Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Official: The Universe Is Dying Slowly (source)

by Nola Taylor Redd | August 11, 2015 12:54am ET

The most comprehensive assessment of the energy output in the nearby universe reveals that today's produced energy is only about half of what it was 2 billion years ago. A team of international scientists used several of the world's most powerful telescopes to study the energy of the universe and concluded that the universe is slowly dying.

"We used as many space- and ground-based telescopes as we could get our hands on to measure the energy output of over 200,000 galaxies across as broad a wavelength range as possible," Galaxy And Mass Assembly (GAMA) team leader Simon Driver, of the University of Western Australia, said in a statement. The astronomers created a video explaining the slow death of the universe to illustrate the discovery.

When the Big Bang created the energy of the universe about 13.8 billion years ago, some portion of that energy found itself locked up as mass. When stars shine, they are converting that mass back into energy, as described by Albert Einstein's famous equation E=mc[SUP]2[/SUP] (energy = mass x speed of light squared). [From the Big Bang to Now in 10 Easy Steps]

"While most of the energy sloshing around in the universe arose in the aftermath of the Big Bang, additional energy is constantly being generated by stars as they fuse elements like hydrogen and helium together," Driver said.

A composite picture showing how a typical galaxy appears at different wavelengths. The GAMA survey has measured the energy output of more than 200,000 galaxies, confirming that the energy produced in one section is only about half its value of 2 billion years ago. In short, the universe is slowly dying, scientists say.

Credit: ICRAR/GAMA and ESOView full size image

"This new energy is either absorbed by dust as it travels through the host galaxy, or escapes into intergalactic space and travels until it hits something, such as another star, a planet, or, very occasionally, a telescope mirror."

Astronomers have known that the universe is slowly fading out since the late 1990s. Using several telescopes on the ground, as well as NASA's orbiting GALEX and WISE and the European Space Agency's Herschel, the team found that the energy output is dropping over 21 different wavelengths, making their results the most comprehensive assessment to date of the energy output of the nearby universe.

"The universe will decline from here on in, sliding gently into old age," Driver said.

"The universe has basically sat down on the sofa, pulled up a blanket, and is about to nod off for an eternal doze," he said.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
So, really just further and more comprehensive proof of the entropic heat death of the universe, which has been accepted by scientists for some time now. I believe it was Lord Kelvin who first suggested the idea of the "entropic heat death" of the universe some time in the 1850s?

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
I say farewell to thee.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
we salute you old friend
you have been a gracious host to a most ungracious species
may the force be with you
R.I.P. amigo
To quote Col. Hans Landa from Inglourious Basterds, "The Fuhrer couldn't have said it better himself!"

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
I've known this since like the 6th grade. Pretty sure it's been official for quite a while.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,444 Posts
Hasn't it been known for some time that the universe was brighter in its early years?

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
So the universe is producing less energy...? basically?

This is horeshit. There's only God, jesus, and my Volkswagen.

But seriously, every time something like this is mentioned, I just think...why do we spend our lives focusing on such petty things? humanity should stop focusing on such short-sighted desires. Maybe now instead of waiting for somebody to ask me "what do you do" I'll just be like "hey, the universe is dying. What do you think about that? does it really matter what my job is? maybe we're both just space-dust. Would you care then?"

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
More tax dollars spent to confirm the obvious. I'm sure the homeless people are thankful that the money was spent on discovering the universe may collapse in a couple of billion years rather than something for them to eat. Yay....humanity.

·
Premium Member
15,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More tax dollars spent to confirm the obvious. I'm sure the homeless people are thankful that the money was spent on discovering the universe may collapse in a couple of billion years rather than something for them to eat. Yay....humanity.
I'd like to hear an answer to that idea of yours. Makes me think of getting hold of one of the 100 international astronomers that conducted this study, ask them, if it's been known for some time that the cosmic storehouse of energy is declining, why seek to further pinpoint it with such unprecedented precision? Why didn't you feed the homeless? I wonder what they would say.

To the fascinating, mysterious, beautiful Universe I say -

"... Well now, everything dies, baby, that's a fact
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back
Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty
And meet me tonight in Atlantic City..."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts