Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and dysgraphic and ADD to boot.

:sad:

I keep on saying and doing really stupid and embarrassing things due to my continually mixing up letters, numbers, words, phrases, locations, etc.

:frustrating:

I am sure I have a moderate to severe case of all three!

Can anyone else relate to this?

Reactions: lightwing

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sometimes, when I get to "lecturing" (I try not to...hated it when my dad would to me) my kids, I'll say the exact opposite of what I mean. It was perfectly right in my head, and what I'm attempting to get across is perfectly legitimate, but somewhere between my head and my mouth, the grammar gets inverted so that the negatives are positives, etc...

At that point, I usually just give up.

It happens a lot too when I'm trying to explain something to strangers or coworkers. More specifically around people I'm not comfortable with. It's almost painful because it's like I'm somehow confirming for them what I think they think about me. Could be tied to self confidence issues with me. :frustrating:

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes, when I get to "lecturing" (I try not to...hated it when my dad would to me) my kids, I'll say the exact opposite of what I mean. It was perfectly right in my head, and what I'm attempting to get across is perfectly legitimate, but somewhere between my head and my mouth, the grammar gets inverted so that the negatives are positives, etc...

At that point, I usually just give up.

It happens a lot too when I'm trying to explain something to strangers or coworkers. More specifically around people I'm not comfortable with. It's almost painful because it's like I'm somehow confirming for them what I think they think about me. Could be tied to self confidence issues with me. :frustrating:
Well, I think it can work both ways: constantly making these sorts of mistakes can obviously lead to decreased confidence and decreased confidence contributes to making more and more of these mistakes - despite our best efforts. I bolded the last part cuz I can totally relate. I've either been accused of being stupid, lazy, crazy, passive-aggressive, disruptive . . . the list goes on and on. I also have his tendency to repeat myself when my mind gets fuzzy cuz I can't remember what I just said like five minutes ago and people think I'm being rude, obstinate or playing some sort of mind games with them; so yeah, I KNOW exactly how you feel. ::HUGS::

Reactions: lightwing

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tell me about it. I can't even get my license because of mixing my rights and lefts all the time :(

Forget spelling or pronounciation, especially with names, I won't remember. And don't expect me to have a long conversation with you if its through oral speech cause I will never be able pay attention to what I'm saying out loud and all you'll hear is "mhdugnumhfamanjdijsi"

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It is hard to take on your shoes.. Or well, not... yes and no.

I was thinking the other day, dyslexia must be like having lost a limb.
It is actually pretty servere handicap to have.

Sometimes in school we would be asking eachother questions like, "If you had to choose, would you then rather be blind or deaf"
A pretty hard question.

Both my father and brother are dyslexic, and I dont know if it rubbed on me genetics wise or otherwise.
I had extra special help for a duration in school, and I only rarely struggle. Not that I think the outside help was the main factor in changing anything.

My mom is so used to reading out loud, that when she picks uo a paper or something, it is automatically read out loud.

I often wonder, exactly how is it experienced?

·
The No More Hero
18,285 Posts
If you need to talk, you can always talk to me. I know your feelings way to well being dyslexic and all. I always thought girls had it worse on this because guys get kind of a free pass dyslexic are mostly male and girls are said to be lazy and need to focus/put more efford into this.

·
Spam-I-am
13,780 Posts
your'e fine
we're all a little bit fucked up anyway
no one is perfect so accept your self
and if no one else will accept you then fuck'em
they are not your friends anyway

1 - 10 of 10 Posts