Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been asked recently but I don't want to necro old threads to generate new interest, ie if my thread sucks ass it will disappear, as nature intends.

If you like to read, what do you prefer to read? If you do not, do you find other ways to gather info?

Non ISTPs: If you MUST respond here, do so only about ISTPs you are certain are accurately typed.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Not sure if this has been asked recently but I don't want to necro old threads to generate new interest, ie if my thread sucks ass it will disappear, as nature intends.

If you like to read, what do you prefer to read? If you do not, do you find other ways to gather info?

Non ISTPs: If you MUST respond here, do so only about ISTPs you are certain are accurately typed.
I spend several hours a day reading. Mostly not-fiction: instruction manuals, articles, forums, related to work or to my various hobbies that depend on learning and gathering data.
Generally speaking I prefer reading fiction to watching fiction for immersion.
For non-fiction, I see no point at all in youtubers in general; there are a few ones who hold a generally high quality and are capable of condensing knowledge lecture-style, and whose presentations benefit from animated illustrations, but when I search the web for knowledge I’ve learned to pretty much always ignore any links to video sites.
Some documentaries are good, but since pretty much anybody with a camera and a sponsor can get them out, there’s a lot of biased crap with an agenda out there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I read pretty much exclusively non-fiction. Currently I'm reading about colonial south america and the mess that was their independence wars.
The only fiction I can remember reading is Orwell's 1984.
Audio-books and podcasts are great when I'm doing something that doesn't require much focus (mowing, sanding, ect).
Long form (~30 min+) videos are also great as background noise when gaming.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Only fiction I read is thrillers from Baldacci and Coben. Sometimes my youth books.

For the rest non fiction, mostly on the web about economics, monetarism, finance, psychology, training and nutrition and news sites.

I read several hours a day. It is what I love doing. I love learning.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fiction every day. Especially mystery novels and books that have complex characters. Reading about a character that was once a good guy turned bad is always a pleasure to read. Particularly if you read step-by-step that character's downspiral and the impact it creates for the story after it's dark development. Those books are the best.

I like non-fiction too. Especially crime and psychology books/sites.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I used to be a huge science fiction fan in my teens. I've read everything I could get my hands on. Nowadays I do most of my reading on the internet and I generally prefer discussion to reading.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm not a big reader. It's hard for me to focus on something for a long time, which results in me mostly reading non-fiction about my interests. I can spend hours looking at hiking maps or reading trail guides, but put a fiction book in my hand and Ill get frustrated to no end.

·
Rustle Thy Jimmies
2,424 Posts
Fiction every day. Especially mystery novels and books that have complex characters. Reading about a character that was once a good guy turned bad is always a pleasure to read. Particularly if you read step-by-step that character's downspiral and the impact it creates for the story after it's dark development. Those books are the best.

I like non-fiction too. Especially crime and psychology books/sites.
Have you read the Magicians? While he doesn't turn villain, it's some of my favourite examples of character development in general

·
Banned
544 Posts
I don't tend to spend much time reading, but one Summer I was stuck at my grandparents so I read the first three Harry Potter Books. Now I just usually read non-fiction, like the books Martin Scorcese movies were based off of. I was also addicted to professional wrestling autobiographies for a while. The whole business is pretty fascinating.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I loved reading when I was a kid but I haven't done it much lately as an adult. It seems that my attention span has gotten significantly shorter. I still like reading once in a while but it takes me a lot of willpower.

I prefer to read fiction for fun. Nonfiction makes me feel like I'm in school, but it's easier for me to retain.

Reactions: cursive

·
Registered
30 Posts
Strictly non-fiction. DIY, psychology, theology, self-help, tech books. I find fiction not so practical because I can't apply the stuff I learn. I'm a slow reader and I don't have time for fiction since so many non-fiction books are on my to read list. If I ever read fiction, it's a popular series like Harry Potter or something. It's just so I can figure out what the fuss is about and have an opinion and be able to talk about it with people.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like fiction e.g. fantasy, sci-fi, contemporaries .. But I can't remember the last time I read a non-fiction book for leisure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love reading fiction.
Believe it or not, I really enjoy "chick-lit" - maybe because everything in them is so far from my own head and life.
I also WRITE chick-lit - they do not sell well. I probably am not getting the tropes right :p

Reactions: cursive

·
Registered
32 Posts
what's a memoir you read and enjoyed recently?
I've just picked up The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Bauby and I like it so far. It's sad and funny.

Do you read memoirs as well? If you're looking for one I'd recommend The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston. It's non-traditional so you may not consider it a memoir, but I found it fascinating :)

Drop some titles for me too :tongue: I'm gonna have a lot of time to kill these coming weeks

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've just picked up The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Bauby and I like it so far. It's sad and funny.

Do you read memoirs as well? If you're looking for one I'd recommend The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston. It's non-traditional so you may not consider it a memoir, but I found it fascinating :)

Drop some titles for me too :tongue: I'm gonna have a lot of time to kill these coming weeks
I actually don’t read memoirs often at all. I did read one I enjoyed by Gene Tierney, it was about her life as an actress in the 40s and 50s and her mental health issues… She got bipolar before anyone knew how to treat it. Her story was really honest Especially for a time when people were not into being open and upfront about menral health.

I mostly like nonfiction books, about how to do things or about how certain things work, entrepreneurship, running a business, money management, self-improvement, habits etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts