Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO.. very first time i ever took the personality type test I got ENFP for the longest time that's all I ever would get.

Recently I took it again and happened to get ISTJ i thought to myself, okay, I can kind of see that.. but I wasn't satisfied and was shocked at the drastic change so I thought to myself.. I'm going to take this again. Then I got ENFJ which I can very easily relate to, more so than ISTJ and ENFP but I still wanted to make sure I was coming up with the same result more than once.. Took the test again, and got INFP.

See, now normally in my life i'm very extroverted. But lately I've been pretty solitary. I yearn to go out and do things but haven't been able to bring myself to want to meet new people like I used to and am just content with whom I already know right now. But that doesn't change the fact that when I'm with people (as uncomfortable it may be for me at first) I enjoy myself.

so from my past I find it hard to see the introvert in myself. I feel given different circumstances I am still an extrovert. and my husband certainly doesn't see the introvert in me because I'm totally comfortable with him and act differently with him than I would with somebody else.

Is it possible to be an introvert to those whom you don't know (and not want to get to know them)
But once you do get to know them you then become extroverted around them and are happy you did get to know them after all?

Sorry.. But maybe this will help somebody who's reading this that knows more about personality types.. help me figure this out :unsure:

I'M SO CONFUSED!

so if this made any sense at all.. (because i feel like i'm rambling..) please lend me a hand.

Thanks guys.:blushed:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Best way to determine your type would be to read about cognitive functions and determine which ones you see in yourself. These will typically be the ones that you can relate to the most. Don't try to correlate them to a single event in your life, think about it holistically, over span of many years, which ones have been most comfortable fit for you? Usually people have a good feel for their dominant and auxiliary, and some feel for the tertiary, and reverse orientation of dominant (i.e. Ni users will also understand Ne).

Some good functional descriptions here:
ENFP Wiki
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
Function Attitude
Intro to function theory: personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

Extravert/introvert definition you have to expand a bit and move them away from people-based definition. Extraversion simply means more desire to interact with environment, whether there are people in it or not is irrelevant. Typically for F-type extraverts this interaction will be related to people somehow (giving a speech, volunteering, visiting a friend, etc.) but like I said extraversion doesn't have to revolve around people. Any time your attention switches to outside environment instead of to the world inside your mind, this is extraversion.

Extraversion vs Introversion:
Orienting
Cocooning-vs.-Conforming Exegesis
Negotiation Exegesis

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's completely normal for extraverts as well as introverts to not always want to meet new people. Very few extraverts need no personal time at all. So, seeing that you enjoy meeting new people, and want to, even though you dont' feel like it at present, does not make you an introvert.

Also, wanting to spend more time by yourself and with people you already know is a normal reaction to changed circumstances and events in your life. That doesn't mean that you personality has changed, just that you are reacting to something in your life. Do you feel that could make sense in your case?

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
Before I metaphorically rubber stamp an MBTI type on your forehead; I have a few questions if you don't mind.

• How old are you?
  • What type do you think your husband is?
  • How long have you been married?
  • Have there been any major life changes or stress factors lately?
  • Why are you uncomfortable when you're with people at first?
  • How do you feel after the get together?
  • What are your thoughts on chatting up strangers?
  • How much do you socialize/interact with others on an average day at work, home, or elsewhere? (especially face to face)
Oh! That reminds me of something else.

• Do you prefer interacting online or in person?
  • Do you ever find yourself saying things out loud before typing them?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Look into isfp or esfp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I metaphorically rubber stamp an MBTI type on your forehead; I have a few questions if you don't mind.

• How old are you?
  • What type do you think your husband is?
  • How long have you been married?
  • Have there been any major life changes or stress factors lately?
  • Why are you uncomfortable when you're with people at first?
  • How do you feel after the get together?
  • What are your thoughts on chatting up strangers?
  • How much do you socialize/interact with others on an average day at work, home, or elsewhere? (especially face to face)
Oh! That reminds me of something else.

• Do you prefer interacting online or in person?
  • Do you ever find yourself saying things out loud before typing them?
Okay here are the answers to your Q's :

1. I'll be 23 on Sunday :laughing:

2.I'm going on 9 years of marriage

3.There have been quite a few stress factors in my life lately.. and I'm in the middle of trying to reinvent myself so to speak... I guess a better way of saying that is that i'm trying to live up to morals and ethics that I have established for myself, and be more in control of my emotional behavior.

4. I'm uncomfortable when I meet people mostly because I'm not sure what they will think of me, or what I will think of them for that matter. I'm not shallow, but most of the time they do and say things that make me think they are shallow, naive, and brainwashed by our culture.. By nature I'm a nice person and try to find the good in everyone, But when somebody isn't on the same "level of consciousness" as i am, It tends to make me uncomfortable and anxious. And besides all of that nonsense, I'm typically afriad of getting too close to someone in fear of being let down by them.. It's hard to find genuine people whom I can really relate to and trust. thirdly, and most importantly.. I'm an army wife, I don't see the point anymore in trying to make friends and get close to people when I know that eventually, either they are going to leave, or I will.
(sorry that was long winded lol)

5. Depending on what the people who I'm around are like I can feel either very energized, or extremely drained. If they're funny and I'm having fun, I'll be happy after the get together, but if they're personalities clash with mine I'll typically feel very drained from "entertaining" them.

6. As far as interaction goes, I prefer talking to my family and friends online in chat or through email. I don't mind talking to my husband or close friends on the phone, but other than that I usually am not much of a phone person.

7. Face to Face interaction is seldom.. I have a neighbor who comes by occasional and we sit on the front porch and talk with our coffee's, My husband and children of course :tongue: , When out and about I'll usually have friendly conversation with the cashier (if they start one) But i've also been known to say something to someone when sitting in a waiting room at the doctors office... it just depends.

8. LMAO this question made me laugh, I almost always find myself saying things out loud before I type them... especially if It's something I find entertaining or am excited to let the other person know what I'm thinking.. that's funny.:happy:

Alrighty, so I think those are the answers to your Questions! I hope to hear back from you soon! I find all of this so interesting. And i'm so glad that I actually got reply's from all of you!

XO Jill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I AM NOT ENFP AND NOT ESFP... I am an SFP though... I believe I am ISFP.. But i'm still going to do more research.

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
You might be an S but I'd be surprised if you turned out to be an actual I. I'll grant that you're shy but that doesn't make you an introvert.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You might be an S but I'd be surprised if you turned out to be an actual I. I'll grant that you're shy but that doesn't make you an introvert.
Here are some of the examples I've been reading that resonate with me (as introvert):

Portrait of an ISFP

I see that although I am quite comfortable and open with my husband, I've been trying to compare it to how i interact with people other than those I feel comfortable and open around. I've also been trying to think about how I was before the age of 12 when my core personality was more pure and unchanged by life lessons learned. I've realized that although I have always been outgoing, happy go lucky and easy to get along with, It's been a shield to hide what I'm truly feeling inside.

I do require personal space from others and I tend to feel overwhelmed if I do not get time alone and away from people. And although I have a hard time accepting being "left alone" by those I love.. Once I am alone, I REALLY enjoy it. (the separation anxiety comes from a completely different place.. that is actually a product of an experience)

Also, just a question.. is it just me that notices this??? The more I've been searching through the forums the more I've noticed that there are certain personality types that have bad grammar and a ton of spelling mistakes...I'm not trying to say that I don't have the occasional spelling mistake, but I am more inclined to read over what I have written to make sure it makes sense, and If it doesn't i correct it. just a pet peeve of mine. lol

Also, I find it quite difficult to say wether I'm one or the other in some instances because there are SO MANY DIFFERENT explanations for introvert VS. extrovert. I get the jist of it.. and I know that i can very easily relate to both.. my guess is that i teeter totter by a very thin line in between the two.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
SO.. very first time i ever took the personality type test I got ENFP for the longest time that's all I ever would get.

Recently I took it again and happened to get ISTJ i thought to myself, okay, I can kind of see that.. but I wasn't satisfied and was shocked at the drastic change so I thought to myself.. I'm going to take this again. Then I got ENFJ which I can very easily relate to, more so than ISTJ and ENFP but I still wanted to make sure I was coming up with the same result more than once.. Took the test again, and got INFP.

See, now normally in my life i'm very extroverted. But lately I've been pretty solitary. I yearn to go out and do things but haven't been able to bring myself to want to meet new people like I used to and am just content with whom I already know right now. But that doesn't change the fact that when I'm with people (as uncomfortable it may be for me at first) I enjoy myself.

so from my past I find it hard to see the introvert in myself. I feel given different circumstances I am still an extrovert. and my husband certainly doesn't see the introvert in me because I'm totally comfortable with him and act differently with him than I would with somebody else.

Is it possible to be an introvert to those whom you don't know (and not want to get to know them)
But once you do get to know them you then become extroverted around them and are happy you did get to know them after all?

Sorry.. But maybe this will help somebody who's reading this that knows more about personality types.. help me figure this out :unsure:

I'M SO CONFUSED!

so if this made any sense at all.. (because i feel like i'm rambling..) please lend me a hand.

Thanks guys.:blushed:
Here is the problem which goes back to this diluted belief that we can type others. Of course you're going to have days that you may be more introspective or outgoing than other days. Does that mean you changed from being E to I or vice-versa? It means you are most likely allowing your auxiliary function some time to play. Do you believe that because you're a Ne dominant (not saying that you are) type, that you can't use your Si? It's the fourth function of ENP types, and Ne is the fourth function of ISJs.

Problems with typing from assessments is that we change. How we see ourselves today will be different next month, next year and so on. The more you get to know yourself the more consistent you will become with knowing your type. But that takes being honest with yourself and not manipulating the test results (not that you're doing it intentionally). If you are attempting to confirm your type using descriptions, they will be too general since they have to fit a plethora of people of the same type. Having different degrees of use in the functions may make for example, two ENFPs vary in how much Ne they use. One may be heavily extraverted to where they go from Ne to their tertiary function (Te), which will be different from someone who has a better use of the Fi function to create a better balance and possibly be prone to using their Si more than the former. When they see the description, both ENFPs may see themselves somewhat, but can see themselves in descriptions of other types. We can't tell you your type, it's your call. I will say that it should easily be discernible as to whether you're an NF or SJ type by simply determining your temperament.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're still very much an ENFP. Trust me. :wink:
I stand corrected. you are very right. I think I just wanted to make sure for myself because I didn't want to put myself into a "type" until i knew FOR SURE that it was true.

Thanks for ALL THE HELP! :tongue:

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's completely normal for extraverts as well as introverts to not always want to meet new people. Very few extraverts need no personal time at all. So, seeing that you enjoy meeting new people, and want to, even though you dont' feel like it at present, does not make you an introvert.

Also, wanting to spend more time by yourself and with people you already know is a normal reaction to changed circumstances and events in your life. That doesn't mean that you personality has changed, just that you are reacting to something in your life. Do you feel that could make sense in your case?

I know you are not asking me, but I'm wondering if that's why lately I've been getting different results each time also. Because I feel very different in my life right now then I ever have before.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I know you are not asking me, but I'm wondering if that's why lately I've been getting different results each time also. Because I feel very different in my life right now then I ever have before.
Probably... If your situation changes, your behaviour changes. If your situation changes dramatically, your behaviour might change dramatically too. And if your behaviour changes, your test results will change, as they actually measure behaviour, rather than really measuring personality type. And some major life event would very likely also change your self-perception. So yes, your reflection has a lot to it.

This is why it is important to evaluate personality on a long time scale and reflect back on childhood as well.

Reactions: drodri01

·
Registered
75 Posts
Probably... If your situation changes, your behaviour changes. If your situation changes dramatically, your behaviour might change dramatically too. And if your behaviour changes, your test results will change, as they actually measure behaviour, rather than really measuring personality type. And some major life event would very likely also change your self-perception. So yes, your reflection has a lot to it.

This is why it is important to evaluate personality on a long time scale and reflect back on childhood as well.
What a superb response. Like Jill said , some ppl think shes introverted and some extroverted. Every since I started this job I've been testing different. I sit in a room with no windows and abstract and analyze medical records day after day and I use to be around ppl and talk to plp in my past jobs. I really feel I'm an extrovert but I continually test introvert. But I just feel like I am a happy person when I talk and relate to ppl. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts