Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
13,978 Posts
The More You Read Online, the Worse You Write A study of MBA students finds both complexity and style in writing suffer when people read mostly digital content.

It's Official—the Internet Is Making Us Dumb: The More You Read Online, the Worse You Write | Alternet

I think internet is creating dumb people by feeding their biases. This created a lot of bubble heads that can't apply critical thought to anything.

" I am too stupid to think, therefore I will let YouTube video, and memes think for me"

·
Spam-I-am
13,600 Posts
I think internet is creating dumb people by feeding their biases. This created a lot of bubble heads that can't apply critical thought to anything.

" I am too stupid to think, therefore I will let YouTube video, and memes think for me"
and the countless political radio shows such as rush limbaugh and micheal savage
the number of people who quote these to buffoons is astounding
rather then gather the info them selves they rely on electronic media

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
To be a little more detailed...from the article:
"The study found students who consume primarily digital content (such as Reddit and Buzzfeed) had the lowest writing complexity scores, while those who often read literature and academic journals had the highest levels of writing complexity."

I think it is more what you read and how the content is being provided. They could flip it and give people tabloids and have another group reading academic journals online, and the title would be "Digital content makes you a better writer."

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I don't know that I buy this. Seems like old people forged a shitty study to confirm what they already thought: That the irritating internet is making the young'uns dumber.

Cover letters are a very particular type of writing and of course if someone has been reading academic journals and shit, their language is going to sound more varied and professional in a cover letter.

They need to do a study about writing fiction, or simply communicating ideas, and see what the results are. Having a few college students do cover letters means jack shit.

Hell, it's not like you can't do both... read reddit and buzzfeed, and read literature and academic journals. Where's the evidence that cutting out an entire part of reading is a good thing?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The More You Read Online, the Worse You Write A study of MBA students finds both complexity and style in writing suffer when people read mostly digital content.

It's Official—the Internet Is Making Us Dumb: The More You Read Online, the Worse You Write | Alternet
UCLA study finds that searching the Internet increases brain function | UCLA
This study finds the exact opposite conclusion, that the Internet in fact improves both decision-making and complex reasoning skills.

In general the Internet is just too new of an invention for truly comprehensive and conclusive studies to be done about its effects on intelligence, but it is at the very least vital to global communications and business, as well as being a great tool for education so the Internet is mostly definitely a good thing overall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In general the Internet is just too new of an invention for truly comprehensive and conclusive studies to be done about its effects on intelligence, but it is at the very least vital to global communications and business, as well as being a great tool for education so the Internet is mostly definitely a good thing overall.
I completely agree, and I think the studies like the one in OP are conducted purely for the ego of those who conduct it. The sampling size of the study is only 48 MBA students and was conducted through an email survey. So, this isn't real science we're dealing with here. Honestly I think alternet picked it up for the clickbait title it could slap on.

Anyway, the internet is an amazing tool for archival purposes, for education, for communication (skype and email!), and for..... fuckin around on reddit and forums.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
@ArmchairCommie

Or perhaps stupid people will do stupid things on the internet and so they become more stupid. I dont think saying we all become stupid is really fair and the internet does have a good benifit to a number of people in my opinion. I know it helped me to write better as it forced me to correct my spelling, grammar and figure out how to writer on a forum. Also you will learn writing on forum has different rules vs writing a book rules.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
It depends on how the internet is used. It's merely a tool. It made me much smarter. I wouldn't be half of what I've become without the internet.

·
Banned
5,979 Posts
It depends on how the internet is used. It's merely a tool. It made me much smarter. I wouldn't be half of what I've become without the internet.
I reckon I just know more things with it. Unless you go to certain places, the Internet isn't a very good place to exercise critical thinking skills.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Garbage knowledge+inability to think for yourself = regression. Online or offline it matters not.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
To be a little more detailed...from the article:
"The study found students who consume primarily digital content (such as Reddit and Buzzfeed) had the lowest writing complexity scores, while those who often read literature and academic journals had the highest levels of writing complexity."

I think it is more what you read and how the content is being provided. They could flip it and give people tabloids and have another group reading academic journals online, and the title would be "Digital content makes you a better writer."
I think that detail is quite important. It isn't that the Internet is making us dumb. It is that the content on the Internet has the potentially of making us dumb by way of lowering writing skills. That being said, there are still a lot of smart things to digest on the Internet :happy:.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree it is all about the content rather than the medium. Your body might be what you eat, but your intellect ends up being what you read, listen and talk about.

In computer science there is a term for it: "garbage in, garbage out"

·
The No More Hero
18,285 Posts
I reckon I just know more things with it. Unless you go to certain places, the Internet isn't a very good place to exercise critical thinking skills.
People who don't do it online will not do it offline either. It's a matter of education. The Internet will hardly change that.
After all people do not read books because they were not educated to do so. Do you read books?

·
Banned
5,979 Posts
People who don't do it online will not do it offline either. It's a matter of education. The Internet will hardly change that.
After all people do not read books because they were not educated to do so. Do you read books?
Almost never, I have to admit. I did read books on the first year of my sixth form, I think.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts