Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’ve been untangling my mind and behaviour for some time. Initially coming to typology believing INFP fits me best but on study, reflection and external observations, ISJ (Si lead Ne inferior) I’m coming to think describes me best, my strengths and my weaknesses. I’d be curious to find out if any INFPs relate to this post I wrote or if yeah, my words do seem to fit ISJ temperament better and ISJs can relate? Also I think ISFJ would be more likely than ISTJ, I can’t see a case for me being a thinker, but maybe because I did believe I was an INFP then function wise ISTJ could make sense...anyways...that’s by the by :)

“It’s taken me all this time to realise how much I rely on and draw towards having routines and stable patterns in my life. Even on holidays (adventures) I try to have a bit of predictability in that I know what I could be doing each day and as long as I know I can go back to my room and have a cuppa before bed I’m settled and ready for the day.

I never really thought before how actually I am a stickler for control. I can go along with others plans and be freewheeling, go with their flow, but it’s with boundaries and calculated, and tends to be more out of a desire for having peace with others and accommodating the group than me being genuinely a spontaneous “woo” person.

Also I guess having routines has helped me adapt to this new normal. Add a bit of control and safety to chaos. Then again, this year was meant to be me getting out of my comfort zone- having another solo trip, being part of the operatic society, attending cons and go driving to more places.

My comfort zone seems to be based around having life be slow and steady, not too crazy and negative. A calm pleasant pace. But comfort zone has also meant I’ve been insular socially, being too afraid to put myself out there and make connections out of fear of rejection and bad feelings. I guess I also can be reserved because I do adapt to what other people are expecting which can be overwhelming, to point where I’m lost as to what my own needs and self are. So it’s been safer to socially retreat and stick to the know.

But I do feel like my life is lacking. That I’m dull and dug myself in a hole, which 2020 was meant to be the time I escaped it. Though it’s July now and I’m further in the hole, however wiser in that I know the reasons why and how I’ve trapped myself.

I’m not quite sure what to do going forwards. The future seems so scary. Everything is up in air, with work, home life, and the world in general. So I hope that in time I can work on my social life and expand my horizons 🙂”

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm ENFP not INFP or ISxJ but I can see some patterns here, hopefully it helps you :)

“It’s taken me all this time to realise how much I rely on and draw towards having routines and stable patterns in my life. Even on holidays (adventures) I try to have a bit of predictability in that I know what I could be doing each day and as long as I know I can go back to my room and have a cuppa before bed I’m settled and ready for the day.
This indicates to strong Si in my opinion. Si people whom I know plan their vacations and adventures similar way - predictability over unknown :) I'm exactly the opposite and a few of my INFP friends aren't THAT different from myself as well.

I never really thought before how actually I am a stickler for control. I can go along with others plans and be freewheeling, go with their flow, but it’s with boundaries and calculated, and tends to be more out of a desire for having peace with others and accommodating the group than me being genuinely a spontaneous “woo” person.
This part gives me a hint about having Fe and J.

Also I guess having routines has helped me adapt to this new normal. Add a bit of control and safety to chaos. Then again, this year was meant to be me getting out of my comfort zone- having another solo trip, being part of the operatic society, attending cons and go driving to more places.
Signs of afraidness of unknown indicate towards low Ne (potentially inferior), especially combined with hints of strong Si based on your descriptions above.

I guess I also can be reserved because I do adapt to what other people are expecting which can be overwhelming, to point where I’m lost as to what my own needs and self are.
Here are good signs of Si and Fe again. You definitely value other persons expectations more than your own beliefs. If I'm correct, aux Fe could have feeling of being overhelmed by other people while dom Fe doesn't have that "issue" so easily.

I’m not quite sure what to do going forwards. The future seems so scary. Everything is up in air, with work, home life, and the world in general. So I hope that in time I can work on my social life and expand my horizons 🙂”
Again, I'd guess low, potentially inferior Ne - dom Ne (and aux too, for INFP) are more easily open for unknown.

I'd guess you're rather ISFJ based on all that. I didn't detect any Fi in your description which could refer to being INFP or ISFP.

By the way, it was very well formulated description about yourself :) Hoping it helps you in some way and feel free to ask if I'm mistaken or anything in my opinion is unclear :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm ENFP not INFP or ISxJ but I can see some patterns here, hopefully it helps you :)

This indicates to strong Si in my opinion. Si people whom I know plan their vacations and adventures similar way - predictability over unknown :) I'm exactly the opposite and a few of my INFP friends aren't THAT different from myself as well.

This part gives me a hint about having Fe and J.

Signs of afraidness of unknown indicate towards low Ne (potentially inferior), especially combined with hints of strong Si based on your descriptions above.

Here are good signs of Si and Fe again. You definitely value other persons expectations more than your own beliefs. If I'm correct, aux Fe could have feeling of being overhelmed by other people while dom Fe doesn't have that "issue" so easily.

Again, I'd guess low, potentially inferior Ne - dom Ne (and aux too, for INFP) are more easily open for unknown.

I'd guess you're rather ISFJ based on all that. I didn't detect any Fi in your description which could refer to being INFP or ISFP.

By the way, it was very well formulated description about yourself :) Hoping it helps you in some way and feel free to ask if I'm mistaken or anything in my opinion is unclear :)
Aw thank you for taking the time to read my words and provide feedback. It’s so kind of you to do so and insightful, especially from a NP perspective.

Hmhm, I can see now that ISFJ probably fits the best, just in the past when it was brought up to me by people in other groups I was like “no, I’m INFP! I can’t be a sensor!” And I guess stubbornly clung to that belief, though on coming back to typology a few years later I’ve been able to be more objective and perceive that I do operate and come across differently to INFPs, and NPs in general. I don’t mind “Unknowns” if I can see a few different options for what will happen and how I can navigate what occurs, if I can trust that the unknown will be pleasant and positive. Such as it being my birthday and being surprised with plane tickets to some exotic island on a flight that leaves later that day, I’m on board!

But unknown random situations and events where I genuinely don’t know what will happen or how I should orientate...yeah I get a fair bit flummoxed and rather bury my head in the sand :0

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don’t mind “Unknowns” if I can see a few different options for what will happen and how I can navigate what occurs, if I can trust that the unknown will be pleasant and positive. Such as it being my birthday and being surprised with plane tickets to some exotic island on a flight that leaves later that day, I’m on board!

But unknown random situations and events where I genuinely don’t know what will happen or how I should orientate...yeah I get a fair bit flummoxed and rather bury my head in the sand :0
Yep, everyone uses Ne (and other functions as well), it wouldn't be possible to operate otherwise. Also, every role can be developed with age and experience. Main difference is that using our main strengths doesn't drain our energy in most cases while relying on inferior roles over extended period of time most likely does it and we get frustrated.

Based on example in your description above, you can use Ne but it just overhelms and exhausts you if you have to rely on it. For me it's vice versa - it never drains me but when I have to use too much Si, I get frustrated and feel suppressed like I have no alternate options and I've got stuck in the corner :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, everyone uses Ne (and other functions as well), it wouldn't be possible to operate otherwise. Also, every role can be developed with age and experience. Main difference is that using our main strengths doesn't drain our energy in most cases while relying on inferior roles over extended period of time most likely does it and we get frustrated.

Based on example in your description above, you can use Ne but it just overhelms and exhausts you if you have to rely on it. For me it's vice versa - it never drains me but when I have to use too much Si, I get frustrated and feel suppressed like I have no alternate options and I've got stuck in the corner :)
Ah I see, thank you for sharing your own experience. I kind of feel like I have the opposite problem to you? When I have too many options I feel stuck in a corner, paralysed by indecision and the threat that whatever option I choose will be the wrong one.
I suppose our inferior functions are where we feel trapped? Though I have always enjoyed reading, writing, perusing fiction in all its forms as a way to escape reality, I guess to live a whimsical adventurous life in a safe way - I like a bit of drama and danger, with supernatural elements in stories but I know in real life I’d be so freaked out. Due to my love of fiction and penchant for more or less constantly daydreaming, I couldn’t see myself being anything but an Intuitive.

However I’ve realised now that Sensors can be imaginative and dreamers too. My imagination is used as a comfort, a way to enhance my pleasure and boost my esteem (perhaps because Ne is lower down so when I engage in creative play I feel really adept and awesome?) but in day to day life I won’t really deviate in my actions and behaviour. I’m a fair bit predictable 😆

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I kind of feel like I have the opposite problem to you? When I have too many options I feel stuck in a corner, paralysed by indecision and the threat that whatever option I choose will be the wrong one.
I suppose our inferior functions are where we feel trapped?
Exactly! Overdoing our inferior leads to those feelings, just every type experiences it differently. Yep, I have opposite "problem" to that - for example, if I (fortunately quite rarely) get a task at work which is just straightforward and has nothing to do with creativity or freedom to choose best path, I get frustrated and stressed rather quickly if I can't get out of that in reasonable timeframe.

Of course I can handle such situations as well but they're definitely not my first choice :) But give me a vague task "Take 5 men and achieve goal X in next 3 months" and I'm like on a surfing wave (which can sometimes even feel like being naturally high) as there are so many options and possibilities to reach to that goal and mmm that freedom :) I love the uncertainty and vagueness of bigger projects.

Though I have always enjoyed reading, writing, perusing fiction in all its forms as a way to escape reality, I guess to live a whimsical adventurous life in a safe way - I like a bit of drama and danger, with supernatural elements in stories but I know in real life I’d be so freaked out. Due to my love of fiction and penchant for more or less constantly daydreaming, I couldn’t see myself being anything but an Intuitive.

However I’ve realised now that Sensors can be imaginative and dreamers too. My imagination is used as a comfort, a way to enhance my pleasure and boost my esteem (perhaps because Ne is lower down so when I engage in creative play I feel really adept and awesome?) but in day to day life I won’t really deviate in my actions and behaviour. I’m a fair bit predictable 😆
Sure that sensors can be very imaginative. I guess it just might play out a bit differently for them than for a strong N type. Maybe more in "concrete" way, I guess :) On the other hand, INFP might be like in another realm and you can literally see them zoning out even in the middle of discussion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly! Overdoing our inferior leads to those feelings, just every type experiences it differently. Yep, I have opposite "problem" to that - for example, if I (fortunately quite rarely) get a task at work which is just straightforward and has nothing to do with creativity or freedom to choose best path, I get frustrated and stressed rather quickly if I can't get out of that in reasonable timeframe.

Of course I can handle such situations as well but they're definitely not my first choice :) But give me a vague task "Take 5 men and achieve goal X in next 3 months" and I'm like on a surfing wave (which can sometimes even feel like being naturally high) as there are so many options and possibilities to reach to that goal and mmm that freedom :) I love the uncertainty and vagueness of bigger projects.

Sure that sensors can be very imaginative. I guess it just might play out a bit differently for them than for a strong N type. Maybe more in "concrete" way, I guess :) On the other hand, INFP might be like in another realm and you can literally see them zoning out even in the middle of discussion.
Thank you for sharing your insights. its really helpful to use them to compare :)

Hmmm my imagination tends to be based on scenes I’ve watched and/or stories I’ve read. I’ll insert myself in the storyline of whatever I’m currently reading or watching and picture how I would feel and react in the same events. Or I’ll be going for a walk, say in a woodland area, and will conjure up imagery of similar woodland areas I’ve been to or read about, and liken it to a fairytale forest where a dragon could pop out from behind a tree or where mice could turn into people. So I guess my imagination is quite sensory based? Though makes associative connections. Usually I’m inspired by something else and it triggers my own unique fantasy. If that makes sense?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thank you for sharing your insights. its really helpful to use them to compare :)

Hmmm my imagination tends to be based on scenes I’ve watched and/or stories I’ve read. I’ll insert myself in the storyline of whatever I’m currently reading or watching and picture how I would feel and react in the same events. Or I’ll be going for a walk, say in a woodland area, and will conjure up imagery of similar woodland areas I’ve been to or read about, and liken it to a fairytale forest where a dragon could pop out from behind a tree or where mice could turn into people. So I guess my imagination is quite sensory based? Though makes associative connections. Usually I’m inspired by something else and it triggers my own unique fantasy. If that makes sense?
That's my best understanding about how Si works (among other features it has) :) My father does exactly the same - he can remember everything from the past up to every single detail and when he reminds past, it's like a full-size movie with every single detail. So yep, it seems like you can use very vivid imagination but according to your description it's more related to what you've already experienced in past :)

Associative connections are more Ne thing and as you see above in your description, you use that too :) Though it's clearly not your mind's first preference :)

Both Ne and Si always work together according to my understanding. I can clearly see that in myself too but Ne heavily overpowers in most cases: I do use past knowledge and information as base but then associations take over and create unique compositions about "what could be" and Si base is heavily shadowed by it and couldn't be even detected any more. I guess you now get an idea how this tandem works :)

As I've experienced, Ne is non-linear and expansive perception while Si is more linear and fact-based perception. Proof of this is that for example, I really can't summon back past memories in the way you can - I have only "snapshots" of the information about past in my memory but very vague if not to say, almost no details.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes, it’s like, I can reference 1000s of different sources to craft my own imaginative storylines...but the source comes from something I’ve either witnessed, experienced, read or watched before. The focus seems to be more on what elements and details I’ve absorbed and find interesting, than pulling out ideas from thin air...which to me Ne leads seem great at doing and I really do admire that ability!

It’s weird because for a long time I did see myself as a Ne auxiliary at least (mostly cause I love fiction and come across as really idealistic and dreamy) but when I’ve actually dived into other type descriptions I found that I could see more examples of inferior Ne in me. I read fiction and engage in crafts as a way to explore and be creative, but in a non pressured way. It’s when I took a step back actually from typology and just lived my life, that’s when I got realisations that behaviour wise NP is not my best fit and ISXJ fits me better. Though it took me a long time to realise and even accept this. I mean, type stereotypes are NPs are awesome (yes they are!!! And I agree with that stereotype!) BUT Sensors especially SJs are boorish plain mindless drones. So I don’t really blame myself for not wanting to explore the potential SJ typing😆

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Oh yes, it’s like, I can reference 1000s of different sources to craft my own imaginative storylines...but the source comes from something I’ve either witnessed, experienced, read or watched before. The focus seems to be more on what elements and details I’ve absorbed and find interesting, than pulling out ideas from thin air...which to me Ne leads seem great at doing and I really do admire that ability!
Yep, facts and data first :) And that works as correctly as N-preference although quite differently: we all can see that the sun rises every day, ball falls down when we drop it from our hands and so on. So why it shouldn't work the same way tomorrow?

It’s weird because for a long time I did see myself as a Ne auxiliary at least (mostly cause I love fiction and come across as really idealistic and dreamy) but when I’ve actually dived into other type descriptions I found that I could see more examples of inferior Ne in me. I read fiction and engage in crafts as a way to explore and be creative, but in a non pressured way. It’s when I took a step back actually from typology and just lived my life, that’s when I got realisations that behaviour wise NP is not my best fit and ISXJ fits me better. Though it took me a long time to realise and even accept this. I mean, type stereotypes are NPs are awesome (yes they are!!! And I agree with that stereotype!) BUT Sensors especially SJs are boorish plain mindless drones. So I don’t really blame myself for not wanting to explore the potential SJ typing😆
I guess that's because personality tests are composed in biased way: it easily seems "more cool" to lean towards N-type answers as then you feel you're interesting person not a freaking drone who does things the same way every day, right :)

Ne aux is quite heavy on Ne as I've seen in many people around me. But they have also much stronger Si (when developed enough, it could feel even similar to Si dom) than Ne doms who have those perceptions in very unbalanced positions. This could be misleading in some cases while typing yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, facts and data first :) And that works as correctly as N-preference although quite differently: we all can see that the sun rises every day, ball falls down when we drop it from our hands and so on. So why it shouldn't work the same way tomorrow?

I guess that's because personality tests are composed in biased way: it easily seems "more cool" to lean towards N-type answers as then you feel you're interesting person not a freaking drone who does things the same way every day, right :)

Ne aux is quite heavy on Ne as I've seen in many people around me. But they have also much stronger Si (when developed enough, it could feel even similar to Si dom) than Ne doms who have those perceptions in very unbalanced positions. This could be misleading in some cases while typing yourself.
Yeah there’s a lot of misleading and confusion when it comes to self typing :0 it’s quite hard actually to figure out how what is real vs what is idealised

1 - 11 of 11 Posts