Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across the Myers-Briggs Personality classifications a few weeks ago, but I never really took it seriously. It wasn't until a few days ago when I decided to actually classify myself. It was quite the shock when I realized that every description I read regarding ISTP's fit me perfectly! What began as an activity to pass 5 minutes soon became a day long obsession, as I looked to gain as much information on ISTP's as I could.

What I discovered was a complete contradiction to who I thought I was. I was always a bit "odd" growing up. While I played in and loved sports, I was never one of the socially cool kids like my teammates. I stayed in and played computer games while they were out fooling around with girls.

Needless to say, thinking I was odd and different wasn't so great for my confidence. Self-image is so important, especially growing up, that it took years and years before I finally raised my self-esteem to where I became a "cool" guy. Something was still off though. I didn't socialize as much as most people I know. Sometimes I like to stay in alone on Friday nights. Ex-girlfriends considered me an unemotional monster. I was looking for reasons to why I was so weird and odd. I then came across this.

It was a such a great feeling to discover that I wasn't an oddball extrovert, but a completely normal and cool ISTP! I would definitely not change it for the world. What was once depression, is now a feeling of being content.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well at least you are a guy... Try growing up as an ISTP girl... It's even more difficult for us I think because of the socially accepted norms, that we are not

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Well at least you are a guy... Try growing up as an ISTP girl... It's even more difficult for us I think because of the socially accepted norms, that we are not

I say kick the norms to the curb and just be yourself. So what if "society" hates ya for it, I find I am just that much happier not having to "act"

·
Registered
305 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse.

Enjoy your new found freedom. It feels especially good in the first few days. Interacting with others without being 'depressed' about your seemingly anti-social Ti brings about a lot of freedom. I love it.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Welcome, deebeecyo...you're in good company.

·
Registered
236 Posts
LOL, sounds just like me.

I have this quirky balance between being a nerd and a jock, but not quite in the redzone to be classified as either one. Made me feel like I never quite fit in growing up, because I wasn't all the way excepted by both groups. It's even wierder because I guess I'm like an extroverted introvert, I like being out and about doing stuff around people; but I don't like being the center of attention, and I'm perfectly happy just analyzing the scene. Glad I know myself better now. Wish I took this test a little bit sooner, so I would have had some more confidence in myself at younger age.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
welcome to the asylum.

Same deal, had a horrible time blending in with society before i took some tests to figure out "wtf is wrong". After accepting im never going to be one of the "normal people" my self esteem and confidence have gone through the roof.

Reactions: Ducati_hottie

·
Registered
81 Posts
LOL, sounds just like me.

Wish I took this test a little bit sooner, so I would have had some more confidence in myself at younger age.
Me too, would have saved a lot of problems in my life as well. I learned about this 4 years ago, and it has been life changing. At the time I was broken....miserable, having marriage problems, a mid-life crisis (yes women can have a midlife crisis), and this fixed me. I'm eternally grateful. But I feel this should be more widely known and used. Maybe even before people are allowed to get married. Make them take the test and get specific counseling as to their differences and how they need to deal with them. Maybe the divorce rate wouldn't be so high.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yes welcome... you're going to enjoy it here. :happy:

I've been here nearly eight months, and almost every day I'm still surprised to see the uncanny resemblance between me and the people here.

where I met people I could finally relate to. People who liked trance, were pseudo sociopathic
Lol. :tongue:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Isn't it great? I finally realize that I'm not some sort of freak, just an ISTP :happy:. This forum has helped me a lot in regard to knowing myself and relating to others. Welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts