Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for INTPs. Do you have a problem with the phrasing, "Completely oblivious."? If so, why?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
It's redundant. I don't really care though.

Reactions: Peripheral

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I doubt anyone is "completely oblivious," and it usually just means they're heavily focused on something other than what the commentator is prioritizing... not that they are "completely oblivious." (The commentator is equally oblivious to whatever is legitimately occupying the repicipient's mind.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
No opinion on it, what does bug me is when people say "I could care less!" I always reply with "Good, that means you do care"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some expressions are not meant literally and they are used more for the effect. Like I could say "I saw red when the stupid person asked me a stupid question" what I mean is that I got angry and not that I hacked at their neck with the thin bit until the blood gushed across the floor.

Also look up oblivious and it can mean to be unaware of something OR not concerned about something. That means I can say "I was oblivious to the fact that Michael Jackson died" which would mean, in my case, that I didn't care that Michael Jackson had died.

So I guess it just depends on the context.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Some expressions are not meant literally and they are used more for the effect. Like I could say "I saw red when the stupid person asked me a stupid question" what I mean is that I got angry and not that I hacked at their neck with the thin bit until the blood gushed across the floor.

Also look up oblivious and it can mean to be unaware of something OR not concerned about something. That means I can say "I was oblivious to the fact that Michael Jackson died" which would mean, in my case, that I didn't care that Michael Jackson had died.

So I guess it just depends on the context.
I don't like metaphors in general but you have no idea how often I hear "I literally saw red" or the like.

LOL that's the only thing that really bugs me. So at least they didn't say that.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I don't like metaphors in general but you have no idea how often I hear "I literally saw red" or the like.

LOL that's the only thing that really bugs me. So at least they didn't say that.
Whoa, whoa...let's not hate on metaphors. But I think we can all literally agree that "literally" is literally one of the literally most overused terms by people who literally don't know how to use hyperbole well. Literally.

I also "couldn't" care less, @stuff, about the phrase "completely oblivious" because I suppose there could be different levels of obliviousness. You could be be only marginally oblivious to something, right? Right? Anyone?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Whoa, whoa...let's not hate on metaphors. But I think we can all literally agree that "literally" is literally one of the literally most overused terms by people who literally don't know how to use hyperbole well. Literally.

I also "couldn't" care less, @stuff, about the phrase "completely oblivious" because I suppose there could be different levels of obliviousness. You could be be only marginally oblivious to something, right? Right? Anyone?
Literally.

For me "oblivious" does imply that you're completely oblivious but I agree. I would say "somewhat" oblivious if I were describing a level of oblivious less than what one would naturally assume but that one doesn't bother me much, anyway.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Illogical surface language doesn't bother me when the meaning underneath is clear to me.

Reactions: nevermore

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I’d be all like, yo momma.
Mah INTP posse would totally back me up.

Then I’d do arithmetic on mah slide rule cos calculators are fo pussies, yanowatimsayin ?
I don't use no calculator son! This ain't the 15th century! The TI-nspire cx handheld is where itz at

·
Registered
4,315 Posts

You're literally right one.... literally.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I say "LIT-rl-ee" when I say it, to emphasize how stupid it is to say literally all the time.
I never understood the point in using the world "literally." The word doesn't add any more affect to the subject. To me it means that I shouldn't take the other comments the person said at face value since he/she didn't "literally" mean what they said.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts