Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for me, it's that they're too damn loud.

Lately it seems that I've been noticing a lot that people want to fill every blissful silence with their own domineering voices. Especially in the US social culture in conversation people seem to want to talk over each other, talk louder, have THEIR voice be the one that's heard. People interrupting each other and getting louder and louder without even listening to the other person. They aren't engaging in conversation, it's more like they think the conversation is their stage to pontificate upon.

In other ways too. I just spent a couple days hiking and crossed several groups of people that actually had little stereos playing while they were hiking. I was there to get away from civilization, hear the wind in the trees, the birds singing and have space for my own thoughts. I just didn't understand why these people felt they needed to fill that wonderful stillness with bad pop music and news updates.

It's almost like silence is something they have to dominate.

I don't get it.

What bugs you about (most) people?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
This is a very big issue that I have with most people as well. It's so rare to find a person that doesn't need to fill a silence, that I can't help but hold onto any that I find for dear life(subsequently frightening them away).

I also can't stand how everybody is always trying to win the approval of their friends/coworkers/peers. Why do you care what they think of you? Why are you making such a big deal about being liked?

The fact that so many people freak out if you don't agree with everything they say. I'm not an automaton asshole, and it's unlikely that you're the final authority on the subject.

Why does my neighbor want to get to know me? I'm not interested in you or your little family. And no, I'm not going to come to a block party.

Why do I need to take a shower everyday? If I'm not leaving the house there's no point.

I don't really care if you believe in a superstitious deity that throws a tantrum every time somebody gets a blowjob, as long as you don't try to shove it down my throat(did you see what I did there? :cool:).

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
The fact that so many people freak out if you don't agree with everything they say.
They freak out because it scares them to think they could be following something that's wrong; thus, to avoid such a fear, they make sure everyone else is doing the same as them.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They freak out because it scares them to think they could be following something that's wrong; thus, to avoid such a fear, they make sure everyone else is doing the same as them.
I would say this also goes for not just verbally disagreeing with people but also for living your life in a way that is different from theirs. It makes them question their value and belief system.

·
Registered
551 Posts
[...] people seem to want to talk over each other, talk louder, have THEIR voice be the one that's heard. People interrupting each other and getting louder and louder without even listening to the other person. They aren't engaging in conversation, it's more like they think the conversation is their stage to pontificate upon.
Definitely this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I definitely don't like when people try and cut your off if they've had their turn. OR even if you aren't stopping because you want to finish your thought so they talk louder. I've recently actually had a few polite chuckles though, when a person and I are talking and we sort of start at the same time and I say "Oh you go first" or "Sorry?" and we honestly battle for a few seconds trying to get the other to go first. It's quite amusing.

I have to agree that when people freak out that you have a different opinion, it's pretty annoying.

I haven't posted in so long haha.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I hang out with my friends once a week or so and saw them all last night. At one point, two were texting, one was on facebook, and the other was googling something and I was wondering wtf I was even doing there.
It's like groups of your favorite people aren't even capable of providing enough stimulation for even relatively short periods of time.

Granted if I'm on my own, as I am 95% of the time I have all the options in the world to do whatever I want, but if I'm socializing I expect that we actually spend time catching up.

A big part of me realizes that socializing as we used to know it is slowly becoming extinct.

·
Registered
353 Posts
for me, it's that they're too damn loud.

Lately it seems that I've been noticing a lot that people want to fill every blissful silence with their own domineering voices. Especially in the US social culture in conversation people seem to want to talk over each other, talk louder, have THEIR voice be the one that's heard. People interrupting each other and getting louder and louder without even listening to the other person. They aren't engaging in conversation, it's more like they think the conversation is their stage to pontificate upon.
Oh God you are so right, I hate loud people too and specially those who can't shut the fuck up and interrupt all the time. I had this friend that was always talking all the time no matter what, he had to tell everyone what to do all the time and whenever someone tried to speak to him he would interrupt and sometimes even say "whatever, shut up, I don't care" so he could keep talking. At the end I was so tired of him I decided to completely ignore him, which pissed him off to the point of threatening me, now he hates me, a lot :)

Also, I hate when I'm watching the TV with my mom and her boyfriend and there's something important going on (I'm very interested in global politics) and they are talking loud about meaningless stuff; that really pisses me off.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I hang out with my friends once a week or so and saw them all last night. At one point, two were texting, one was on facebook, and the other was googling something and I was wondering wtf I was even doing there.
It's like groups of your favorite people aren't even capable of providing enough stimulation for even relatively short periods of time.

Granted if I'm on my own, as I am 95% of the time I have all the options in the world to do whatever I want, but if I'm socializing I expect that we actually spend time catching up.

A big part of me realizes that socializing as we used to know it is slowly becoming extinct.
At that point I would just get up and leave. I love just sitting down with people and catching up or talking about something interesting (which is pretty much anything). I hate that people are just sitting there texting all the time when they are literally right next to the same people they are texting.

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
At that point I would just get up and leave. I love just sitting down with people and catching up or talking about something interesting (which is pretty much anything). I hate that people are just sitting there texting all the time when they are literally right next to the same people they are texting.
yeah, I was gonna comment on that. I've done that occasionally as a total joke (because the person wouldn't expect a text from me), but it seems more and more common as routine practice by people. I was with my kids the other day and my son upstairs texted me to bring something up to him; he's lucky I even had my phone nearby, as I was charging it; but I was like, "Dude! Are you lazy or what?"

It's annoying to go out to dinner or to a small gathering and everyone is just texting / surfing the net. I don't mind an occasional check-in (like if your phone buzzes and you want to see who it is and even text them something quickly), but I don't want to spend the entire meal watching you play around on your phone.

I used to wear my iPod when I went hiking and have my cell phone active; now, while I still take my phone (to take pictures), I have it on Airplane mode to kill the 'net feed, and I don't wear my iPod and just listen to nature instead. The phone/net/noise fixation is really like an addiction; there's no reason I should be getting antsy/jittery any time I am disconnected from the 'net in some way.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
...I wish they'd all die.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts