Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. My friends and I have a lot of difficulty typing me. I have gone from an INFP => ENFP => ESFP => ENFJ and after testing and introspection, I cycle between these four types, most recently ENFJ. Let me know what you think based on this questionnaire posted by Spades.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
As of right now I'm in good standing. I'm graduating high school soon. I'm 18, male, and right now I'm on my laptop while my family is watching a movie.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
I can't link yet, but it was an up close picture of an owl facing the camera straight on. I quite like this picture. I can't find the reflection of the camera in the owl's eyes, but I like the empty road that reflects in its eyes. I also like the texture of the owl feathers.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
This sounds really clique, but my initial reaction would be excitement. I like it when new, interesting things happen. I might feel disappointed about not getting to see the show, but it should be fun to explore. And a fun story to tell later on.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
This is where I shut down. I despise parties. They make me incredibly tense and uncomfortable unless I know the people there and the party doesn't exceed 10 people. Anyway, I'd be apprehensive about going, but I'd go along anyway if that's what the driver wants.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
My inward reaction is curiosity. I'd be interested to know why he/she thinks/feels that. Outwardly, I'd either say nothing or try to subtly ask questions to figure out where they're coming from.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I'd be intrigued. I'd watch for as long as I could, and then, depending on my relationship with people in the car, I'd discuss what I saw with them. It kinda takes a lot to clash with my personal beliefs.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
I believe that mental illness should be respected and treated in a way that benefits the person who's suffering. I couldn't tell you what made me believe this, it just sort of came to me when writing a play. I also believe that there's always more to the story and each individual human is 3-D and complex. Then, possibly my strongest belief, I believe that everybody deserves to speak. Nothing makes me more upset than seeing a person getting muted or censored. Everyone should have the right to speak and have people listen to them.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) The most distinguishing thing about my personality is how quickly it changes. I'm very adaptable and I tend to mold myself to fit into several types of social situations and personalities.
b) If I could change one thing about my personality, I'd want to be sweeter. I'm not the best at being endearing. I truly care about other people and their feelings- I really do- but it's difficult for me to express that sometimes. Sometimes it comes off as cold supportiveness.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
Sometimes I tell myself to ignore them, but in retrospect, my gut feeling is almost always right. That said, I've learned to go with my gut feeling and I'm much happier that way :) These gut feelings are most often triggered at night or in unfamiliar situations.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) Rehearsal! I quite love rehearsing a musical. The singing/dancing/acting and constant business keeps me going. Rehearsal relaxes me.
b) I'm most drained at parties (as I mentioned above). I don't like loud noise or crowds.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I often repress my sexuality. I try to portray a persona that's fairly neutral to the outside world. I call it "selective emotions." So I suppose I suppress my expressiveness.

Thank you guys in advance! I can't wait to discuss!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello. I'm going to say you probably are an ENFP. The Ne here is pretty obvious, you are adaptable, laid-back, like new experiences and are open-minded. As an auxiliary you could easily be displaying Fi - you value individuality and although you are interested in people, which would traditionally be Fe, what made me think of Fi was when you described your views on mental illness - it seems your ethics are largely internally derived. I also think that you are so open to new experiences, ideas and changes in routine, you are unlikely to be a judger. Hope I could help! :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
hi everyone. My friends and I have a lot of difficulty typing me. I have gone from an INFP => ENFP => ESFP => ENFJ and after testing and introspection, I cycle between these four types, most recently ENFJ. Let me know what you think based on this questionnaire posted by Spades.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
As of right now I'm in good standing. I'm graduating high school soon. I'm 18, male, and right now I'm on my laptop while my family is watching a movie.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
I can't link yet, but it was an up close picture of an owl facing the camera straight on. I quite like this picture. I can't find the reflection of the camera in the owl's eyes, but I like the empty road that reflects in its eyes. I also like the texture of the owl feathers.
Typical Se response.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
This sounds really clique, but my initial reaction would be excitement. I like it when new, interesting things happen. I might feel disappointed about not getting to see the show, but it should be fun to explore. And a fun story to tell later on.
New interesting sensational experience - Se.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
This is where I shut down. I despise parties. They make me incredibly tense and uncomfortable unless I know the people there and the party doesn't exceed 10 people. Anyway, I'd be apprehensive about going, but I'd go along anyway if that's what the driver wants.
Could be introversion or simply social anxiety. You're rather easygoing when it comes to people, it seems.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
My inward reaction is curiosity. I'd be interested to know why he/she thinks/feels that. Outwardly, I'd either say nothing or try to subtly ask questions to figure out where they're coming from.
I've never seen this kind of response. It sounds Ti but could be Fi, wanting to dig deep to figure out where this particular judgment in value is coming wrong. Fe is more objective with value judgments. Very surface-level.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I'd be intrigued. I'd watch for as long as I could, and then, depending on my relationship with people in the car, I'd discuss what I saw with them. It kinda takes a lot to clash with my personal beliefs.
I can relate. You seem to be very easygoing regarding this sort of thing. Discuss how? Back up your side? You seem Fi, but not Fi dominant.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
I believe that mental illness should be respected and treated in a way that benefits the person who's suffering. I couldn't tell you what made me believe this, it just sort of came to me when writing a play. I also believe that there's always more to the story and each individual human is 3-D and complex. Then, possibly my strongest belief, I believe that everybody deserves to speak. Nothing makes me more upset than seeing a person getting muted or censored. Everyone should have the right to speak and have people listen to them.
The way you explain your values is very... literal. Not conceptual. You come across as very Se-Fi or Fi-Se. Very "don't put people in a box; they're more complex than that."

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) The most distinguishing thing about my personality is how quickly it changes. I'm very adaptable and I tend to mold myself to fit into several types of social situations and personalities.
Interesting. Sounded Pe and Fe. Do you actually mould yourself into a different personality or do you let other people draw out different sides to you?
b) If I could change one thing about my personality, I'd want to be sweeter. I'm not the best at being endearing. I truly care about other people and their feelings- I really do- but it's difficult for me to express that sometimes. Sometimes it comes off as cold supportiveness.
Very Fi. Have you ever read Jung's description of Fi? The emotion runs very, very deep. It is intensive and not extensive. Other people can't see it, so they arent aware the feeling is there. Is this you?

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
Sometimes I tell myself to ignore them, but in retrospect, my gut feeling is almost always right. That said, I've learned to go with my gut feeling and I'm much happier that way :) These gut feelings are most often triggered at night or in unfamiliar situations.
Sounds Pe and also stereotypically Ni.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) Rehearsal! I quite love rehearsing a musical. The singing/dancing/acting and constant business keeps me going. Rehearsal relaxes me.
Very S over N. Se specifically. You enjoy active hobbies.
b) I'm most drained at parties (as I mentioned above). I don't like loud noise or crowds.
Introvert or socially anxious?

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I often repress my sexuality. I try to portray a persona that's fairly neutral to the outside world. I call it "selective emotions." So I suppose I suppress my expressiveness.
Is this a conscious thing? Sounds both Fi and Fe.

Thank you guys in advance! I can't wait to discuss!
You seem like some kind of XSFP. If not, maybe an XSTP.

P.S. I type based on cognitive functions. Not by "descriptions" of types or by letters (i.e. T or F, N or S, P or J, I or E).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I quite enjoyed receiving your feedback! I have identified as en ESFP for a couple months now, but my friends and I have been noticing Ti/Fe patterns, so now we're back to square one.
Two quick questions- first, what's Pe? I've never heard of it. Is that in reference to extroverted perceiving? I didn't know that was a function lemme look into it. And second, how would you describe the difference between Fi and Fe? It seems like that's a struggle for me to differentiate those.
I quite like how you called my response to 7b "Very Fi." That explains my desire well. I want to be able to connect with people with the emotional depth of an Fi user, but find it difficult to express/""have"" emotion.

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thank you! I quite enjoyed receiving your feedback! I have identified as en ESFP for a couple months now, but my friends and I have been noticing Ti/Fe patterns, so now we're back to square one.
Two quick questions- first, what's Pe? I've never heard of it. Is that in reference to extroverted perceiving? I didn't know that was a function lemme look into it.
Yes, Pe is simply a way to refer to both/either extroverted perceiving function. Ne or Se. They behave similarly, both being somewhat adaptable and flaky and explorative and broad, but while Ne chases possibilities, Se chases sensory experience.

And second, how would you describe the difference between Fi and Fe? It seems like that's a struggle for me to differentiate those.
Feeling is value judgment, just as Thinking is logical judgment. Introverted functions are... ruminative, conclusive, subjective to the individual using them and deep. Extroverted functions are more expansive, adaptable, objective, influenced by external factors and broad.

Fe: Objective value judgment. What's right and what's wrong depends on how the people involved would be affected. External focus in realm of emotions. Face-value.
Fi: Subjective value judgment. What's right and what's wrong is determined through deep internal consideration of the value of something. Internal focus in the realm of emotion. "Still waters run deep."

I quite like how you called my response to 7b "Very Fi." That explains my desire well. I want to be able to connect with people with the emotional depth of an Fi user, but find it difficult to express/""have"" emotion.

Thanks so much!!
You're welcome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much! It seems both of you agree on xxFP which does make sense to me!

It's surprising to me how often I've tested as an ENFP in the past couple weeks. I have a couple ENFP friends that I enjoy analyzing, so it's interesting to think of the possibility of being one myself.

What makes you think Ne over Se and Ni? Looking at my personality, I see the same, but cognitively, I'm not sure which I use more.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I'm leaning ENFP, but you do seem particularly observant, more indicative of Se.

Though -- I note that the situations you've said you're flexible and adaptable in are primarily social situations, and Fe is very adaptable socially. And the answer about your beliefs seems a bit more Fe than Fi as well. I'm not sure ENFJ is wrong for you. I assume you're close on J-P.

How are you when it comes to time and appointments? Do you tend to be early, or late?

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
I am wondering, if you are having this much trouble typing yourself, and others are having this much trouble typing you into one MBTI type, then do you really need to be typed at all? Perhaps your true label is "lucky dip" :laughing: hehe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the reply!

It's interesting to me how ENFP and ENFJ are both options for me considering they use polar opposite functions! My punctuality usually depends on the level of individual responsibility. When it comes to social gatherings/hangouts and sometimes even ensemble rehearsals, I sometimes show up late (with a TON of anxiety). When I'm the host or when I'm holding rehearsal or something to that effect, I'm usually early.

I'm either early and happy or late and filled with anxiety

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha very true.

As I mentioned before, my personality tends to vary and shift. As a soon to be psychologist, I love to analyze personality, and looking at my own personality is sort of a "hard mode."

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello. I'm going to say you probably are an ENFP. The Ne here is pretty obvious, you are adaptable, laid-back, like new experiences and are open-minded. As an auxiliary you could easily be displaying Fi - you value individuality and although you are interested in people, which would traditionally be Fe, what made me think of Fi was when you described your views on mental illness - it seems your ethics are largely internally derived. I also think that you are so open to new experiences, ideas and changes in routine, you are unlikely to be a judger. Hope I could help! :)
The red part seems to be Pe in general. Use of the word "experiences" points to the sensing function. Why did you conclude Ne?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts