess I'm the odd one out for ISTPs...then again, my N trait isn't too underdeveloped, I'm beginning to realize.

I find people fascinating, and often like to compare personality quiz results and draw conclusions from them/analyze them(whole reason why I'm here because of this hobby). I'm super into personality, so I'm thinking about being a researcher and conducting experiments to further expand my knowledge on personality and how the brain works. I'm not sure if I want to do actual one-on-one psychological work, since I'm not sure if I could and/or would want to deal with someone else's problems and feelings (as it's hard enough for me to deal with my own, being a Thinking type), but the idea of being able to hypothesize the behavior of someone intrigues me.:crazy:

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
806 Posts
Funny, since I'm majoring in psychology. I guess I'm the odd one out for ISTPs...then again, my N trait isn't too underdeveloped, I'm beginning to realize.

I find people fascinating, and often like to compare personality quiz results and draw conclusions from them/analyze them(whole reason why I'm here because of this hobby). I'm super into personality, so I'm thinking about being a researcher and conducting experiments to further expand my knowledge on personality and how the brain works. I'm not sure if I want to do actual one-on-one psychological work, since I'm not sure if I could and/or would want to deal with someone else's problems and feelings (as it's hard enough for me to deal with my own, being a Thinking type), but the idea of being able to hypothesize the behavior of someone intrigues me.:crazy:
I'm the same way!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Part of what bothers me about both psychology and society for the most part is the whole "Everyone has to think and act the same, if your not then you are fucked up and must conform" undertones to it all. Yeah, psychology can help in some ways but there are plenty of idiots who use it to control people and guide them back into the 'herd' more or less.

Yes I know I am all for Individuality.

Reactions: ItsAlwaysSunny

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Again one of these generalization threads..

I dislike those psychologists that have trained themselves to do the "voice". I don't know if it is international or local, but very many of psycho-people I have tried to talk with are playing a role of "nice deaconess with a sweet voice" or something. It's very hard to explain in writing, but, say, if you can speak three sentences with the air in your lungs, do speak only one in a way that you have nothing left in the end. And make it sweet, like a nice granny in a Disney movie. I don't know if they teach this somewhere in the psychology courses, but it does drive me nuts. One woman did speak in totally normal manner when discussing the fees, but started the "voice" directly when going personal. I told her to stop doing that but she couldn't. Very funny.

I find the cognitive style of therapy quite good, actually. I have understood it so that their job is to listen and make the patient think. Those that go on assuming and giving advice before I've finished (NF etc?) do drive me nuts as well. Of course a friend can do the same listening, but making you think the stuff from a different angle is not something just anyone dares to do to a friend. Also, the friends tend to get bored after a while, and can get hurt. Paid (good) psychopeople are like clever friends that challenge your thinking and never get hurt. :tongue:

Psychologists are a difficult bunch. Tailors and painters can give you a showcase to look at, but you never know what you get when you hire a lawyer or a psychologist. I once found one that I liked; she might actually been an ISTP.

Reactions: DemonAbyss10

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Again one of these generalization threads..

I dislike those psychologists that have trained themselves to do the "voice". I don't know if it is international or local, but very many of psycho-people I have tried to talk with are playing a role of "nice deaconess with a sweet voice" or something. It's very hard to explain in writing, but, say, if you can speak three sentences with the air in your lungs, do speak only one in a way that you have nothing left in the end. And make it sweet, like a nice granny in a Disney movie. I don't know if they teach this somewhere in the psychology courses, but it does drive me nuts. One woman did speak in totally normal manner when discussing the fees, but started the "voice" directly when going personal. I told her to stop doing that but she couldn't. Very funny.

I find the cognitive style of therapy quite good, actually. I have understood it so that their job is to listen and make the patient think. Those that go on assuming and giving advice before I've finished (NF etc?) do drive me nuts as well. Of course a friend can do the same listening, but making you think the stuff from a different angle is not something just anyone dares to do to a friend. Also, the friends tend to get bored after a while, and can get hurt. Paid (good) psychopeople are like clever friends that challenge your thinking and never get hurt. :tongue:

Psychologists are a difficult bunch. Tailors and painters can give you a showcase to look at, but you never know what you get when you hire a lawyer or a psychologist. I once found one that I liked; she might actually been an ISTP.

Thats why I actually like the one I am currently seeing for once. He does Seem to be an ISTP, and I prefer his straight-fowardness. Oftentimes though we will get sidetracked into political/philosophical debates which I do feel detracts from the progress but I do enjoy them. (I am in for counseling due to some anger issues so yeah)

as for something somewhat related I think you might have explained why I tend to be approached by women quite often for relationship advice. (yeah some people may take it as they just want me and are using it as a way to approach me, but I take it as they just simply want someone to simply tell them what needs to be said and not to sugarcoat things)

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I wouldn't ever hate on them before knowing them. Everyone, regardless of career can be a douche. So far however I'm quite content with what/who I am and the Internet enables me to share my crap with whoever I desire and with groups that think alike or at least able to follow my train of thoughts, regardless of whether or not they'll agree with them.

Not quite in need of a personal doctor yet, but I figure they have a right of existence, to some degree :tongue:

EDIT: I also have yet to find anyone that could successfully drill my skull open, so far many have tried, but no one ever came even close to reality. Though, that may be due to me upsetting them and their analysis being slightly biased by their internal anger.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had two counsellors provided by a hospice a few years ago. The first told me within a few minutes that I sometimes laugh after I talk and this is a sign of nervousness or something. I gave her the death stare and she was changed for another. The other one just bored me. What is the point of me telling you about my life when I can work why I do certain behaviours myself. I pick it apart find out why and then I work on it. All she said was 'that must have been very hard' yeah I know that!She didn't say what she was thinking and it pissed me off because I could see her mind working. However, they can be helpful for some people and I think I must have just been unlucky with my two.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Isn't it possible that you just have bad psychologists?

I mean here's the truth. the world is filled with mediocrity.

Most car mechanics suck.
Most musicians suck.
Most doctors suck.
so it only stands to reason that most psychologists suck.

The point is what you've most likely described is the average shitty psychologists.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts