Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Tea Biscuit, you know some ISTPs. What do you think they enjoy, or look forward to most?

I don't get any fun out of planned activities or hobbies, myself. I think what I enjoy most, is discovering things. I get a tremendous kick out of being lost in the woods, and finding myself in a place that I've never seen before. Perchance to happen upon a crop of wild mushrooms, or a big pile of sand. Or an abandoned building, full of stuff that I can rip out and drag home. I love any kind of salvage operation. It's sort of like the thrill of the hunt.
I am notorious for going for long drives an discovering areas that I have never been in, getting out of my vehicle and taking in the wonderment of a picturesque site. But as for the collecting, I am usually attempting to get rid of things. Most of the time I am just as happy doing yard work to break a good sweat and meandering in my flower garden. So do you prefer to do these things on your own?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So do you prefer to do these things on your own?
Hell yeah.

But as for the collecting, I am usually attempting to get rid of things.
Oh yes, me too. But I have a big property with my very own scrap heap, you see. If I look at a piece of junk and decide that I'll probably never use it, I have no trouble signing its death warrant.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
What?
Where am I?
How'd I get here?
Oh my Gosh: I'm in the ISTP forum.

Well, since I'm here entirely by accident, I will add that the discovery of places and things and the hatred of doing the dishes are things ENFPs share with ISTPs. We love adventure and like to have someone to discover... I mean we like to have someone to discover things with. Going places on a whim, looking at the sky or the trees can be fun. And ISTPs I know enjoy some of their solitary activites even more than having fun, so maybe that's the confusion.

I guess I better click my heels together three times and say, "There's no place like the ENFP forum," and see what happens.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I had an ISTP friend and fun for him was experimenting with sound editing software in my company. Oh man, I felt so high that night... on life.
I forgot about that. You're right, it does give you a rush. I remember staying up through the night just finding creative ways to edit sounds. Years ago I worked for a non-profit agency. We did a promo for the agency, so I spent a week at one of the local universities in their sound facilities. It was as you say a high...

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have a big property with my very own scrap heap
Marry me! <3 <3 <3

:tongue:

Regards the song editing, I made some techno songs a while back using Fruity Loops, and yeah it feels good.

I am notorious for going for long drives an discovering areas that I have never been in, getting out of my vehicle and taking in the wonderment of a picturesque site.
I do the same... except with public transport... damn I need a car. :dry:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
a car? why bother getting a car just to enjoy the nature.
Take that bike out for a ride and hit the tracks. The car will just get stuck in the first mud hole you reach. Nothing beats a week long bike trip in the wilderness for relaxation. Cars are just for transportation from town to town

·
Registered
322 Posts
I went through a bit of an obsession with sound editing/composition software (SoundForge, Audacity, Sibelius) when I was in my early-mid teens, eventually got bored of it and moved onto something else.

a car? why bother getting a car just to enjoy the nature.
Take that bike out for a ride and hit the tracks. The car will just get stuck in the first mud hole you reach. Nothing beats a week long bike trip in the wilderness for relaxation. Cars are just for transportation from town to town
Definitely. I don't really enjoy driving much TBH (at least everyday driving in populated metro/suburban areas) - you have to concentrate on the road/other cars, read the road ahead and there's so many rules etc. so you don't really get a chance to take much of the surroundings in. Walking, getting driven/public transport, biking, blading etc. is much more enjoyable for me because of this.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I went through a bit of an obsession with sound editing/composition software (SoundForge, Audacity, Sibelius) when I was in my early-mid teens, eventually got bored of it and moved onto something else.
I can relate to this too. We probably all do this to some extent, where we go through a phase of total immersion in something we think is really exciting at the time. Maybe "fun" for the ISTP can be described as "intense but short-lived".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting! So it's not like you look forward to being alone, so you can do X. It's more like you look forward to being with others, so you can do Y?
No, I enjoy, in fact I need plenty of solo time. Working on hobby projects, resting, shuffling paperwork, reading, studying, thinking, listening to music, drinking a beer, I usually prefer to be by myself when doing those things.
X and Y are chromosomes!
That made me laugh. :laughing: Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey, first thread to join. hahaha

fun. hmmm. i don't know? it happens randomly - not entirely dependent on what i do, who i'm with, where i am. depends int the mood most of the time. :happy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
Are you an ISTP?
that's the thing i'm actually trying to discover.. IF i'm an ISTP. because i always et INTP and INTJ as results. but they say ISTP, most the time, mis-categorize themselves in either of those two personality types.

so i'm not sure. help me find my four letter combinations then. :laughing:

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
that's the thing i'm actually trying to discover.. IF i'm an ISTP. because i always et INTP and INTJ as results. but they say ISTP, most the time, mis-categorize themselves in either of those two personality types.

so i'm not sure. help me find my four letter combination then. :laughing:
Keep at it, you'll get there.
I've taken several different assessments, I came out as an INTP once too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am notorious for going for long drives an discovering areas that I have never been in, getting out of my vehicle and taking in the wonderment of a picturesque site.
I do this quite a bit, especially if I have a lot on my mind.

I like to drive to some random place, get out, and start taking pictures of everything that looks interesting. Especially if I'm on a trip, if I see something along the way that looks cool, I get out and start snapping. I'm really into urban and rural decay... of places where people once were that have been abandoned--they are just so beautiful and tragic to me. I also like to go hunting for cool looking plants to make lumen or cyanotype prints with. Haha, I'm kind of obsessed with photography right now.

I love listening to music, especially when I'm aimlessly driving around. I also love to sing and play music. I like walking the dogs (especially up on the mountain), swimming, gardening, sitting outside with my dogs and husband with a nice cold beer, playing Magic:The Gathering (yes I know--nerd alert!), reading, cooking (but only for an audience), puzzles (jigsaw, and other), drawing/painting, building things, fixing things (which is a fairly regular occurrence, considering the age of my house), rigging things (sometimes unsuccessfully, but whatever), making my house look awesome (lots of bright &/or dark paint colors, funky furniture--mostly from thrift stores), problem solving, making plans for things that are never going to happen (or will change drastically)...

Oh yeah: I second the loathing for doing the dishes.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I do this quite a bit, especially if I have a lot on my mind.

I like to drive to some random place, get out, and start taking pictures of everything that looks interesting. Especially if I'm on a trip, if I see something along the way that looks cool, I get out and start snapping. I'm really into urban and rural decay... of places where people once were that have been abandoned--they are just so beautiful and tragic to me. I also like to go hunting for cool looking plants to make lumen or cyanotype prints with. Haha, I'm kind of obsessed with photography right now.

I love listening to music, especially when I'm aimlessly driving around. I also love to sing and play music. I like walking the dogs (especially up on the mountain), swimming, gardening, sitting outside with my dogs and husband with a nice cold beer, playing Magic:The Gathering (yes I know--nerd alert!), reading, cooking (but only for an audience), puzzles (jigsaw, and other), drawing/painting, building things, fixing things (which is a fairly regular occurrence, considering the age of my house), rigging things (sometimes unsuccessfully, but whatever), making my house look awesome (lots of bright &/or dark paint colors, funky furniture--mostly from thrift stores), problem solving, making plans for things that are never going to happen (or will change drastically)...

Oh yeah: I second the loathing for doing the dishes.
I hate doing dishes manually too, but I have an automatic dishwasher so it's an easy chore.

Whenever I'm driving it's because I'm driving somewhere. Gas is too expensive for me to drive around aimlessly, not that I wouldn't mind it. If I'm in the car by myself and I feel like it, I might play some really loud music and sing along with it.

I'd like to get into photography more, if I felt like I really knew what I was doing. Heck, I only have four cameras. I keep a small digital camera and spare batteries in my glove box just in case.

Saturday morning I was driving to get somewhere and I caught sight of this very cool looking antique car. So I followed the car till it stopped and I asked the owner for permission to take a picture of it. A little bit after that I came across a water fountain that someone had soaped, it was foaming up real nice and I took a few pictures of it too. It was near a high school, students probably did it. Reminded me of what I did way back once too.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
i found the way you worded ur response funny saying u don't consider ur hobbies as fun
Enjoyment and fun have two completely different meanings to me.

For instance, if I sit down to have a nice meal, I enjoy it. If we have a food fight, now that is fun!
If I'm engaged in an activity with someone that is fast paced or exciting I consider that to be fun.

Not that I couldn't do the activity by myself, but I'd rather ride a roller coaster with a screaming woman sitting next to me than ride it by myself.

Many of my hobbies are quiet or solo activities, I enjoy them but I don't especially think of them as fun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
errm, in my case there is an invisible stick lodged somewhere which starts shaking whenever "fun" is mentioned.
oh wait, (...rumble...), grrrr...

well, ok, I am mostly a hobbyist programmer, and this serves sort of as entertainment as well I guess.
also, watching anime, ...

sometimes playing FPS games (though, often not seriously, I usually wander around and shoot stuff, and often end up using cheats). sometimes I explore the far reaches of maps, try to find "creative" ways to kill monsters, ...

I suspect I may also repel dishes (bleh... this activity sucks...).

41 - 60 of 67 Posts