Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who is very goal oriented, specially regarding to money and luxury? Can't stop dreaming about it or working on ways to reach it.

Anyone else relates to this?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Am I the only one who is very goal oriented, specially regarding to money and luxury? Can't stop dreaming about it or working on ways to reach it.

Anyone else relates to this?
I do. I started my own company when I was legally allowed.

I have an education and a job. But my ultimate dream is to work for myself, that is my goal.
I don't care about the money or the luxury. I want the self-sufficiency, the I work for myself.

That is my goal. Independence. Freedom. To live as you please.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I am not sure that I specifically fantasize about luxury.

I do have goals tho.

I have pursued a lot of things and both succeeded and failed things. I wouldn't say I have ever made out lucratively. I think I just like learning different trades and skills and wearing different hats more so then that I always look for a huge pay off. Not that I don't want a nice pay off I am just saying luxury is less important to me then the experience. I definitely seem to like the pursuit in achieving goals.

I work independently doing seasonal wedding photography and web camming, and just random freelancing on promotional stuff. Its not lucrative its just mediocre (I do have children to support so I wouldnt say I have extra cash in abundance). But those are not my long term goals, but they make me happy in terms of choosing my own schedule and working for myself, basically sometimes stuff is temporary steps with time or money to work towards better things long term, while I actually work towards longer term goals in regards to trade and/or degree work in progress but I already set plenty of my goals in motion.

Debating tho if I want to go and pay $11,000 for a 3 month trade program for a high demand job that starts at 75 grand or if I would like to spend a year finishing my degree in either hospitality or criminology. Degree that takes longer but costs less, but pays medicore longterm, or trade that starts higher has great long term potential, take only 3 months training, but costs more off bat. Toss up.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Goals seem to far into the "future" to be tangible to me....

I prefer to set up a series of daily short-term tasks that when completed for a long enough period, will produce a result that I can claim was my objective all along. (probably wasn't, still taking credit though)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I set up goals in my day, do this in this game or this over here, small things but I don't usually have any goals that extend beyond a day.

Fantasize about money and luxury? Nope, I'd like to have more money but I don't think about it all that much, luxury I'd rather not have too much of, I like working for things and accomplishing something instead of being handed things.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I never thought myself of goal oriented until a friend of mine pointed out that I was. It kind of blew my mind to hear it, but I guess it is true

·
Registered
26 Posts
Early in my life I was very goal oriented but on one goal. My profession, I'd wanted to be a doctor and deliver babies. I have worked in that field though not in the capacity that I want. I know for sure eventually I will get back to it as a midwife, but I've taken a step back from it due to my husbands goals which are more in line with having money and luxuries. We've gotten to a place where we are getting those things. Last year was the best year of my life, we did so much, we travelled, bought a house and a new car. We have a minor set back in him losing his job but our options are only looking up.

I've been more interested in luxuries since having a taste for it now so I am really interested in growing our money without working for it like investing stocks. I'd like to get a motorcycle and do some remodeling on our house. I want a Lexus or Benz eventually too. If it weren't for my husbands interest in these things I'd not care at all I'm sure but he's rubbed off on me. I'm hoping at some point he will make enough to support our current lifestyle and I don't have to work, we are both comfortable where we are. I grew up poor and he was middle class so he's where he'd like to be. I kind of want to be free to fling myself into one thing or another whenever I want.

In my day to day life I don't really have goals. I kind of do what is needed of me and nothing more. The need is relatively large to focus on working to support my family at the moment so that is what I am doing. But I'm not a list keeper and I'm really not that great at remembering things without one. I get by on pure luck and happenstance most of the time. I'd say I'm pretty lucky though cause everything always seems to work out for me even without day to day goals.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It was not until my late twenties that I actually began having goals, and I feel like kind of an idiot for not recognizing the need for them earlier, but I guess it's a variation of the Dunning-Kruger effect: You can't know you're being an idiot as long as you're an idiot. :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
My 'goal' if you can call it that, is to take life easy and be content with myself.

For example my job has the potential to earn a significant amount of money from overtime, however from observing other people and talking to them I have come to the conclusion that extra money will not make me happy. And any that is earned inevitably just gets spent on garbage I'll never use anyway. I'd rather live simpler and spend my time experiencing things, rather than spending my time to buy things. Granted having less disposible income will limit my potential to travel and experience certain things, but I believe the balance to be worth it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm always working toward certain things. I have lots of them. Some are very short-term, like only a couple days or weeks, and a few are long-term (like paying off our 30 year mortgage in 20 years to save a ton of money in interest). Some, I get into, work on them for awhile, lose interest and move on. Some I come back to, and some I don't. But it seems that whichever ones are really truly important to me always find their way back to my attention/interest.

By the way, I've never been able to really fully digest the difference between "goals" and "objectives". Is that just a me thing or an ISTP thing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts