Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there ISTPs—I have some questions for you.

ENFJs (as I understand it) have no problem discussing things that are considered "taboo" if it's done "tastefully" and with people they trust. I can talk about just about anything with someone I'm close to, and few subjects are off-limits on my end.

How do you guys feel about talking about "taboo" subjects like sex, body parts, and health problems? Does it make you uncomfortable, or are you open to talking about it? If so, is it only with people you're closer to and trust, or do you not care?

Also, if a friend opens up to you about something, are you more likely to think "ewww," "awww," "meh," or something else? I'm curious.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
One time in my life I've reacted with "um... no... it's actually too disgusting to mention it [here]".

I was trying to sell this vid onto a friend while we had dinner. Some info it is very... unsatisfying, to me at least.

Reactions: Westy365

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I think discussing taboo subjects has more to do with your age and comfort level rather than with your personality type. I would discuss sex, body parts, and health problems with no reservations. I would not, however, discuss politics with a politician, religion with a priest, or misogyny with a feminist.
Interesting. I'm practically the opposite as I consistently discuss politics with politicians (whenever I've met one), religion with a pastor best friend (I'm atheist) and feminism with my SJW sister.

There's no topic that I consider "taboo" because I find "taboos" to be social constructs and over time taboos change. If we remained stuck on not even discussing what people consider taboos, in some cases we cannot broaden people's perspective as dialogue is one of the cornerstones of progress.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,215 Posts
Substitute labels and catchphrases for content? I don't think I've ever used the word "taboo" before. There's just common sense, even if enough people seem to lack that. Perhaps that's the reason they need "taboos".

So. Do I want to discuss your stomach problems while eating dinner? No, and no one else does, either. That's just common sense.

However: I'm also not going to discuss your stomach problems anywhere else. And that has nothing to do with any sort of "taboo", and everything to do with that I flatly don't care about whatever's going in your health life. Is it bad enough that you spend half the day in the bathroom? Then visit a doctor. Is it just a minor inconvenience? Then stop talking about it. Either way, what is the purpose in telling me?

And all of the here queried "taboo" subjects are like that. They make for supremely boring conversations that will have me doing torque calculations or plotting my next camping trip in my head.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think discussing taboo subjects has more to do with your age and comfort level rather than with your personality type. I would discuss sex, body parts, and health problems with no reservations. I would not, however, discuss politics with a politician, religion with a priest, or misogyny with a feminist.
Pretty much this.

·
Banned
688 Posts
Health problems concern the doctor and uniquely him. And as SeAux, a simple physical disability can be a more import problem than for many other types. The image I send back is important (Fe). It may also involve a partial or total loss of autonomy. So, it can become a taboo because a shame, a disgrace, transient or sustainable.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Substitute labels and catchphrases for content? I don't think I've ever used the word "taboo" before. There's just common sense, even if enough people seem to lack that. Perhaps that's the reason they need "taboos".

So. Do I want to discuss your stomach problems while eating dinner? No, and no one else does, either. That's just common sense.

However: I'm also not going to discuss your stomach problems anywhere else. And that has nothing to do with any sort of "taboo", and everything to do with that I flatly don't care about whatever's going in your health life. Is it bad enough that you spend half the day in the bathroom? Then visit a doctor. Is it just a minor inconvenience? Then stop talking about it. Either way, what is the purpose in telling me?

And all of the here queried "taboo" subjects are like that. They make for supremely boring conversations that will have me doing torque calculations or plotting my next camping trip in my head.
Okay, so here's another question for you. Say a trusted friend was wanting to compare physical experiences, share gross but funny stories, or share something they learned with you about something that might be a little bit private (i.e. "Once I peed on an electric fence and zapped my balls real good." **I haven't done this, just to clarify—it's just an example**).

If there's humor in it, does that make it okay or more interesting for you? (Other ISTPs, feel free to answer this as well).

·
Registered
ISTP
1,215 Posts
I mean. It depends on what kind of discussion you want. Your OP made it sound like you seriously wanted to discuss all of your ailments.

If it's a good story, it's a good story. It's even a good story regardless of whether it is a true story, so the topic is even less of a concern, there are no limits. But it's not a discussion, then. I will not comment in any serious way, and the next response could be about something else entirely: I would categorise this as smalltalk among friends, the latter caveat due to topics of a more private nature, unsuited to gatherings-at-large.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean. It depends on what kind of discussion you want. Your OP made it sound like you seriously wanted to discuss all of your ailments.

If it's a good story, it's a good story. It's even a good story regardless of whether it is a true story, so the topic is even less of a concern, there are no limits. But it's not a discussion, then. I will not comment in any serious way, and the next response could be about something else entirely: I would categorise this as smalltalk among friends, the latter caveat due to topics of a more private nature, unsuited to gatherings-at-large.
Hahaha no, I wouldn't want to discuss all my ailments. My grandparents used to do that and it drove everyone crazy.

And yes, it doesn't have to require a back-and-forth discussion, it can be just "private" small talk. I was more just wondering if a friend talking about stuff often considered "inappropriate" (i.e. bodily functions) in front of their trusted ISTP friend (in private) would make the ISTP uncomfortable. Obviously, there is a line (I'm sure most people of any type wouldn't want to hear about their friend's bizarre sexual kinks or something like that haha). I more just don't want to make ISTP friends uncomfortable with a conversation topic or story. I know that talking about feelings with them will almost always make them uncomfortable, and that ISTPs don't generally like being asked, "How do you feel?" (for this reason, I avoid asking ISTPs these questions).

ISTPs tend to be so quiet, chill, and laid back, and I was wondering if they often thought things in their head like "TMI dude, I don't want to hear about that." or "WTF dude why would you tell me that? Yuck—seriously, get a clue!" Even so, I've heard the ISTP is generally very nonjudgmental and forgiving, so I suppose even if a friend did say something that made the ISTP uncomfortable every now and then, they wouldn't hold it against them and would just move on. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

·
Registered
isxp cp684
1,706 Posts
reckon it might depend on your field, career, hobbies, etc.
I work in wildlife disease ecology, which has plenty SPs and we're always talking about the weird things we encounter - whether it's performing necropsies or about weird bones we find in the woods.
we'll talk about our own issues - the weirder the better - but less about serious, personal things - like mental health, relationships. and we also don't talk about normal ailments too much, like colds or whatever.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Hey there ISTPs—I have some questions for you.

ENFJs (as I understand it) have no problem discussing things that are considered "taboo" if it's done "tastefully" and with people they trust. I can talk about just about anything with someone I'm close to, and few subjects are off-limits on my end.

How do you guys feel about talking about "taboo" subjects like sex, body parts, and health problems? Does it make you uncomfortable, or are you open to talking about it? If so, is it only with people you're closer to and trust, or do you not care?

Also, if a friend opens up to you about something, are you more likely to think "ewww," "awww," "meh," or something else? I'm curious.
I don't respect taboos.
Except for a general human-level empathy, I get bored by the details of most people's health problems.
I'll happily discuss politics with a politician, religion with a priest, and misogyny with a feminist; that's like the best people with whom to discuss those topics...

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
875 Posts
It depends. I'm more open to talking about "weird" stuff if the other person is obviously very comfortable with it. If the other person makes it weird, then it's weird. That said, I don't usually bring up taboo stuff in conversations unless somebody else brought it up first. Sometimes I'll intentionally breach taboo subjects with friends/acquaintances just to mess with them, but usually not.

·
Banned
688 Posts
Mmmm this kind of taboo...

Like only the enemies of Rome were crucified, the self-proclaimed messiahs were stoned, as was the custom in the region?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If it's for someone else's sake, I won't bring up "taboos," but if someone mentions it, I have no problem discussing it. I'm generally open to what someone else wants to talk about. If someone brings up that they're sexually attracted to children to me, I would likely be less judgemental and more curious and want to know about it.

Someone talking about their pimples or the pus they squeezed out of their armpit sore doesn't really bother me gross-wise, it'd more bother me like "why are you telling me this idc"

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,242 Posts
It depends on which taboo. Sometimes its better not to talk about it, for personal sake.

However, 90% of the taboo's I would probably be open to discuss about.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
(am stp, close enough right?)
"How do you guys feel about talking about "taboo" subjects like sex, body parts, and health problems? "

Outside of "workplace appropriateness", it's not the "being taboo" to general society part that stops me; more a situational fear of vulnerability and/or unwanted intimacy.

E.g.

• A. PLATONIC Friend with no filter talks about certain sexual situations they got into with much added detail - DO I REALLY WANT TO KNOW?!
  • B. Personal health problems - Will I be capable of maintaining enough of a functional mood I may need for the rest of today if I talk about it at this moment?

With regards to the specific taboos listed above in society as a whole, I'd generally agree that more open discussion (with people willing to agree to having them) would likely better the world.

Reason: I do not want to hear repeats of shit like women trying to "pop their cherries" by sticking a knitting needle into their cervix because nobody fucking knew where the hymen was located because proper sex ed is too taboo to be placed in mandatory educational systems, or girls thinking they're bleeding out and going to die because no one told them wtf a period was.

·
Registered
371 Posts

I often hear it the most from ISTPs. ''Common sense is not so common'' They use it more!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts